Has anyone worked as a Bagger in Sort and lost weight doing the job? [On Topic]

Drink Craft Beer

I prefer bagging in forever bags...the filmsy velcro on the PO bags is a PITA.
My Hub won't let us use forever bags for surepost. Besides, I prefer the PO bags cause you can fit more in them. Plus it's easier to use a stapler and staple the label to the PO bags instead of messing with a tape gun which I think would be a PITA.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My Hub won't let us use forever bags for surepost. Besides, I prefer the PO bags cause you can fit more in them. Plus it's easier to use a stapler and staple the label to the PO bags instead of messing with a tape gun which I think would be a PITA.
We tape the labels to the PO bags.. It's a PITA

Drink Craft Beer

We tape the labels to the PO bags.. It's a PITA
Instead of taping, take a small hand held stapler and staple the label (a few times) to the PO bag. So much simpler and less time consuming.

If possible, once bag is ready to tie velcro strap, lift bag onto something study (I turn over a large plastic trash can and use the base... if you have the room to do so) where tie is about face level. Easier to tie and apply tag with stapler, then throw onto the belt.

Much easier on your back instead of bending over to tie bag.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Instead of taping, take a small hand held stapler and staple the label (a few times) to the PO bag. So much simpler and less time consuming.

If possible, once bag is ready to tie velcro strap, lift bag onto something study (I turn over a large plastic trash can and use the base... if you have the room to do so) where tie is about face level. Easier to tie and apply tag with stapler, then throw onto the belt.

Much easier on your back instead of bending over to tie bag.
We have steel tables next to the belt to lift, tie and label the bags, then push them onto the belt. No staplers, We have tape....I work as directed.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my days of bagging snalls I got a slight work out. I'd fill those bags up quick and heavy and that ends up being lots of lifting and slinging heavy bags onto the smalls belt to get them downstairs. Plus, the heat that isn't trapped inside the trailers all travels up to smalls and can make anyone sweat. No one said smalls is as hard as loading. But it can be strenous.

PT Car Washer

In my days of bagging snalls I got a slight work out. I'd fill those bags up quick and heavy and that ends up being lots of lifting and slinging heavy bags onto the smalls belt to get them downstairs. Plus, the heat that isn't trapped inside the trailers all travels up to smalls and can make anyone sweat. No one said smalls is as hard as loading. But it can be strenous.
For some people breathing is strenuous.

browner89

What?? Are you kidding me??? I loaded package cars on preload for over 9 years. 2 months ago.....I requested a move to small sort where I now happily bag surepost packages all day....with a big S* eating grin on my face. I don't break a sweat, lift anything over 15 lbs and my knees and ankles have never felt better.

But bagging is as physical a job as loading?? Not a chance. Load package cars in July when it's 90° inside and you're sweating buckets moving 100lb overweights. And see If that compares to....stand at a bin....scan small, drop, scan small, drop. Close bag, tape label and toss on a belt. If I burn 200 calories a shift now....I'd be surprised.

I'm never leaving small sort until I get a driving job....but I'm joining a gym after peak.

I think it depends on your small sort setup, ours is setup where it's definitely a little bit of a workout compared to some where I see packages coming down a chute at waste level.

Ours is a series of 40+ bins per side where each bagger covers 20+ ranging from ankle height to above the head.

Not calling it as hard as loading by any means, but you're fitting every range of motion into it and a lot of those bags end up being 50-70lbs before being lifted off the hooks and onto the belt. It can certainly be a workout the way my building is setup compared to videos i've seen of hubs like Grande Vista and World Port small sorts where the job looks like a total joke. Just not the case in mine.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think it depends on your small sort setup, ours is setup where it's definitely a little bit of a workout compared to some where I see packages coming down a chute at waste level.

Ours is a series of 40+ bins per side where each bagger covers 20+ ranging from ankle height to above the head.

Not calling it as hard as loading by any means, but you're fitting every range of motion into it and a lot of those bags end up being 50-70lbs before being lifted off the hooks and onto the belt. It can certainly be a workout the way my building is setup compared to videos i've seen of hubs like Grande Vista and World Port small sorts where the job looks like a total joke. Just not the case in mine.
I cover 9 rows of 5 bins...or 45 bins. The other guy covers the other 9 rows. Is it busy? Yea. But a workout? No friggin way. Small boxes and clothing bags vs wrestling with 90lb tires and overweights? Please....my body feels almost as good as when I'm on vacation.
You obviously never unloaded or loaded.

browner89

I cover 9 rows of 5 bins...or 45 bins. The other guy covers the other 9 rows. Is it busy? Yea. But a workout? No friggin way. Small boxes and clothing bags vs wrestling with 90lb tires and overweights? Please....my body feels almost as good as when I'm on vacation.
You obviously never unloaded or loaded.

I've done both plenty, I also clearly said it's not as hard as either by any means, but I assume you quit reading before that point. I also don't bag either, nothing I do at UPS is difficult outside of memorizing the sort changes we get weekly in smalls. I stay in shape by many other means.

Was there a point in time where you weren't so full of yourself? I'm just curious. Someone attempts to say "Well, consider that in some places XXX may be more difficult that in others, because none of us have seen every locations setup for XXX" and it somehow leads to "well i bet you've never done this, HA! I have, lowbie!"

You're also one of my favorite posters here, when you aren't on your period, informative and helpful and have as much knowledge of the general preload as any poster here, but sometimes you need to accept that you don't know it all.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've done both plenty, I also clearly said it's not as hard as either by any means, but I assume you quit reading before that point. I also don't bag either, nothing I do at UPS is difficult outside of memorizing the sort changes we get weekly in smalls. I stay in shape by many other means.

Was there a point in time where you weren't so full of yourself? I'm just curious. Someone attempts to say "Well, consider that in some places XXX may be more difficult that in others, because none of us have seen every locations setup for XXX" and it somehow leads to "well i bet you've never done this, HA! I have, lowbie!"

You're also one of my favorite posters here, when you aren't on your period, informative and helpful and have as much knowledge of the general preload as any poster here, but sometimes you need to accept that you don't know it all.
Never said I knew it all. Simply said to the OP that sorting and bagging smalls isn't really enough exercise to lose weight....unless she has an extremely sedentary lifestyle outside of work.

I am on my period all peak long.

SubPop79

Not a chance. According to my Fitbit, when I was a loader I would walk 15-20miles and burn 5-6000 calories a day. Started at ups 298lbs in February I'm 226 now.

Wanna lose weight fast? Ask to be a loader and specifically ask to load the irreg trailer. You'll build muscle and shed weight trust me you'll be strong as an ox.

You have 1 trailer just for irregs? Damn. All but one of our trucks get irregs. Well, make that two now that its peak season and my truck gets blown everynight now and management won't give me a second except on Mondays.