Has the browncafe changed ?

rod

Retired 22 years
Great post. I started with the company in 2009 and started reading the forum a couple months later. I "lurked" until last summer without posting/registering because I felt I hadn't "earned" a right to post yet. Over the last few years I've seen quite a bit on the board, but not as much as those who have been here since the beginning. That being said I think things are still essentially the same.

The cafe is a great place for all of us to come together and hang out. Great questions are asked and answered. People learn new things and ways of doing things. It is an invaluable source of information for employees both new hires and veterans alike. Sure there is a "use the search function" or wiseass response to questions that have been answered over and over or to new members who don't approach the community with respect and humility, and some bitter people who you can't please, however for the most part we're very helpful as a whole.

As to what has changed...not much. There has been a bit more drama and open bickering in threads as of late, but that is par for the course on an internet community where people enjoy quasi-anonymity. Some folks tend to have a bit more courage or treat others differently when they don't have to look them in the eye and can hide behind a keyboard, so sadly sometimes online exchanges tend to be different than in-person exchanges.

I think part of what makes the cafe great is that reasonable free speech is encouraged without unnecessary censorship. Just about every thread gets hopelessly derailed but I've come to love that about this place. Sometimes the derailment gets more interesting than the original post.

I'm happy to have the privilege to be a part of the cafe and sincerely appreciate those who host it and the effort put forth by those who take the time to help out as moderators.

They won't cut you any slack just because you try to suck up to them. Its been tried before.:wink2:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Umm, I visited the facility and dealt with the security guards there. They were very miserable and stupid. When I put my phone in the basket and went through the metal detector, I asked the security guard if I can take up the phone now, and he yell yea in a vulgar tone. I felt like to punch him in his temple. But I did the right thing and ignored him. And one more thing for you, NEVER QUESTION MY INTEGRITY! I don't know you and you don't know me, lets keep it that way, ok pal?
That you David Banner?

pretender

A lot of posters have stated that the site has changed for the worse lately.
I personally disagree.It has always been a great place for upsers and anyone else
for that matter,to express your thoughts,rant,or otherwise just share experiences.
The only thing that ever changes is people.
There are thousands more members than 15 years ago,and it's more diversified.
For every maroon that says something stupid,there are 99% of the rest of us that
see it for what it really is.
I consider everyone here a friend,until they give me a reason not to be.
I do think that in some cases the lenience of rules about the TOS gives
the impression that you can say whatever you want with impunity.
This causes some animosity,and ultimately must be dealt with on a human level.
The browncafe is still exactly what Cheryl meant it to be. Nothing has changed.
To me it's like a hobby,I really am not obsessed with it as some folks seem to be.
I actually enjoy interacting here.We have some amazing people here that have
taught me a lot.
I was going to do a poll,but it would be stupid.So let me just ask.
How is the browncafe different than it "used" to be?

I didn't realize it until I double checked, but I have been on here for almost 10 years. I only lurked for many of those years, and would go for weeks without checking in. So, I cannot really say how much it has changed. The names escape me at the moment, but I recall some lively debates--There is one person in particular, who would go at it with tieguy. Does anyone remember his name? The bad apples are always going to stand out, but given the huge increase in numbers, you could make a case that conditions are actually better overall.

To me, the main difference is that there are more posts that are just plain hard to read. People just don't believe in at least making an attempt at paragraphs and punctuation. Misspelled words don't bother me so much, because after all, most of us are just truck drivers. I am sure I have mangled a few words. However, as the commercial says, "people judge you by the words you use".

Actually, I am struck by the number of REALLY SMART people on this site. I also have learned a lot from these forums. It is possible to avoid nearly all of the bickering and find some very interesting threads. There is something here for everyone!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
DS - I think you nailed it pretty good. It's not the site that has changed. BRB

It's not the site that has changed, it's the people. The nature of BC doesn't allow it to change. It is an inanimate thing. It is the people that animate BC. I think a lot of that is to be blamed on UPS itself. We work in high stress jobs and UPS's changes over the years have made that even more difficult to deal with. Their pushing and pushing is sending people over the edge. They don't care about the employees (and I shouldn't say this as a blanket statement - there are mgt out their that do care), they don't care about the customers, all they care about is the bottom line - the almighty dollar. We come here, to BC, to blow off steam and people don't stop. They just keep going and going and going, not realizing that there is a point where blowing off steam becomes personal attacks and vendettas. The diatribe doesn't stop. It creates a hostility within the site, because people perceive things differently. Some think that others are getting away with something. Some don't see it that way.

We have more and more young punks coming in here (BC) that don't have a clue. It's seems as though education has been thrown out the window in the last two decades. They don't know proper grammar or spelling. They couldn't put a coherent sentence together if their lives depended on it. They don't know proper respect. It's the silver platter generation. Mommy - I WANT or Daddy - I WANT, and when they don't get the throw a freaking temper tantrum to get their way. The sad thing is, it's worked. If I had thrown a temper tantrum to get something the only thing I would have gotten is an ass beating.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Umm, I visited the facility and dealt with the security guards there. They were very miserable and stupid. When I put my phone in the basket and went through the metal detector, I asked the security guard if I can take up the phone now, and he yell yea in a vulgar tone. I felt like to punch him in his temple. But I did the right thing and ignored him. And one more thing for you, NEVER QUESTION MY INTEGRITY! I don't know you and you don't know me, lets keep it that way, ok pal?

