Has the DOT physical got easier?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I had to re certify on Friday and had probably one of the easiest exams ever. The exams are less rigorous and it seems like they want you in and out in a hurray.

Exams used to include: running in place (pulse check), drug pee test,hearing test,find the number hidden in the color test and as crazy as it may sound he even skipped the hernia test.

He gave me a cursory exam, reflex test,thumping his fingers around your torso,a look in your ears then that was it. I was sure he was going to make me do deep knee bends or the close your eyes and touch your finger to your nose and then he asked, are you a new hire or is this a re certification? I said "re-cert" and he said ok your done.

Note: The pee test was just for sugar levels. The gal said I could flush (you could not do this before) when I was done because they were not doing a drug test.

All I know is that I got a 2-year cert in the fastest turnaround for a DOT physical ever.

over9five

Staff member
These physicals were never the most comprehensive so making them even less so may not be the best thing to do. I know a lot of my co-workers do not have a family doctor and do not get annual physicals.

Good point. That is exactly why I like an easy DOT physical. My own doctor does everything, don't need the DOT doctor giving me any finger probes I've already had!

I figured out the secret to getting through DOT physicals in record time: go in ten minutes before the doctor's office closes and ask them if they have time for a DOT physical. They will rush you through every time.

bluehdmc

I think it depends on the doctor, some seem to be more thorough than others. I've had some do the hearing with a machine and some do it just by whispering behind me. All this at the same medical facility.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
STILL THOUGH, wish it was a little more thorough, getting time off for a doctors appointment is almost impossible. Unless you are the right person in my building.

UPSGUY72

I had to re certify on Friday and had probably one of the easiest exams ever. The exams are less rigorous and it seems like they want you in and out in a hurray.

Exams used to include: running in place (pulse check), drug pee test,hearing test,find the number hidden in the color test and as crazy as it may sound he even skipped the hernia test.

He gave me a cursory exam, reflex test,thumping his fingers around your torso,a look in your ears then that was it. I was sure he was going to make me do deep knee bends or the close your eyes and touch your finger to your nose and then he asked, are you a new hire or is this a re certification? I said "re-cert" and he said ok your done.

Note: The pee test was just for sugar levels. The gal said I could flush (you could not do this before) when I was done because they were not doing a drug test.

All I know is that I got a 2-year cert in the fastest turnaround for a DOT physical ever.

I take it you a package car driver ?

You didn't get a full DOT physical. Meaning the physical you got isn't good enough for you to drive a Tractor trailer (CDL). When i got mine it was just eyes, ear was him standing behind me whispering, check for sugar, and made sure I could lift a box.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
my last physical also was a joke; I had stopped taking my hypertension pills, so my blood pressure was sky high and they still passed me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
the quickest one I ever took was showing up at 7am when the doors opened. Had me and 3 other drivers out of there in 15 minutes and on our way to work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I could never figure out why they did a color blind test at every physical. The very first UPS physical you would take would show if you are color blind or not. Color blindness is something you are born with- it never gets any better or worse with age. I've always been color blind. I could pick out about half of the numbers in the book. They would always ask- have you ever gotten a ticket for running a red light? ------No----------you pass. Factoid-- 7 % of males are color blind while only .4 % of females are.

ol'browneye

I can't get any of those color dot numbers right! They just point at colored objects in the room,(red, green and yellow or amber) and I tell them what color they are.