Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have to agree with this. Now is not the time to be grieving over 9.5. At least I wouldn't. In an economy that many people can't find 4 hours of work/day I am not going to complain about being given 10 hours/day.

This is the great thing about UPS. Times were very difficult for many people in the last 2 years. For me, however, things didn't change. I worked everyday and got a raise every 6 months. I actually worked more hours due to route cutbacks.

So my point is I can't complain about UPS because they kept me in the "cat bird" seat when many others are struggling.

This is my opinion, at least
Browniehound

Keep your eyes on the gold watch.
You are getting sleepy...sleeeepy...sleeeeeepy.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Where is your sense of collectivism and Brotherhood ... you must think you are an individual. You are not, you are part of a hive of borg ... you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Look into the eyes of Hoaxter"s avitar and say there is no place like the Hub...there's no place like the Hub...there's no place like the Innoplex.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Where is your sense of collectivism and Brotherhood ... you must think you are an individual. You are not, you are part of a hive of borg ... you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
The Trouble With Trolls

1830.jpg

----Definition----

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While he tries to present himself as a skeptic looking for truth ... his messages usually sound as if it is the responsibility of other forum members to provide evidence that what forum is all about is legitimate.

He (and in at least 90% of cases it is he) tries to start arguments and upset people."

--- Remember, ignoring them is an option. ---

tieguy

Banned
Really? You mean the same BA that negotiated the new language that any "laid off" employee remains at the current pay rate? Even our displaced laid off employees will get a raise next week! HAHAHAH lamo hahahaha

Dont forget to donate to the United Way tie, after all you are lucky to still have a job! Right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is that the same BA that said he would walk if he did not get the part timers a decent starting wage. Wow if he does have them then they must have shriveled up when it came time to follow through.

Same guy that got the labor leader of the year award because he was the first one that did not get caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

S

speeddemon

All of the sudden??? Ours has been non existent for over a year now. He has not been in our building in over 10 months, and that was for a hearing in the middle of the day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have to agree with this. Now is not the time to be grieving over 9.5. At least I wouldn't. In an economy that many people can't find 4 hours of work/day I am not going to complain about being given 10 hours/day.

This is the great thing about UPS. Times were very difficult for many people in the last 2 years. For me, however, things didn't change. I worked everyday and got a raise every 6 months. I actually worked more hours due to route cutbacks.

So my point is I can't complain about UPS because they kept me in the "cat bird" seat when many others are struggling.

This is my opinion, at least
Browniehound
Brownie, I disagree. I think that right now is the exact time to be filing 9.5's. We have 13/14 rtes out on rd from 17. Of those 13 or 14 more than half of them work over 9.5 regularly. Last week I worked at least 11 hrs everyday, and I wasn't the only one. We have 5 drivers on layoff. If they would put in 1 more rte, even out the dispatch so we were at or just under 9.5, one more driver could be put back to work. I have 2 9.5 grievances that need to be filed this week and I WILL file them.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i have seen stewards talk to management and work out more hours or a better position for them self's or whoever saw management doing union work. a friend of mine told me his union steward was not gonna file a grievance for seen a part time sup work instead steward goes missing then full time sup shows up and tells my friend he is going to clock him in for an extra hour of work and he was gonna talk to the other sup.
another incident where a guy we know told us that he go bumped out of being a scanner in his area, and got sent to unload(not sure though). the part time sup told him since they did not want the steward(laid off air driver) walking around that they were gonna give him his position.

The manipulation of stewards by the company is nothing new.

That is why many places have "super seniority" for stewards. That way the company is less likely to be able to "buy" a shop steward by not cutting his job, or other methods that they have developed in the past.

As far as talking to management, that is part of the stewards job. You can either be a pain in their butt or try to reach a common ground on most issues. Nothing different than what goes on at a panel hearing. You fight the ones you feel have the best chance of winning, and you negotiate the best you can with a lost cause. As Tie said, I have had drivers come to me after a cocky full of crap steward has presented their case by being antagonistic, only to find out that they got the max that UPS could give them, when instead, they could have gotten by with a slap on the wrist, and a warning letter. Its hard to go back and try to fix a crappy mess like that.

There is no reason for the steward to be abusive or disrespectful, as that loss of control gives management the upper hand. IF they have you dead to rights after your Fubar, then what good is it to run in there demanding something? Much better to keep your job and fight another day. Over the years, that type of action has allowed between 45-50 drivers to keep their job at UPS, all of which UPS had more than just cause to fire.

As far as sups working, the official stand is that while the contract prohibits it, UPS does and will use management to do hourly work, and unless they are filed on and caught, they dont have any down side.

They know that 90% of the time, no one will ever know. Out of the other 10%, more than 9% of the time, the hourly wont say or do anything about it. The less than 1% of the time worked is contested, and then paid after grumbling and threatening.

The bigger threat is hourly working off the clock, but that is a totally different issue. But it also explains the lack of concern when most drivers see a sup working, and do nothing. Kinda hard to hold someone accountable for doing something wrong, when you are doing something wrong yourself.

d

tieguy

Banned
Translation: Selfish, I wannabe a FedEx, all you can eat, nonunion, subcontractor truck owner. It's all about me and my catbird seat.

Translation with all the companies struggling to get through this economic mess this may the time to support your company not try to strangle it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Translation with all the companies struggling to get through this economic mess this may the time to support your company not try to strangle it.

