Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No, I actually waited 7 weeks, didn't even call the centre, asked the union about it though, after about 4 weeks.
They told me to call the centre, but manager was on vacation.
So, I just waited and waited.

OK, you didnt even call the center, but you sent them emails? Really???? I worked for supervisors for 33 years, and never once had to email them. I had the guts to call them if I needed something.

I didnt call the union steward to try to get someone to be my friend on facebook. Didnt bother the union after lying to them repeatedly while they were trying to keep my job for me. Didnt hide behind emails while trying to get paid after being let go. You claim others are chicken ****es? Brother, you need to look in the mirror.

No, I would have called the supervisor.

Again, Every time you post new details, the evidence for a conviction on stupidity mounts.

d

klein

Für Meno :)
OK, you didnt even call the center, but you sent them emails? Really???? I worked for supervisors for 33 years, and never once had to email them. I had the guts to call them if I needed something.

I didnt call the union steward to try to get someone to be my friend on facebook. Didnt bother the union after lying to them repeatedly while they were trying to keep my job for me. Didnt hide behind emails while trying to get paid after being let go. You claim others are chicken ****es? Brother, you need to look in the mirror.

No, I would have called the supervisor.

Again, Every time you post new details, the evidence for a conviction on stupidity mounts.

d

I live in the 21st century. Emails are in writing, they don't get lost or overheard like a tel conversation would.
Told you earlier manager was on vacation.
This is more of an HR thing, then talking to a sup !

No worries, got everything done ! got my pay, my record of Employemnt 7 weeks late.

This ain't even the end of the story yet.
My city news channel, wants to make a story out of it (not for the dismissal), but companies not obeying to the labour laws that are in place, and they don't get penalized for it.

wadep

If you filed a grievance against your termination, you aren't entitled to your recored of employment or final pay as your aren't officially terminated. You are an employee in limbo.

klein

Even if I got my written termination by registered mail, 3 days after it was verbal ?

That is interssting to know, are you sure about that ?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes he is sure.

But then again, you quit because you knew that you had lied and they knew you had lied. And because it is against your religion to lie, you didnt want to lie to get your job back, or some such nonsence.

I personally think you ought to go back and file. That way the company can tear you a new one a second time around, since its obvious you have issues with learning the first time around

Emails are in writing, they don't get lost or overheard like a tel conversation would.
Yes, but they can be deleted, and ignored, and kinda tough to prove you sent or they got the email. Talking with someone on the phone you can prove.

Told you earlier manager was on vacation
yeah, you did. for one week four weeks into your being gone. So why if you wanted your paperwork that fast did you not go down there during the three weeks before his vacation, that would be a week after you got canned? Besides, you told us a lot of crap, most of it lies.

This is more of an HR thing, then talking to a sup
Maybe, but your sup is the first rung on the ladder.

But as usual, you were too lazy to bother yourself with details.

d

klein

D, I really liked your last posting with the salesguy in ETA. was fabulous, actually.
e-mails are better then faxes,actually, I have a record of when they we're sent. And a record of when I received one back.
I heard my sup got fired , too, actually.
But, yes, I could have made a call, anyways. Your right.

But, even went I went down to the centre , I went for nothing.
No paperwork was there and no check.
I got it later with direct deposit. (surprised me, thought the last pay might be a check).
But, everything comes from our "Atlanta" which is Moncton up here.
My record of Employment came from Moncton, not from the hub.

Didn't tell you any crap or lies.
I keep it open and honest.
Actually, my postings on this site, might be used against me now (big mistake on my behalf) Since I know, atleast 1 member from my hub is on here. Just found that out a few hrs ago.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Klein

Interesting there Wadep

Quote:
When Klein was terminated,the grievance proceedure was begun. Therefore he was not able to collect his vacation pay and record of employment, as he legally was still in the employ of U.P.S. until all grievances and any arbitration hearings are finished or withdrawn this is THE LAW!!!
Problem is that Klein might be a nice guy and all, but he has no grip on reality. This from a post earlier today

Quote:
This ain't even the end of the story yet.
My city news channel, wants to make a story out of it (not for the dismissal), but companies not obeying to the labour laws that are in place, and they don't get penalized for it.

