harry potter books.

lost

From what I have been told we are starting a sort at 7:30 A.M. Thursday just for Harry Potter. Our normal day sort starts between 10:30 or 11:00.

W

westsideworma

we had some of the potter books come through the preload today, very little amount overall, but the big load isn't expected til thur/fri

W

westsideworma

My hub is trying to find people to come in early to get a jump on the books. After moving me to a new job that I hate, my sup asked me if I wanted in on the overtime. I had considered it up until they knowingly moved me to job I _hate_ with a passion. Rather than train any of the people they've recently hired, they just stick me so I can mistoggle and crap since no one tells me a damn thing.:thumbup1:

Plus they told us we were "Least best" in our region hahahahaha

theres a lot of that going around....:laugh:

rebel

Rebel,

We have a contract with the shipper to pick up and deliver their packages to the address that is on them. The address on some Basic packages happens to be the USPS.

Now a simple question for you to answer.

If you had a choice between only one of the following situations, which would you choose?

1. Having new business (i.e. packages) that is picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster.

or

2. Having those same packages being picked up, sorted, loaded and delivered by a non-union company (i.e. FedEx) or non-Teamster organization (i.e. USPS)

The packages I deliver to the post office have two addresses on them. The post office and the address to which the post office will finish out my teamster job. This is subcontracting and that is why it is in arbitration. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Isn't it better that we at least have a share in this rather than companies just sending them straight USPS and we get left out? I mean these companies could just send them straight postal and we could be totally left out.

worldwide

The packages I deliver to the post office have two addresses on them. The post office and the address to which the post office will finish out my teamster job. This is subcontracting and that is why it is in arbitration. I guess we will find out soon enough.
It is interesting (and telling) that you are unable (or unwilling) to answer a simple question.

If your statement "You are obviously some sort of management" means I recognize the competitive landscape is changing and that two of UPS's major non-union competitors offers a service the marketplace demands and that UPS needs to compete in that marketplace and that NEW packages picked up and delivered by Teamsters means more Teamster jobs and job security for all UPS employees, that I guess you have me pegged.

You are obviously some sort of non-management if all you are concerned with is yourself--count how many instances of "I" and "me" appear in your posts on this subject. The competitive landscape is changing and you can either change and adapt or be left behind--this is business 101.

If you had a choice between only one of the following situations, which would you choose?

1. Having NEW business (i.e. packages) that is picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster.

or

2. Having those same packages being picked up, sorted, loaded and delivered by a non-union company (i.e. FedEx) or non-Teamster organization (i.e. USPS)

Delivered

Isn't it better that we at least have a share in this rather than companies just sending them straight USPS and we get left out? I mean these companies could just send them straight postal and we could be totally left out.

I have a daily pick up from a local Barnes & Noble and they already have 100 cases of Harry Potter delivered to them with c computerized 1Z label on them and yet the B & N employee said the UPS didn't even delivery them to the store. So it sounds like UPS is outsourcing getting the Books to Retail stores.

Delivered

I have a daily pick up from a local Barnes & Noble and they already have 100 cases of Harry Potter delivered to them with computerized 1Z UPS label on them and yet the B & N employee said that UPS didn't even delivery them to the store. So it sounds like UPS is outsourcing getting the Books to Retail stores.

rebel

It is interesting (and telling) that you are unable (or unwilling) to answer a simple question.

If your statement "You are obviously some sort of management" means I recognize the competitive landscape is changing and that two of UPS's major non-union competitors offers a service the marketplace demands and that UPS needs to compete in that marketplace and that NEW packages picked up and delivered by Teamsters means more Teamster jobs and job security for all UPS employees, that I guess you have me pegged.

You are obviously some sort of non-management if all you are concerned with is yourself--count how many instances of "I" and "me" appear in your posts on this subject. The competitive landscape is changing and you can either change and adapt or be left behind--this is business 101.

1. Having NEW business (i.e. packages) that is picked up by a Teamster, sorted by a Teamster, loaded by a Teamster and then delivered to the address on the package by a Teamster.

or

Dude, whats up with you. Subcontracting is subcontracting. You can sugar coat it all you want but as a teamster, we teamsters will continue to enforce our contract. We teamsters need to take a stand and fight to keep the bargaining unit work. Do you have a copy of the contract? If so, try reading it. But then again, you sound as if you know everything anyway.

pkgdriver

The ones that i deliver to the post office have two addresses also.

