Has anyone worked as a Bagger in Sort and lost weight doing the job? [On Topic]

Fergalicious

One of the reasons I came back to UPS was to meet my goals in various ways, including losing a bit of weight through the physical work found in most of the package handling positions. As a former loader (hopefully to return there soon enough), I lost a significant amount of weight and toned up. However, despite my previous misconceptions of what happens in Small Sort, I've found my bagging position to be just as physical in its own way.

So, I'm just wondering, obviously in conjunction with good eating habits, is it possible to lose weight while being a Bagger? Has anyone here lost weight in that area?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
One of the reasons I came back to UPS was to meet my goals in various ways, including losing a bit of weight through the physical work found in most of the package handling positions. As a former loader (hopefully to return there soon enough), I lost a significant amount of weight and toned up. However, despite my previous misconceptions of what happens in Small Sort, I've found my bagging position to be just as physical in its own way.

So, I'm just wondering, obviously in conjunction with good eating habits, is it possible to lose weight while being a Bagger? Has anyone here lost weight in that area?
What?? Are you kidding me??? I loaded package cars on preload for over 9 years. 2 months ago.....I requested a move to small sort where I now happily bag surepost packages all day....with a big S* eating grin on my face. I don't break a sweat, lift anything over 15 lbs and my knees and ankles have never felt better.

But bagging is as physical a job as loading?? Not a chance. Load package cars in July when it's 90° inside and you're sweating buckets moving 100lb overweights. And see If that compares to....stand at a bin....scan small, drop, scan small, drop. Close bag, tape label and toss on a belt. If I burn 200 calories a shift now....I'd be surprised.

I'm never leaving small sort until I get a driving job....but I'm joining a gym after peak.

Last edited:

Fergalicious

What?? Are you kidding me??? I loaded package cars on preload for over 9 years. 2 months ago.....I requested a move to small sort where I now happily bag surepost packages all day....with a big S* eating grin on my face. I don't break a sweat, lift anything over 15 lbs and my knees and ankles have never felt better.

But bagging is as physical a job as loading?? Not a chance. Load package cars in July when it's 90° inside and you're sweating buckets. And see If that compares to....stand at a bin....scan, drop, scan, drop. Close bag, tape label and toss on a belt.
I must look like a super nut then, cause I find myself sweating and exhausting myself going super fast and trying to take on all of the lights at once lmao. I'm quite sure I do.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
*sigh* I know :/ Some reason, losing weight was so much easier at UPS tho.
For awhile yes. Eventually, your muscles become accustom to lifting heavy crap everyday. When I wasn't watching my sugar intake....I'd pack on a few pounds....especially around the holidays. The summers I'd slim down from all the extra sweating.

Fergalicious

For awhile yes. Eventually, your muscles become accustom to lifting heavy crap everyday. When I wasn't watching my sugar intake....I'd pack on a few pounds....especially around the holidays. The summers I'd slim down from all the extra sweating.
Oh yeah! I started gaining around the holidays as well, my waist was bloating faster than I'd ever notice. And that's what I heard from people who stayed longer than I, that your body gets used to it and they start to gain back :/ Sucks. I appreciated how I built all of that muscle though, before UPS I could say that I was pretty outta shape since middle school.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

But bagging is as physical a job as loading?? Not a chance. Load package cars in July when it's 90° inside and you're sweating buckets moving 100lb overweights. And see If that compares to....stand at a bin....scan small, drop, scan small, drop. Close bag, tape label and toss on a belt. If I burn 200 calories a shift now....I'd be surprised.

I'm never leaving small sort until I get a driving job....but I'm joining a gym after peak.
Are you getting fat?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Oh yeah! I started gaining around the holidays as well, my waist was bloating faster than I'd ever notice. And that's what I heard from people who stayed longer than I, that your body gets used to it and they start to gain back :/ Sucks. I appreciated how I built all of that muscle though, before UPS I could say that I was pretty outta shape since middle school.
Eat less food

BrownThunder

Not a chance. According to my Fitbit, when I was a loader I would walk 15-20miles and burn 5-6000 calories a day. Started at ups 298lbs in February I'm 226 now.

Wanna lose weight fast? Ask to be a loader and specifically ask to load the irreg trailer. You'll build muscle and shed weight trust me you'll be strong as an ox.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

No. Even in a NextGen Small Sort that has someone bagging at 600-700 pieces per hour, nearly every former loader I've seen go to small sort has gained 15-20 lbs in a year or two.

If you want to be in shape, join a gym. If you're sweating in small sort, you're :censored2:ing doing it wrong.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The only weight I lost in small sort was from the blood dripping out of my fingers from the forever bags loose threads wounds from around my finger nails . And yes I was wearing gloves .