Has anything been lost during a contract and then brought back in a new contract?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
For instance was something lost, like a benefit, or a rule and brought back in later contracts? I ask because of the healthcare.

Enrollment for benefits pre-2008 began at 3 months for single coverage, 6 months for family coverage. That increased under the '08-'13 contract to 12 months/18 months and was later reduced under the pending TA ('13-'18) to 12/12.

That's probably because waiting 12 months to get insurance (let alone 18 for family coverage) is a joke in a union shop.

Other than that? Nope.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I have no clue why I'm paying dues.

Because our union gives someone with or without a high school diploma a shot to eventually make somewhere in the neighborhood of $90,000 - $100,000 per year in total compensation?

Granted, it might take them 15-20 years of struggling to get there and then 4 more years to reach top rate.

stink219

RTM State!
Right To Mooch!

You seem to beat this TA drum pretty hard.

What exactly did you sacrifice in this TA?
The only thing I can see as a sacrifice for my area is that peak was extended by 2 weeks and a 4 year progression. What we gained for that was that 1) our casuals will come from the inside instead of outside. 2) the time spent working will reduce their progressing once FT. 3) They will use these casuals to also cover for full weeks when excessive book offs occur during the year so sups will not pull routes.

Beyond that, I really see no concessions. People say that certain language on 9.5 or technology got worse. But comparing the language, I do not see it as such. I deal with contract issues everyday.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The only thing I can see as a sacrifice for my area is that peak was extended by 2 weeks and a 4 year progression. What we gained for that was that 1) our casuals will come from the inside instead of outside. 2) the time spent working will reduce their progressing once FT. 3) They will use these casuals to also cover for full weeks when excessive book offs occur during the year so sups will not pull routes.

Beyond that, I really see no concessions. People say that certain language on 9.5 or technology got worse. But comparing the language, I do not see it as such. I deal with contract issues everyday.

I agree with this, except you omitted increasing the FT progression from 3 years to 4 years. Now, if the "new" 9.5 language (in practice, not on paper) can actually start the process of the union forcing UPS to open up more package car routes (net gain in FT jobs) then I can live with it. But I just don't see it happening.

stink219

For instance was something lost, like a benefit, or a rule and brought back in later contracts? I ask because of the healthcare.
There was a time when a new contract meant IMPROVEMENTS not CONCESSIONS.
You do know their are 2 parties involved right? You do know what happens when only one side takes right?
Some people talk like we lost everything. I find it a bit extreme.