1. The post office address

2. a p.o.box

Somebody want to help this Teamster get the pkg delivered to the p.o. box???

oper8tor

Rebel, It is great to see a teamster enforcing the contract. Perhaps you can get some advise from your teamster brothers in the freight industry. They enforced the contract right up until their companies went out of buisness. Now they're just a burden on your pension fund. Nothing like stepping over a quarter to pick up a penny.

rebel

For what management..Sorry ill pass

Now help me find that p.o. box please

I would get another infraction if I were to help you find it. So tell me, have you delivered only 1 basic package to the post office? Should I call you brother or Mr at the panel?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Rebel: I can see that your a full fledged Teamster cheerleader! I have no problem with that because there are unscrupulous management that will do anything to make themselves look good at the expense of the hourly employees and people like you keep try to keep them honest. Have you ever submitted a sales lead to try and generate more volume to help UPS and the Teamsters grow!

rebel

Rebel: I can see that your a full fledged Teamster cheerleader! I have no problem with that because there are unscrupulous management that will do anything to make themselves look good at the expense of the hourly employees and people like you keep try to keep them honest. Have you ever submitted a sales lead to try and generate more volume to help UPS and the Teamsters grow!

Yes I have, thanks for asking. Just had one sold a couple of days ago.

rebel

Rebel, It is great to see a teamster enforcing the contract. Perhaps you can get some advise from your teamster brothers in the freight industry. They enforced the contract right up until their companies went out of buisness. Now they're just a burden on your pension fund. Nothing like stepping over a quarter to pick up a penny.

Stay in school and say no to drugs. Your job will be cut before mine.

worldwide

"Dude, whats up with you. Subcontracting is subcontracting. You can sugar coat it all you want but as a teamster, we teamsters will continue to enforce our contract."

You are one sharp tack.. UPS introduces a service to compete with Fedex and DHL to bring in NEW business and that stipulates only NEW packages that UPS is not currently receiving can be part of the program. 100% of the packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by Teamsters resulting in new jobs. Instead of welcoming new business and new jobs, you would prefer these packages were never in the UPS system and that a non-union competitor carry them instead.

Don't you get it? UPS would never have these packages going via ground residential service. The service is designed for low weight, low value items that shippers do not want to insure, or have claims paid or have all the bells and whistles of UPS ground. UPS never had these packages and never would.

Along comes Basic service to take packages from non-union Fedex and DHL but you don't want to deliver them to a post office (even though a minority of overall Basic packages are delivered there). Even though you and every other Teamster driver is getting paid to deliver them, you don't want them. Remember, these packages never existed in the system before--they are NEW business to UPS.

UPS tries to get to more packages in to the system to create additional Teamster jobs (as required by the contract) and yet you would prefer to NOT have these packages.

How about this--what is YOUR solution for UPS to be competitive with the Fedex and DHL version of Basic? You must have a solution to the Basic "problem," correct? Keep in mind, the competion delivers 100% of their Basic equivalent packages to the post office. What is your solution for UPS to win this business at a competitive rate that the customer is willing to pay and that UPS can still maintain a profit on.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
We picked up our first load of potter books today from the printing company, we will get another tommorow and then the rest on Thusday. Supposed to be over 20,000 packes estimated so far to be delivered on Saturday. Security around these books is amazing. Every driver leaveing with load of books will have someone follow them back to the hub. The trailers are then sealed with bolts and king pin locks are placed on them so the trailers don't "dissapear".

A

Anonymous GearJammer

All our states books are coming in via contractors as with practically any other basic package shipments. That's right "worldwide" practically all basic packages that come to our state are picked up by contractors and brought to our hubs for sorting, all of which is set up by UPS Logistics. They call it drop shipping and claim the customer sets up the pick-ups with the contractors for movement to our facilities, but was told by a supervisor that UPS Logistics sets it all up, avoiding several additional feeder runs. Now if this is not subcontracting I don't think anything would qualify as subcontracting in your eyes.