Most people become angry after working at UPS for a while. You are already angry. Get to know your steward. I did like the punching in the temple comment though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No disrespect intended, but as of yesterday you said you were not yet working for the company so I'm not sure how you can judge "everyone" as ups employees as miserable and impatient.

I question that your not a troll. If this is actually u and how u act. As so many others have said wow.

A

anonymous6

haven't been here long enough to say but i have noticed that many newcomers get slammed for asking supposedly dumb questions.

i was always taught that there was no such thing as a stupid question. let's give new people some slack and make them feel welcome. the BC will only get better with diversity.

ups hero

]
When I put my phone in the basket and went through the metal detector, I asked the security guard if I can take up the phone now, and he yell yea in a vulgar tone. I felt like to punch him in his temple.

Wow, if you wanted to punch the guard for being a jerk, just wait until you meet the majority of the supervisors....
If you get hired, one thing to know is: no matter what your doing , your wrong. If you go in knowing this and expect the worst then you'll be ok.
Think positive, and know this, your coworkers have your back as long as you got theirs. There are a lot of miserable people there, but most are good people just having a rough day.
Good luck,hero.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A lot of posters have stated that the site has changed for the worse lately.
I personally disagree.It has always been a great place for upsers and anyone else
for that matter,to express your thoughts,rant,or otherwise just share experiences.
The only thing that ever changes is people.
There are thousands more members than 15 years ago,and it's more diversified.
For every maroon that says something stupid,there are 99% of the rest of us that
see it for what it really is.
I consider everyone here a friend,until they give me a reason not to be.
I do think that in some cases the lenience of rules about the TOS gives
the impression that you can say whatever you want with impunity.
This causes some animosity,and ultimately must be dealt with on a human level.
The browncafe is still exactly what Cheryl meant it to be. Nothing has changed.
To me it's like a hobby,I really am not obsessed with it as some folks seem to be.
I actually enjoy interacting here.We have some amazing people here that have
taught me a lot.
I was going to do a poll,but it would be stupid.So let me just ask.
How is the browncafe different than it "used" to be?

I didn't realize it until I double checked, but I have been on here for almost 10 years. I only lurked for many of those years, and would go for weeks without checking in. So, I cannot really say how much it has changed. The names escape me at the moment, but I recall some lively debates--There is one person in particular, who would go at it with tieguy. Does anyone remember his name? The bad apples are always going to stand out, but given the huge increase in numbers, you could make a case that conditions are actually better overall.

To me, the main difference is that there are more posts that are just plain hard to read. People just don't believe in at least making an attempt at paragraphs and punctuation. Misspelled words don't bother me so much, because after all, most of us are just truck drivers. I am sure I have mangled a few words. However, as the commercial says, "people judge you by the words you use".

Actually, I am struck by the number of REALLY SMART people on this site. I also have learned a lot from these forums. It is possible to avoid nearly all of the bickering and find some very interesting threads. There is something here for everyone!

This site is just like anything else in life it goes in cycles. Some times for weeks at a time I think man this place sucks we have talked about it all. Then someone will start a great thread.

Returntosender

Man are you a train wreck. May God have mercy on your soul.
The guy is bipolar and has anger mangement issues he admitted toin another thread. If their was to be workplace shooting at UPS this new hire is a prime suspect, wants to punch security, has short temper with lots of triggers. Joined this site when he was not even a UPS employee talking crap when he did not even experience working in any UPS op. How he got pass HR risk management screening is a miracle.

If you have not noticed his handle has the word massacre in it.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
The guy is bipolar and has anger mangement issues he admitted toin another thread. If their was to be workplace shooting at UPS this new hire is a prime suspect, wants to punch security, has short temper with lots of triggers. Joined this site when he was not even a UPS employee talking crap when he did not even experience working in any UPS op. How he got pass HR risk management screening is a miracle.

If you have not noticed his handle has the word massacre in it.

Did you notice how quickly he picked up on things like rep?
Me thinks he protest too much and perhaps is not who he pretends to be...or he is the worse hire of 2013.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
]

Wow, if you wanted to punch the guard for being a jerk, just wait until you meet the majority of the supervisors....
If you get hired, one thing to know is: no matter what your doing , your wrong. If you go in knowing this and expect the worst then you'll be ok.
Think positive, and know this, your coworkers have your back as long as you got theirs. There are a lot of miserable people there, but most are good people just having a rough day.
Good luck,hero.

I do not think his co-workers will be respected by the poor hire.
He asked for advice and I told him to keep his mouth shut and respect those with seniority.
Fat chance in hell....

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
haven't been here long enough to say but i have noticed that many newcomers get slammed for asking supposedly dumb questions.

i was always taught that there was no such thing as a stupid question. let's give new people some slack and make them feel welcome. the BC will only get better with diversity.

I agree.
I do not recall a probe with an attitude like this guy.

oldngray

nowhere special

I remember when a prof would say there are no stupid questions ... then someone would quickly open their mouth and prove him wrong.