Harriet Tubman To Replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

Nimnim

The Nim
The new bill won't come out until 2020.

I guess if the guvment needs to print digital money, they just snap their fingers, but physical money, that takes discussion and planning!

[emoji6]

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the $10 that was being updated in 2020, which will still have Hamilton on the front but with historical female figures on the back.

oldngray

nowhere special
I could be wrong, but I thought it was the $10 that was being updated in 2020, which will still have Hamilton on the front but with historical female figures on the back.

Originally it was going to be the 10 but too many people objected because Hamilton helped create the Treasury. So it fell on Jackson who is no longer politically correct.

Nimnim

The Nim
Originally it was going to be the 10 but too many people objected because Hamilton helped create the Treasury. So it fell on Jackson who is no longer politically correct.

I knew there was a push to get a woman on a bill from rumblings the past couple years. Part of what threw me off if I saw it was reported a group along the lines of "Women on the 20" was influential in this decision. Either way, the 10 was supposed to be updated first, and the 20 in 2030, to the best of my knowledge.

That aside cash is getting to the point of people writing checks at the register. People just don't want to wait the time for a check to be written or change to be given, plastic is where it's going.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Like we have nothing else to spend our money on????? We don't need to come up with more costly projects. Let's make our paper money multi-colored....like Monopoly money. Geez!

P

pickup

Tinfoil hat time: maybe the federal reserve wants to get rid of Jackson because he opposed a central bank and maybe "THEY" want to get rid of the design on the back so that you can't make a picture of the burning World Trade Center buildings by folding the twenty dollar bill in a certain way.

P

pickup

For some reason I can't quote other posts here so in response to the 10 dollar bill issue: maybe the love for Hamilton generated by the hit Broadway show by the same name has compelled a move not to obliterate the bastard that occupies the front of the tenner.

oldngray

nowhere special
1880twenty.jpg

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It wasn't used on paper money till 1957 but was used on coins way before that.
View attachment 78690

AS I SAID.. the FOUNDERS did not want GOD anywhere on our money, government, buildings or writings.

There were, however, political individuals who tried to bring GOD into our currency, and just like the republicans in 1955 did with the bills, this happened..

History of 'In God We Trust'

Page Content
The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW.

This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my hearth I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

To you first I address a subject that must be agitated.

As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861: Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins.
You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.

https://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

DO some math (IVEGOT APACKAGE) 1861 and 1776 is almost a hundred years apart.

TOS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Religious wackjobs have been trying to take over this country since 1861.

So far, this nation has escaped the american taliban. (christians)

TOS.

rickyb

"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves." - Harriet Tubman

so lets get this straight. some people who were slaves, didnt think they were.

reminds me of oldngray who thinks capitalism is freedom.