Has anyone been disciplined for Orion compliance

oldngray

nowhere special
I have found that I feel much better once I gave up hope.
abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here-pirate-print-poster.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had another driver by my side when I was told, so he couldn't cover his backside. I always have someone by my side, and if they come to me in my truck the loader is a steward, and I walk back by him. I make sure all my arse's are covered.
And as someone said before, I just act like I am having the best day ever.

The biggest problem why this cannot somewhat work, is because there is no co-operation between the Orion staff, and the management.

It appears they dont much like each other. You can see the disdain.
In the meantime, I just tell them tell me which orders to follow today. And which to ignore................

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

You are currently being given confusing, conflicting sets of instructions by different groups of management people and then getting called into the office to explain and justify your actions regardless of which instructions you follow.

This is a textbook example of over-supervision and harassment. It is specifically prohibited under Art 37 of the labor agreement. You really should consider filing on it. You are a professional driver, not a pawn in some dysfunctional chess game between your on road team and the ORION implementation team.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

You are currently being given confusing, conflicting sets of instructions by different groups of management people and then getting called into the office to explain and justify your actions regardless of which instructions you follow.

This is a textbook example of over-supervision and harassment. It is specifically prohibited under Art 37 of the labor agreement. You really should consider filing on it. You are a professional driver, not a pawn in some dysfunctional chess game between your on road team and the ORION implementation team.

I am considering several options. One of them, do I have enough saved to leave, comfortably.
I really have had my fill.
I like to be liked and I feel hated.
Nobody has said much to me, except to take the route Orion set up, not what boss b. says, coz its not helping you anyway, ie: you suck. But since more and more have been put on it, it seems even some of the favorites suck too.
Analytically, if my miles go down my stops should increase, and I should be doing more, but it isnt working that way. I have only increased 1 stop per hour on a good day, and I know production isnt really an issue, since its not in the contract, but they do bring it up. I guess I should work faster by their computer estimates, , but I cannot safely, so I dont. I dont think I could go any faster unsafely. I just keep telling them I am doing the best I can do, with what I am given, and then I smile. It kills them.

trickpony1

Tooner-
Would a complaint to OSHA under the "hostile work environment" help?

It sounds to me like you are being given conflicting instructions, the "double bind stress" is causing duress and you genuinely feel like your job is in jeopardy despite your doing the best you can.

It's worth a try.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner-
Would a complaint to OSHA under the "hostile work environment" help?

It sounds to me like you are being given conflicting instructions, the "double bind stress" is causing duress and you genuinely feel like your job is in jeopardy despite your doing the best you can.

It's worth a try.
My job is in jeopardy, as is everyones. As bad as I sound there are younger guys doing worse, and I am trying to hold them together with what I have learned by being the test dummy. Imagine being 30, strong as a horse, best driver in the building, and now you are two hours late, its a big slam to the ego.
Nothing was explained well, I get the gist, but some days it is greek, truly.
I have found through all the help I got on here....Not that my union doesnt back me 100%, they have, in my corner all the time. But people on here have lived through it for some it works for others it dont.
It is easier, for me because if they dump me tomorrow, my livelihood isnt over. These young guys with kids who are in worse shape than me are the ones, I care about. All I have to support is a baby dog.
So I have followed the learned advice, of kill them with a smile, and document. If it gets worse again, I wont hesitate, to do any of the numbers of things I should have done years ago to reign these guys in, including OSHA and EEOC, article 37 for my age, I just really prefer to not have to. But if they make me I will. Because I have no control what happens next, I am doing the best I can do.
Some people ask me, why do you say these things on the internet. I do it because I have already said it to them. My boss doesnt know what article 37 is, I told him he should really find out, after all you are in management. You agreed to it.
I do it not to get sympathy, but so when some poor sob, who never worried about it before gets put on it, they got somewhere to go to get info. Like I did.
My union might protect me, but they have no more clue what is going on with the system, than our management has.
I wont bore ya all with the continuing saga, but I will take all the sage advice, and come back for support, and back up when needed.

wayfair

swollen member
A driver in my center got a warning letter today because he didn't meet the 85-90 percent compliance.. he was told if he kept it up, he'd be back in the office facing suspension.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
A driver in my center got a warning letter today because he didn't meet the 85-90 percent compliance.. he was told if he kept it up, he'd be back in the office facing suspension.
I hope the steward immediately grieved it and I hope the local puts 100% into fighting it. They can't be faulted for not generating some arbitrary metric. If that were me, after filing, I would have made sure I was following it 100% come hell or high water and laugh my :censored2: off as the mileage, service failures and over-allowed skyrocketed.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It will be dropped at a local level upon filing a grievance.
When they started that crap we BURIED them in Supervisor Working,Denied 8 hour requests and Harassment Grievances. The 'discipline' came to screeching halt. I have said many times they will do things like this ONLY as long as you let them

