Harrisburg East Hub

MrsRodrigo

Hi all.

I've been lurking here for ages, finally joined yesterday, have the tour tomorrow at Harrisburg East for PTPH.

Just to get some of the basics out of the way. I'm aware it's hard work, I'm prepared to bust my ass. I know it sucks, I'm more than willing to do what I can every sift. I'm a smaller female, 28, mother of 3. I can deal with all the snark, I'm not a butterfly. I'm well aware to avoid the Sup position that's going to be rammed down my throat, I will join the union, and I fully understand the importance of seniority. My grandfather worked his whole life in the BCTGM up to VP before he died an incredibly untimely death asbestos cancer. I'm going to have a college degree by the end of this year, but I'm still interested in UPS long term, mainly because of the union. My degree is in Human Services, but I've been focusing on community organizing, so I'm interested in becoming invested and active in the union. I have nothing but respect for all of you, and am happy to finally have a shot at joining you all.

I've been searching the internet pretty much non-stop for details about the Harrisburg East Hub and I'm not getting much. I figure this is either a good thing because there's not a lot of complaints about the hub - or bad because no one stays long enough to complain. In truth, I figure it's probably somewhere in the middle. I did read that the west hub is better, but that's not practical for me right now. I'm new to the area and the East Hub is local so that's that.

Anyone have any experience at this hub? Looking to work Twilight, hopefully 4-8ish.

MrsRodrigo

Yeah I've seen it listed worth various start times. The application had 5-11pm, follow up info had 4-10:30pm. I'll have to confirm actual shift availability.

El Correcto

god is dead
Upsjobs.com during the probation be early to work yes sir no sir work as directed and void any talks of union. After your probation join the union go to your monthly meetings get your contract booklet. Learn it and file on everything. Keep personal records of anything unsafe or against protocol bring your concerns to your ba every month. Stay active in the union and work safely.

MrsRodrigo

Upsjobs.com during the probation be early to work yes sir no sir work as directed and void any talks of union. After your probation join the union go to your monthly meetings get your contract booklet. Learn it and file on everything. Keep personal records of anything unsafe or against protocol bring your concerns to your ba every month. Stay active in the union and work safely.
thanks for the tips. Will do.

Cementups

Box Monkey
What specifically are you looking for about HARPA? I'm a driver out of the west center and have been an employee there for almost 23 years.

And twilight should be an easy enough shift to get on though they may try and offer you Preload (loading package cars) which is 4am-9am or midnight 11pm-3am. Those times are general an not exact.

MrsRodrigo

What specifically are you looking for about HARPA? I'm a driver out of the west center and have been an employee there for almost 23 years.
Anything I can get about the hub specifically, I know West is preferred...I'm not sure if that's from turnover or differences in management or volume. Any other input about the work environment, although you're not in the same hub specifically :)

Thanks!

Cementups

Box Monkey
west is preferred as far as driver's go. East and west are just designations as to which side of the river you deliver on. We are both stationed out of the 19th street building 50 years apart from each other.

HUB employees aren't designated to east and west. You just work in the HUB. In a general sense, if you come in and do your job as instructed there shouldn't be any problem Get your 30 days in and you'll make book and be in the union. After that it's easy peasy. If you end up on Preload, you do a good job and take care of your drivers, they will take care of you.

MrsRodrigo

Ah thanks for that, I assumed here was another hub on the other side. I'm new to the area, still haven't actually crossed to the other side. :confused:

I figure since I'm fairly small - they won't give me pre-load anyway. I'm sure it will be assumed I can't do it. But that's okay, just looking to work.

Thanks so much!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Ah thanks for that, I assumed here was another hub on the other side. I'm new to the area, still haven't actually crossed to the other side. :confused:

I figure since I'm fairly small - they won't give me pre-load anyway. I'm sure it will be assumed I can't do it. But that's okay, just looking to work.

Thanks so much!

You're size doesn't matter if you can do the job. And your willingness to do the job can be even more important than that.

Undertow82

Biggest tip I can give coming from just surpassing my 30 days is be punctual, do not miss any days. Everyone I was hired with was canned for being late. Literally I'm the only one left. Other than that just work hard. Depending on how much physical labor you do, your first week will suck tremendously. Good luck.

MrsRodrigo

Biggest tip I can give coming from just surpassing my 30 days is be punctual, do not miss any days. Everyone I was hired with was canned for being late. Literally I'm the only one left. Other than that just work hard. Depending on how much physical labor you do, your first week will suck tremendously. Good luck.
Thank you!
Congrats on making it the month :D