So the lies continue.

Everything you post is a lie, which is against your religion.

d

klein

Klein

Everything you post is a lie, which is against your religion.

d

Thanks Wade, I really thank-you for the time we had together, and always liked meeting you at the center. And ofcourse many others as well.
To D: Wade is a shopsteward. He does know those things better then I do !

But, here's the latest short e-mail I received today from the newschannel:

RE: Employment Records and Vacation Pay.‏
offline16.png
CITV_TROUBLESHOOTER (Global Edmonton) Sent:July 27, 2009 9:56:13 PM

Thank you.
We may be able to do a story on the law itself.
What did the company give for the reason for the delayed ROE?

But, I'm sure they'll look into it, if any laws were broken or not.
Wade can be absolutley correct. (I didn't know ).

PAUPSER

Does the shop steward get paid by the union to do that particualar job and is he or she voted in by the union? The reason I ask is our shop steward that loads trucks in the mornings is basically useless and in some ways feels that he is a more of a troll for UPS then he is a representive of the union members.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Does the shop steward get paid by the union to do that particualar job and is he or she voted in by the union? The reason I ask is our shop steward that loads trucks in the mornings is basically useless and in some ways feels that he is a more of a troll for UPS then he is a representive of the union members.

Stewards get dues back at end of year. Yes, there are many stewards like that across the county. YOu have to go above the local level to get represented fairly most of the time it seems.

deathracer

there should be more then one steward around in the hub, also try looking for the union guys wearing the teamsters jacket or the ones that sometimes stand outside the hub passing out flyers and stuff. we do have a useless one at out hub wich i have not seen in a long time but we also have a bulldog ready to bite:angry:.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Stewards get dues back at end of year.
Thats interesting, I never got any breaks from either side for being a steward. So that is not a nationwide thing to get your dues back.

As for being worthless, you will find that that is true of any group of people, regardless of job. And then there are the
bulldog ready to bite
anyone that they set their eyes on, regardless of reasons.

I prefer to think of being neither a lap dog, or the pit bull, but rather the German Shepperd, one that can use intelligence and cunning, but then also be fearless in defending.

Nothing worse than a loud mouth defending a bad position (Obama being a good example)

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thats interesting, I never got any breaks from either side for being a steward. So that is not a nationwide thing to get your dues back.

As for being worthless, you will find that that is true of any group of people, regardless of job. And then there are the anyone that they set their eyes on, regardless of reasons.

I prefer to think of being neither a lap dog, or the pit bull, but rather the German Shepperd, one that can use intelligence and cunning, but then also be fearless in defending.

Nothing worse than a loud mouth defending a bad position (Obama being a good example)

d

sorry, not trying to spread misinformation. must be a regional thing.

NHDRVR

Just a general statement here in regards to the decriptions that some of the stewards are getting. (My previous posts on the matter go into greater detail of my stewards, business agents and so on.)

This job that they have is actually a thankless one. Yes, there is a quick 'thanks' or 'good job' if an employee happens to get out of a jam but think about it...

The screws have only been tightened over the years and a stewards job is an uphill battle. Forget the free union dues, this should be a paid position. Think of the late starts, the headaches due to the slackers, and the general BS these men/women have to put up with ON TOP OF the job.

Anyone can post that their steward is this/that/the other. The majority take this position because they have some sort of concern for the job and their fellow drivers.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a steward and I don't want to be. But the ones in my center are friends of mine who I don't always agree with and that's just the way it goes.

It's far too easy to dump on the jobs they do when you never had to do it.

I actually see UPS in the near future trying to use the economy and the pension as a means to get the Teamsters out of the company. I didn't say 'union' because I think we will always be a union shop.

