Has the Teamsters sold you out?

Bill

Im in Central States, progression was 30 months for me. I've never heard of a 4 year wait to top pay. If I had to wait that long, I would've just bid a 22.3 job. Come to think of it, that probably would've been the smarter move anyway.[/qu
We all work for UPS, but we receive different benefits depending on the region of the country we work in. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt that it takes 30 months to hit top pay. It is still a sell out when it once was a 6 month wait. Furthermore, it is the Teamsters who negotiate the contract and then the members vote on it. The Teamsters negotiated a wage decrease for the part timers, which they never should have done. The wage deduction should not have been brought to a vote. If the part-timers were earning as much as they did back in 1985, they wouldn't be quitting every so often, and UPS would not have to keep training new employees.

any122

adirondack man
It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out, not the full timers. They are the ones that negotiated the contract, not the workers. Maybe in the conference you fall under, the wait is two and a half years, but where I am from in CS, the wait is four years.
The teamsters love to have different contracts.Thats how they keep everyone confused and its so easy for them (IBT)to steal,lie and decieve all the fellow brotherhood.Don't worry soon the APWA will be here.The APWA is coming the APWA is coming!The headline will read HOFFA OUT OF BUISNESS DUE TO UPS EMPLOYEES JOINING TOGETHER FOR CHANGE!:thumbup1:

badpas

If we are going to set ourself free of all the problems we're having with the teamsters this is the kind of thinking we need. Its the kind of people who have the balls to stand up and be heard. If the teamsters had been trying to straighten out this mess, we wouldn't even be talking about this. Well said chevy!

badpas

I like your enthusiasum. There is alot of folks in ohio wanting the same. My advice to everyone who cares, don't forget to vote, its the only thing you can do for yourself. If you want a fresh start, wipe the slate clean. Too much for the teamsters to change or even be able to change. And for what I've seen and researched they couldn't even if they wanted to. Its time to take back our futures and get what we've all earned, and the onlu way thats going to happen is to vote.

Bill

The teamsters love to have different contracts.Thats how they keep everyone confused and its so easy for them (IBT)to steal,lie and decieve all the fellow brotherhood.Don't worry soon the APWA will be here.The APWA is coming the APWA is coming!The headline will read HOFFA OUT OF BUISNESS DUE TO UPS EMPLOYEES JOINING TOGETHER FOR CHANGE!:thumbup1:
The Teamsters (business agents) must be worried because they are now showing up at the UPS facilities every day and passing out their propaganda. Before the APWA was around, the BA's rarely showed their face.

Cole

eng,

What kind of propaganda are they passing out? I would love to see our slack arse ba pass some out here.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
eng,

What kind of propaganda are they passing out? I would love to see our slack arse ba pass some out here.
They just love putting a spin on the APWA by the teamsters.
They have told drivers that Van Skillman is being flyed around on Eskews private jet ? The UPS company is funding the APWA ? One thing for sure ask them what concrete solution to fixing the pension and insurance benefits their answer is we are looking into it ! I have only heard that before so that must be standard issue answer. They the teamsters have no answers other than trying to negotiate more money for our new contract but the company`s stance is our people arn`t getting additional money so i assume they have had enough of this confusion !

Cole

How could Eskew be flying Van around if he's having to meet Hoffa and the gang on the Golf Course?

Fullhouse

Correction it must be election time again if the BA's are paying visits.
Don't forget, during a contract in the lates 80's UPS offered $500 bonus to partimers and $1000 bonus to fulltimers for each year of that contract. Guess what? It passed with no problem. I think the part timers passed that contract all by themselves. They paid half the dues and got a whole vote.I bet half of those college kids have moved on to different careers, and they can't remember the party they spent than bonus check on.

trickpony1

Correction it must be election time again if the BA's are paying visits.
Don't forget, during a contract in the lates 80's UPS offered $500 bonus to partimers and $1000 bonus to fulltimers for each year of that contract. Guess what? It passed with no problem. I think the part timers passed that contract all by themselves. They paid half the dues and got a whole vote.I bet half of those college kids have moved on to different careers, and they can't remember the party they spent than bonus check on.

Good point!
I think the election for our local is in September. Our BA is out of grocery and doesn't know, or care, about the UPS membership. Grievances aren't heard, phone calls aren't returned and whenever he is asked a question his response is, "let me go ask the labor relations manager". WTF.
I agree with your thoughts on the PT'ers passing the contract. The company loves it. The company knows all they have to do is pump enough pizza and soda pop up these kid's a## and the contract will pass. Give the PT'ers enough beer money and they will pass the contract without reading the language I mean, after all, why should they care? They are only gonna be around for a couple more years......who cares if the FT'ers that have a family, a future and a retirement (we think) get screwed?
You're absolutely correct. At some point the pizza, soda pop and hot dogs will appear in surprising quantity along with the "hugs and kisses".

Bill

Hes apwa all of their math is a little fuzzy!
The only fuzzy math is the Teamster version. Why do we receive less than half the $214 per week that UPS contributes on our behalf? I'll bet that you will not answer this question?

Cole

Trick I hear what you're saying about the part-timers, but if we don't educate them, then they will listen to the company's view etc...and their are plenty of fulltimeers that do the same.

Eng, in 705's defense he is at a conference, and may not be available to respond.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Trick I hear what you're saying about the part-timers, but if we don't educate them, then they will listen to the company's view etc...and their are plenty of fulltimeers that do the same.