You are the Little Boy That Cried Wolf.
I don't buy it.
All what companies?
I only work for one, UPS and we aren't struggling.
How is asking for less than a 9.5 hr day, which is provided for in our contract, strangling the company?
This is not an unreasonable request for such a safety conscience employer.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Maybe you guys should think about how fortunate you are to have a job and stop worrying about how you can squeeze more gold from the goose.
ill take that quote next to heart when UPS starts to make record profits and UPS does nothing for us

klein

Für Meno :)
I know I don't get much sympathy here, for the reason I have been fired.
But, I have 3 UPS ex coworkers on my facebook, and seen that my steward was also friends of them.
So, I tried to add him to my facebook (send a request), waited 1 week, nothing, waited another week, no response, after the 3rd week, well thought, he probably doesn't have time for facebook, but wanted to re-send the request just to make sure he has gotten it.

I really wanted to ask him, to talk to Management to ask about my record of Employment and my vacation pay.

But guess what ? He must have been soo chicken, that when I wanted to resend my request. His account was deleted from facebook.

Again, I don't hope for sympathy here. But, this is the topic.. Stewards.

tieguy

Banned
You are the Little Boy That Cried Wolf.
I don't buy it.
All what companies?
I only work for one, UPS and we aren't struggling.
How is asking for less than a 9.5 hr day, which is provided for in our contract, strangling the company?
This is not an unreasonable request for such a safety conscience employer.

Gratitude and teamwork are generally not qualities found in pro-union workers.

Thus unionization has such a bad reputation you need help from UPS just to get fdx organized.

UPS helping the teamsters organize fdx while ups workers plot on ways to screw the company. What a twisted world we live in.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UPS helping the teamsters organize FDX while ups workers plot on ways to screw the company. What a twisted world we live in.

Tie, you are too funny! Musta had a good weekend. Thats good. Keep the managers happy, everybody stays happy.

Lets see, you are trying to tell me that UPS is doing me a favor by getting the teamsters the ability to organize FDX? Really, how would that benefit the average Joe schmo driver at UPS?

But on the other hand, you are presenting us as ungrateful *****es that ought to bow at the feet of management, bringing gifts of thanks for being able to have a job?

Ungrateful *****es that are only asking for something that YOU the company agreed to, and that is to lower the paid day to under 9.5 hours so we can spend some evening time with our families.

Somehow, something has hit the normally levelheaded Tie in the head and skewered his thinking.

Yeah, I know, you might have to add a couple of routes in each center, but is that really such a bad thing? Instead of saving the 20-30 dollars by cutting them out, put them in. While the returns are not great, at least they are on the plus side of the ledger.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But, I have 3 UPS ex coworkers on my facebook, and seen that my steward was also friends of them.
So, I tried to add him to my facebook (send a request), waited 1 week, nothing, waited another week, no response, after the 3rd week, well thought, he probably doesn't have time for facebook, but wanted to re-send the request just to make sure he has gotten it.

I really wanted to ask him, to talk to Management to ask about my record of Employment and my vacation pay.

But guess what ? He must have been soo chicken, that when I wanted to resend my request. His account was deleted from facebook.

Are you really that stupid? You want to make friends with the steward, so you invite him to your face book?

Why would he want to be your friend? You are a lying driver who he tried to represent in a hearing for drinking while on the job. Then you are allowed to quit instead of being fired, and you make like its everybody's fault but yours.

I bet you went around the end zone to get your vacation pay as well. What happened, no one wanted to be your friend on facebook there either?

Personally, I am wondering how you ever got on at UPS.

IF you have a question that you want the steward to field for you, use the traditional ways of communication for a change. Although if I were the steward involved, I would really not feel like taking that call from you.

You call him chicken? It takes a big man to hide behind his facebook. What a bunch of crap you post.

d

klein

I bet you went around the end zone to get your vacation pay as well.
d

No, I actually waited 7 weeks, didn't even call the centre, asked the union about it though, after about 4 weeks.
They told me to call the centre, but manager was on vacation.
So, I just waited and waited.
7 weeks to get your last payday isn't too bad, for UPS, right ?

P

pickup

I know I don't get much sympathy here, for the reason I have been fired.

Again, I don't hope for sympathy here. But, this is the topic.. Stewards.

poor klein, will he ever find a friend on facebook?

Casper the Friendly Ghost - Minisode 08

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No, I actually waited 7 weeks, didn't even call the centre, asked the union about it though, after about 4 weeks.
They told me to call the centre, but manager was on vacation.
So, I just waited and waited.
7 weeks to get your last payday isn't too bad, for UPS, right ?

You didn't even call the center for 7 weeks? And UPS didn't track you down on your facebook to let you know to pick up your vacation pay? Shame on them. After all, an out of work person with serious issues cant be bothered to call the center to see if their check is in, but yet you have the time to raise hell about the legality of them not getting your pay to you In a timely manner?

Every time you post new details, the evidence for a conviction on stupidity mounts.

d

klein

You didn't even call the center for 7 weeks? And UPS didn't track you down on your facebook to let you know to pick up your vacation pay? Shame on them. After all, an out of work person with serious issues cant be bothered to call the center to see if their check is in, but yet you have the time to raise hell about the legality of them not getting your pay to you In a timely manner?

Every time you post new details, the evidence for a conviction on stupidity mounts.

d

No, told the union, and also emailed the centre, but got no response
Here;s the e-mail I sent June 30th:

On June 1st, 2009 I was terminated as an employee from UPS.
However, to this date, I have not received my Record of Employment slip, or my outstanding vacation pay of over $2400.00.
On behalf of EI requirements, I do need both of these items soon.

If they have been sent out earlier... - I did not receive them !
And, I'll need replacements.

Thank-you very much,

needless to say, I sent another one demanding it, 2 weeks later.