Has anybody seen changes in

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Saw an on road get the center manager carrot dangled in front of him for years. He finally gave up and set the cruise control to retirement. Not what you are talking about exactly but he went from awesome sup to no help at all. He's moved on at least.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
All the supes in my building (except one) have come to realize that they are on the train to nowhere. They do their job, and I do mine. We get along just fine.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We got one guy that used to be a real bear to work for, even if you had been around for a while and knew the UPS drill you still didn't want to get on his bad side. Now that retirement is close though he's really loosened up, sits around the office telling jokes and laughing with the drivers. He's basically gone from Josef Stalin Clone to being a kindly old grandfather.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hope my Center Manager doesn't change, he is a good guy. My small Hub started with three Centers, then they combined them into two. Friday was the last day for the other center manager, he got transfered to Pleasantdale. This means my center manager will now have both Centers with over a hundred drivers to run, this didn't work out very well last time that was tried.

kingOFchester

I think it is like that with drivers too.

As time goes by I am becoming more jaded. Use to be the guy willing to cheat airs and such to the guy that will work my butt off to get things done the correct way. I think a large number of driver travel down the road I am still traveling. You start out doing whatever you think will keep you behind the wheel, to realizing you are as replaceable as a rat in the city landfill. Don't get me wrong, I work hard and still have more "growing" to do, but my mindset is not where it was when i was trying to make book and soaking wet behind the ears.

UPS breeds contempt.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My center manager was an awesome guy. Worked with us when we needed days off and/or if you needed to get done a bit earlier. If you were good to him he was good to you and vice versa. After 5 years (a long time for a center manager to be in one center) he was moved to another center about an hour away. Most of us were pretty torn up about it. Like losing a dad/brother. Even in his goodbye speech he choked up a little bit too. Sucked!!!

kingOFchester

My center manager was an awesome guy. Worked with us when we needed days off and/or if you needed to get done a bit earlier. If you were good to him he was good to you and vice versa. After 5 years (a long time for a center manager to be in one center) he was moved to another center about an hour away. Most of us were pretty torn up about it. Like losing a dad/brother. Even in his goodbye speech he choked up a little bit too. Sucked!!!

Reminds me of a SUP that was moved. great guy, worked with drivers, friendly and upbeat. Sad day when he left.

Buck Fifty

Never seen a center manager that couldn't stand in front of his drivers and be a decent person, but try to find even one that will stand behind his drivers when his ass is on the line. You wont !!!

It seems like when the get learned a little from the harder knocks they settle in and go with the flow. If you are a good communicator and a fair honest player the respect you and can be a real ally. This is a game here remember this. I wouldn't tell you that if I didn't know. Learn how to play the game and you can make it with your manhood intacted. Be a running fool with no character and charisma us balls and you'll have no stories to tell you boys, grandchildren and people you meet along the way. Rise up and be a man.

Sometimes I liken it to a great old Steve McQueen movie. The Great Escape. Watch it an you will know how I play this game.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think it is like that with drivers too.

As time goes by I am becoming more jaded. Use to be the guy willing to cheat airs and such to the guy that will work my butt off to get things done the correct way. I think a large number of driver travel down the road I am still traveling. You start out doing whatever you think will keep you behind the wheel, to realizing you are as replaceable as a rat in the city landfill. Don't get me wrong, I work hard and still have more "growing" to do, but my mindset is not where it was when i was trying to make book and soaking wet behind the ears.

UPS breeds contempt.

And then some jerk comes along and stomps you flat.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings - YouTube

My job involves me and the boxes in my truck. My daily goal is to involve management as little as possible.
And my job is to be the grease in the wheels that make this place run as well as deflect as much as I can from inept teamster that feel entitled to do what they want to do to get home everyday without knowing the are pissing off there center manager because the keep popping up on reports in the morning that they have to smove over to the district manager on the 9:30am conference call.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And my job is to be the grease in the wheels that make this place run as well as deflect as much as I can from inept teamster that feel entitled to do what they want to do to get home everyday without knowing the are pissing off there center manager because the keep popping up on reports in the morning that they have to smove over to the district manager on the 9:30am conference call.

Half of the people reading this qualify:

packageguy

[/B]
Reminds me of a SUP that was moved. great guy, worked with drivers, friendly and upbeat. Sad day when he left.

We had one, He started as a driver with us. great guy was always there to help, he would have drivers help drivers, get in us some what the same time for years. He is No longer with UPS, he left to open a business Florida.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We had one, He started as a driver with us. great guy was always there to help, he would have drivers help drivers, get in us some what the same time for years. He is No longer with UPS, he left to open a business Florida.

UPS is not the right place to work for everyone.
UPS is for that middle of the road, hard working person that does not like risk.

A real entrepreneur would never work at UPS for long or any Corporation for that matter.

Last edited: