Has anyone been disciplined for Orion compliance

blackcircle

We were told this past week that the termination process would be started for anyone not hitting 85%. Certain routes here are not traced correctly even for EDD let alone Orion. The downtown routes with one way streets you would literally be driving in a series of circles if you followed Orion and go down the same streets multiple times.

It will be interesting to see if they actually follow up on the threat. They went from wanting 85% to 90% and now back to 85% compliance. I easily see 1/2-1 hour extra per day following Orion and drive 10-15 more miles depending on the route.

By The Book

We were told this past week that the termination process would be started for anyone not hitting 85%. Certain routes here are not traced correctly even for EDD let alone Orion. The downtown routes with one way streets you would literally be driving in a series of circles if you followed Orion and go down the same streets multiple times.

It will be interesting to see if they actually follow up on the threat. They went from wanting 85% to 90% and now back to 85% compliance. I easily see 1/2-1 hour extra per day following Orion and drive 10-15 more miles depending on the route.
Follow Orion, get your trace percentage up, your miles up, your paid day up, and your over allowed up, your paycheck up, and your stress level down. Let them fix it!

blackcircle

Follow Orion, get your trace percentage up, your miles up, your paid day up, and your over allowed up, your paycheck up, and your stress level down. Let them fix it!

I've been past the point of caring for a while. They're buying my new Harley more parts without denting my wallet at this point. :biggrin:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

As long as you follow methods, attempt every package, don't piss off any customers and don't have any accidents, what can they do other than complain?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Will they put it in writing that no driver will be held responsible for any service failures that result from following ORION?

No, they wont....which means that threats of "termination" for failing to follow it are just a lot of bluffing and hot air.

They can certainly "start the termination process" if it will make them feel better, but they aren't going to get anywhere at a panel hearing if they are still trying to hold the driver responsible for missed stops or pickups being done out of compliance. All the driver has to say is that (a) he was trying to make good decisions to avoid service failures and (b) he had no way of knowing what percentage he was running at any given time because the DIAD does not display that measurement.

This is nothing more than an idiotic, cowardly management team who is so desperate to generate a number on a meaningless report that they are resorting to threats and intimidation against their employees.

Here's a thought; why not just instruct drivers to prerecord all of their stops instead of completing them? Upon return to the building, the sup could then take the DIAD and stop complete the work in whatever order was needed in order to generate the desired compliance metric. It would be a win/win; we drivers could do our jobs without interference, and our management would get the number they want to see on the report.

bumped

I was given a warning letter for not following 85%. I had received warnings about being in compliance which I told them I was not going to do, so may as well get me to warning letter status. My stewards wanted me to grieve it, but HELL NO. I have 2 sets of train tracks that run through my ghetto. The trains can take anywhere from 3 minutes to 45 minutes for a wait time. If I would see a train running I would work on the side of my area where I wasn't affected putting me over the 85%. I'm onthe 9/5 list, so my stops are down over 30 stops a day and my idling time is way up.

I made copies of my warning letter and have one taped to the bulkhead door. I had a sup ride with me and we were in traffic for the train for about 5 minutes.
SUP tells me this will be lunch time.
ME Oh, OK turned the package car off in the middle of the street and proceeded to get out of the package car.
SUP We was like where the hell are you going
ME Lunch time, I'm going to the gas station
SUP What if the train is gone
ME I'm on lunch, who cares. Working as directed.

Sup changed his mind on my "lunch"

Now, they're working on a plan to re-loop my trace for Orion. Any work they change can only make my new delivery area safer than I had.

I Love Orion. Less Work, More Idle Time.

blackcircle

Will they put it in writing that no driver will be held responsible for any service failures that result from following ORION?

No, they wont....which means that threats of "termination" for failing to follow it are just a lot of bluffing and hot air.

They can't and both sides know it. This was at a center wide PCM with ~60 drivers and a union steward asked about missed businesses. Their reply was that they expect 85% AND no missed businesses on all routes. Impossible. I would enjoy paid time off if they pursued it but I run about 90% most of the time.