Eng, in 705's defense he is at a conference, and may not be available to respond.

Cole, with all due respect, I listen to both parties but one is going to be better organized, passionate and therefore more convincing. I'm afraid this doesn't describe the Teamsters (at least not in my neck of the woods). If I get a compelling arguement, I'll listen. When I was in my teens, I was discussing unions with my father (a big mistake) and he made a great point, "You don't work for the union! You work for the Company! Never take sides against your boss with an outside entity." I'm 23 and I've never lost a job. -Rocky

trickpony1

Rocky-
you didn't mention if your father was in management with a big multibillion dollar a year company or if he was an hourly worker fighting to make ends meet.
We would be interested in knowing.
Thanks.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky-
you didn't mention if your father was in management with a big multibillion dollar a year company or if he was an hourly worker fighting to make ends meet.
We would be interested in knowing.
Thanks.

He's not a member of managment per se, Trick. The PM I sent you explains. -Rocky

Cole

"You don't work for the union! You work for the Company! Never take sides against your boss with an outside entity." I'm 23 and I've never lost a job. -Rocky

No we don't work for the Union,though they think we do, but we pay the union to work for us. Well I am 40 and haven't "lost a job" but as far as taking sides, the union negotiates our contract and the aspect of the union my comments are about are the workers under the contract, and educating them on their rights within the contract, and NRLA, and how to enforce that contract etc....Now would the company teach them how to fight for their contracttual rights etc...? No indeed the more in the dark you the employee are the better for them,and often the union likes to keep members in the dark, so those that have been around should teach the others how to got things done etc...

Who's side should one take when the company shorts/steals hours from usually part-timers?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
the union negotiates our contract and the aspect of the union my comments are about are the workers under the contract, and educating them on their rights within the contract, and NRLA, and how to enforce that contract etc....Now would the company teach them how to fight for their contracttual rights etc...?

Who's side should one take when the company shorts/steals hours from usually part-timers?

True, the union negotiates our contract. All well and good, Cole. I have no problem with the theory behind collective bargaining. I have a problem with some of the applications and negatives of it, though. I have no problem with the rights afforded to union employees under a union contract. Even though some of those rights make me sick, I accept those rights as being granted by a contract. At the same time, I see red everytime I walk past my sup's board and see 25% of the area didn't show. I have the biggest problem ever with allowing employees to slide on this issue. You want stories????? PM me. I've got 'em but they're too long or too specific to post publicly. It makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

In answer to your first question, no the company wouldn't teach employees how to fight for their contractual rights. The company has no motivation to do so. As a result, it rightly falls in the union's lap to do so. Failure to do so is a reflection on the bargaining organization, not the employees.

In answer to your second question, the Company tries to steal from employees all the time. If caught, I'll bring it to my sup's attention. In the instance of a shortage of hours, I'm on the employee's side. I won't deny I'm kinda offended if you imply, much more think I'd take management's side and support whatever justification they offer in that instance :crying: :sad:. Shorting a paycheck is unethical under every code of ethics I've ever read. It also fits the definition of theft. -Rocky

Cole

Rocky,

You said
Never take sides against your boss with an outside entity." I'm 23 and I've never lost a job. -Rocky
Since you said, "Never" I was simply pointing out a circumstance which happens probably at every center every week, that you certainly better not side with your boss etc...and you said you're 23, and I said I am 40, I have been at UPS almost 20yrs now, and a steward for about 18 of those years, so no offense or arrogance meant, but there aren't too many stories/situations I haven't seen, or at least nothing that would overly surprize me.

As far as people not showing; if the company let's them get away with it, or can't keep people, that's their fault. I have seen 2 former co-workers fired for excessive abscences and they got away with it for years, and no matter what we (as stewards) told them they continued until it was too late. When I say excessive I mean very excessive.

I have that problem with a driver now, and I even told him I think he will eventually be fired, only because I have seen it before, and he showed no desire to stop calling in every Friday, and Mon. He even had multiple pending terminations, and called in! People like that make me sick, because you know they don't get it no matter what you do.

He like the other 2 think because we have gotten them back that they can keep missing, even when we tell them "no more" accept personal Holidays, vacations, paid sick days, FMLA, or proven emergencie which are negotiated benefits, and cannot be used against us.

Sometimes the problem is the company lets some people miss a huge amount of days, and others get called it for much less abscenses, so they have an ununiformed policy.

amclain

First of all--the wages of Part-time employee have been reduced in order that full-time employee can received large pay raises because full-time employees report to work everyday and on-time. The pension and medical was cut by Central States and not by the TEamsters Union. Also your employer UPS has a member on the Trust Board of Central States, and maybe if you asked him why the pension and medical insurance was reduce. He would inform you the funds within the pension and medical insurance dropped because of the Stock market decreases starting in 1999>2002. But since you refused to read issues concerning the Pension and insurance, you would not know Federal law mandates that if any multi-employer pension funds drop below the 65% mark versus the amount of obligations. The trustees of that plan has to adjust the numbers, and since Employer-and Employee of the trustee deadlock their plan to shore-up the funds, a Federal judge in Illinois rendered a decision that changes had to be implemented in order to keep the funds about 65% levels. You need to read and research before you make an ass of yourself.