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My job is in jeopardy, as is everyones. ..............
I mean do disrespect whatsoever,and in various internet fora it is often difficult to discern the 'tone' of a post,so please understand I ask this question with the utmost sincerity:
After 30 years with the company,WHY do you feel yours,or anyone else's job could possibly be in jeopardy over running "over allowed" or not obtaining a specific percentage on a report?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I mean do disrespect whatsoever,and in various internet fora it is often difficult to discern the 'tone' of a post,so please understand I ask this question with the utmost sincerity:
After 30 years with the company,WHY do you feel yours,or anyone else's job could possibly be in jeopardy over running "over allowed" or not obtaining a specific percentage on a report?
No disrespect spotted. They really had me over stressed there for a while. Til I got the courage to file. Since then in some ways it got better, in others it got worse. The difference is how I handle it. So far I have had at least three days a week where I get in just a click under 9.5, and the others they slam me. But it has given me some much needed relief.

The opinion of those in our center is that they are out to get us. Its not a friendly place. I dont know how the new people qualify when those of us who basically know what we are doing, are struggling. One new driver got d'qued for not being able to recite her dok, thought that was a bit much, but ....

It is very hard on a person with a good work ethic, and most would know, to get told basically you dogged out there all day, when they did not. I worry every day they are out to get me, because they will find a reason to fire anyone if they look hard enough, and I am not the only one who feels that way.

I know they want rid of me, Im not a performer any more. I just get it done with no wrecks, injuries, no one cares about that anymore. I get these little innuendos, like when are you going to retire, you have no sense of urgency anymore, wouldnt you be happier to get the hell outta here? yada yada. Thats why. And I know I would get my job back for any silly thing they fire me for, because I dont cheat, steal, or let my truck roll away. I just would like to not get fired, Ive never been fired from anywhere. But this has turned into a dam hard place to work. It always was now its x's squared.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Tooner, my last year with the company, I had a dispatch supe that would pull that crap with me. Every time I questioned why he gave me work at the opposite end of town from my route (and there was plenty of stuff he could have given me closer), he would say, "why in the hell don't you retire?"

I never filed, I certainly could have. I would just look him in the eye and tell him that he really didn't want to go there. He got the idea.

Once again, don't let the bastards grind you down.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No disrespect spotted. They really had me over stressed there for a while. Til I got the courage to file. Since then in some ways it got better, in others it got worse. The difference is how I handle it. So far I have had at least three days a week where I get in just a click under 9.5, and the others they slam me. But it has given me some much needed relief.

The opinion of those in our center is that they are out to get us. Its not a friendly place. I dont know how the new people qualify when those of us who basically know what we are doing, are struggling. One new driver got d'qued for not being able to recite her dok, thought that was a bit much, but ....

It is very hard on a person with a good work ethic, and most would know, to get told basically you dogged out there all day, when they did not. I worry every day they are out to get me, because they will find a reason to fire anyone if they look hard enough, and I am not the only one who feels that way.

I know they want rid of me, Im not a performer any more. I just get it done with no wrecks, injuries, no one cares about that anymore. I get these little innuendos, like when are you going to retire, you have no sense of urgency anymore, wouldnt you be happier to get the hell outta here? yada yada. Thats why. And I know I would get my job back for any silly thing they fire me for, because I dont cheat, steal, or let my truck roll away. I just would like to not get fired, Ive never been fired from anywhere. But this has turned into a dam hard place to work. It always was now its x's squared.
oh ok gotcha. you have the same environment now we have had for some time,you'll get used to it. The way we deal with it is to work safe,by the methods and file whenever they go to far. ( our center files more in two weeks now than we use to file in a year)

The reason the environment is so poisonous is Management is fearing for their jobs and are under great deal of stress to get it done and be 100% on all reports.Of course the solution UPS uses is to load the mule down even more and to try and whip the mule harder to get more done.
Dont take it personal,dont dwell on it,just remember as long as you are working safely ,by the methods,and dont commit a Cardnial Sin you are good to go as all they have are Threats and Intimidation. You just need to learn to make them NOT want to talk to you,and once you get to that stage life is GOOD

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Life is getting better thanks to people like you who give me the picture of how it is everywhere else, and how you handle it. I do pass it on to others, who do not access this site, so all they have is what they know from our little part of the world.

Until about a year ago, it was not too bad, and Then Orion came. And I dont think all of it is bad, but some days it just doesnt work. I have been told I fight Orion. I dont, I make service, and they have had since June 3rd, when I gave them my notes to fix it, and even with an On car, they didnt get fixed. So some days I miss them, I missed some when he was with me, and he blamed me. But I documented. I told him, you have been running me, you should see them, he said he didnt know them I said touche, neither do I. , And even when we go over on miles, for ocas, and meets they still want to make it look like its our fault. I fill out the sheet at night on the clock, and go home and enjoy my life.

It is easier for me because one day when I just cant psychologically or physically do it any more, I have options, others do not.
Once again, appreciate you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh and the new phrase is "screw those customers, they dont pay us the shipper pays us, they get their stuff when we get there, our new name UP. and with an up your a** if you dont like it.