Most days I'd have late air if I followed Orion's trace and remaining in ODO mode there is sometimes half a dozen stops that are in trace(or sometimes the retarded resi breaks with packages you'd have to climb for) with the air run but not with the end of it. Can't run it backwards to the start of trace as each stop would be a break. The thing that irks me the most about it is if you have an air stop with ground it wants you to skip the ground and deliver ground only to a place further down the street before the next air stop. Real money saver there.

jaker

trolling
Only at ups are we told to do 85% of our job

I don't know what 85% is but I do know what 0% is and 100% and I will follow them any day

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is going to be the problem that arises out of ORION.

Upper level management believing in a system of errors as if it has a chance to succeed, while lower level management look for reasons to blame the drivers for the failures of the system.

The "cowards" on the front lines ( ie: center managers, On road sups ) dont have the sack to confront anyone in the upper levels with the realities of the failures of ORION, so they will play the "pin the tail on the donkey" and hope "we" as drivers fight it out in panels and find a solution the HARD WAY.

I dont know of ONE manager who has the balls to take on ORION and stand up for the Business, the Customers, The drivers or our reputation.

Today, with all the ridiculous relooping of routes as they cut too deeply, customers are complaining like nobodys business.

Customers who used to have a morning delivery are now getting their packages in the late afternoon. Customers who used to have a late pickup are being attempted at 2pm.

The list is long with complaints, yet, lower level management will only take out the warning letters as if it was center toilet paper.

TOS.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Since Orion is GPS based then it falls into this........

Article 6 Section 6. Technology and Discipline

No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based sole- ly upon information received from GPS or any successor sys- tem unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the pur- poses of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corrobo- rating evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.

The Company acknowledges that there have been problems with the utilization of technology in the past. Therefore, at the request of the Union’s Joint National Negotiating Committee Co-Chair a meeting will be scheduled with the Company Co-Chair to discuss any alleged misuse of technology for disciplinary purposes and what steps are necessary to remedy any misuse.

brownrod

the solution seems simple to me. Just follow Orion. Break route at 3 or 4 PM or whatever time makes sense to get businesses delivered that you can't get by 5 by follow Orion. Who cares if it's inefficient and silly. That's what UPS wants and that's what we get paid to do. So follow orion 100% except when you break route to avoid service failures.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
the solution seems simple to me. Just follow Orion. Break route at 3 or 4 PM or whatever time makes sense to get businesses delivered that you can't get by 5 by following Orion. Who cares if it's inefficient and silly. That's what UPS wants and that's what we get paid to do. So follow orion 100% except when you break route to avoid service failures.

Nope.

They cant have it both ways.

What UPS is saying when they demand ORION compliance is that we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what our next stop should be.
'
If UPS feels that way, fine...but that means I am incompetent and untrustworthy 100% of the time, not just 85%.

I refuse to be intentionally stupid until 3 or 4 PM and then turn my brain back on for 15% of the time in order to save the route and get the business stops off by 5:00. If they want stupid then they get stupid from punch to punch. Or I can be smart and get the job done right. Its their choice.

oldngray

nowhere special
StupidIsAsStupidDoes.jpg

brownrod

Nope.

They cant have it both ways.

What UPS is saying when they demand ORION compliance is that we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what our next stop should be.
'
If UPS feels that way, fine...but that means I am incompetent and untrustworthy 100% of the time, not just 85%.

I refuse to be intentionally stupid until 3 or 4 PM and then turn my brain back on for 15% of the time in order to save the route and get the business stops off by 5:00. If they want stupid then they get stupid from punch to punch. Or I can be smart and get the job done right. Its their choice.

Whatever works for you! :) I'm happy to not care about any of UPS's customers and just cash my check.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Just do it how you know to do it. If they ask you why you weren't 85% tell them to ride with you. Then when they do follow it 100% and watch them squirm.