This is a topic for another day...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sorry, not trying to spread misinformation
Sleeve, your not spreading mis-information, just posting on what is done in your area.

As for our local, when I became a steward, our local was pretty near bankrupt due to the dishonest actions of the BA and his crony supporters. And it was very obvious as we "cleaned house" that a lot of union money was spent on his obsession with deviant sex. Something that was covered up by the good ole boys that supported him throughout the time he was BA.

With a lot of hard work, and a lot of volunteering, and a BA (this guy was a part timer, but had a good head for business) that was honest and sharp, we were in a position to almost get to take over another local that also was in bad shape. But because of a major sucking noise heard near Hoffa, it was given away to another local on the other end of the state, even though it should have stayed here.

So I guess my experience with Ba's and locals are mixed, but when good men stand by and do nothing, you dont have a right to complain. Get involved like we did, and turn things around. They are there to represent us. They need to fear us when they dont.

d

NHDRVR

Sleeve, your not spreading mis-information, just posting on what is done in your area.

As for our local, when I became a steward, our local was pretty near bankrupt due to the dishonest actions of the BA and his crony supporters. And it was very obvious as we "cleaned house" that a lot of union money was spent on his obsession with deviant sex. Something that was covered up by the good ole boys that supported him throughout the time he was BA.

With a lot of hard work, and a lot of volunteering, and a BA (this guy was a part timer, but had a good head for business) that was honest and sharp, we were in a position to almost get to take over another local that also was in bad shape. But because of a major sucking noise heard near Hoffa, it was given away to another local on the other end of the state, even though it should have stayed here.

So I guess my experience with Ba's and locals are mixed, but when good men stand by and do nothing, you dont have a right to complain. Get involved like we did, and turn things around. They are there to represent us. They need to fear us when they dont.

d

Good for you for trying to at least change the negative culture that was in your local. I think it's hard for a lot of drivers to see that if everyone did a little a lot will be accomplished.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
change the negative culture that was in your local
What was really hard was the "scorched earth" tactics they tried to use in overturning the election.

The BA tried to get a high level job with the teamsters, dont know if he was actually successful or not. Dont care as long as he was out of here. Even after he was out, he tried at the national level to destroy the local. But he will be able to draw his retirement without issue

d

browniehound

Translation: Selfish, I wannabe a FedEx, all you can eat, nonunion, subcontractor truck owner. It's all about me and my catbird seat.

Really? I should care about you and your laid off position? You wouldn't care about me if I were laid off. Why should I care about you? I don't want to sound harsh, but you pointed it out.

browniehound

Where is your sense of collectivism and Brotherhood ... you must think you are an individual. You are not, you are part of a hive of borg ... you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

I have no sense of collectivism (communism???) and brotherhood unless you are going to feed MY family when I'm out of work. Are you going to do that? I didn't think so.

browniehound

Brownie, I disagree. I think that right now is the exact time to be filing 9.5's. We have 13/14 rtes out on rd from 17. Of those 13 or 14 more than half of them work over 9.5 regularly. Last week I worked at least 11 hrs everyday, and I wasn't the only one. We have 5 drivers on layoff. If they would put in 1 more rte, even out the dispatch so we were at or just under 9.5, one more driver could be put back to work. I have 2 9.5 grievances that need to be filed this week and I WILL file them.

Dill,
We have no control over what UPS is going to do. They are going to cut your center from 17 to 14 routes no matter how many grievences you file. Its their business plan and your grievence is negligable compared with the cost of 3 drivers, trucks, and fuel everyday.

My suggestion is to keep your head down and work the extra hours or do your time in the hub if you're laid off. There are too many people without a job today to complain about working over 9.5.

For heavens sake, there are millions of people who wish they could work that in one week! All of these spoiled UPS workers need to get their collective heads out of their buts and look at the real world.

I can't believe I have to write this! Some drivers can't see how good they really have it?

Just quit and try to find another job in todays job market.

Very soon you'll be begging for those over 10's!