Has the Teamsters sold you out?

F

Fulltimer22

contract

Today at work i was told by my supervisor to send my ballot it with a yes. This threw up a red flag. First off i work at the most under represented center in the U.S. Most of our sheep at work will vote yes. I dont trust my managment team at all. Them telling me to vote yes scared the hell out of me. Is giving our pension to ups the answer. They constantly try to cheat me out of hours work, if they had my pension would they try to cheat me out of that too. Also does our union have any power without Central State. Sounds to good to be true.

Fredless

APWA Hater
so step up to the plate and start enforcing the contract. If they say they're going to fire you for enforcing the contract, tell them you'll see them at panel.

doug

"It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out,"

It was the part-timers who cut their own throats by never going to union meetings. Their non-participation in their union led to them being forgotten.

By their pure numbers, part-timers could RUN this union if they weren't so apathetic.
AMEN, no one wants to take the blame they always want to blame others. Its never them its always others, give me a brake. thanks for such a logicgal post

Cole

To be fair alot of times some locals set meetings when p-timers run air on Saturday's. Even so at least around here part-timers largely haven't attended union meetings. When I was part-time I did attend them, but few others did then, and even less now.

amclain

1) FTers were swayed by UPS to cut the future PTers throat with the promise of bigger raises. No one forced you to vote yes. Try a no vote next time.
2) 4 years?? Lets just make up examples. It's two 1/2 years. Again, vote no. You can't get anyone to vote No in the entire existence of UPS and that won't change with APWA.
3) Ya miss represented 1 & 2 so why should we believe 3??

Your right # 3 is off by 16 months as per Article 41 states 30 months if becoming a full-time employee after 8-2002.

Part-Time Starting Rate Frozen at $8.50

Healthcare Givebacks for New Part-Timers
Details on the proposed economic package for part-timers are beginning to emerge, and they are not pretty.

The tentative agreement would freeze the starting pay rate for part-timers at $8.50 until August 2013. It would provide for an increase to $10.50 after 90 days on the job.

In a major concession, the proposed early deal reportedly denies health coverage to part-timers for the first year of employment, and family coverage for the first 18 months.

This is the “Very Best Agreement” that Hoffa promised?

The starting rate for part-timers at UPS will soon fall below the legal minimum wage in many states. In California, for example, the minimum wage will be $8.00 by the end of this year. By the time this contract takes effect (Aug. 1, 2008), it may be $8.50.

What will the minimum wage be in 2013 in California or in your state? Almost certainly more than $8.50, and perhaps over $10.50.

Should the largest and strongest Teamster contract—at the richest Teamster employer—provide for starting wages that are less than the minimum wage? Less than what Wal-Mart pays?
:sad::confused:1

Under the proposed deal, it will take longer for part-time Teamsters to go full-time because the tentative deal will NOT create 10,000 new full-time jobs like the 1997 and 2002 contracts did. Instead it creates fewer jobs.

In a positive step, the tentative agreement increases the penalty for supervisors working from time-and-a-half to double time. That’s an improvement, where the union enforces this language.

UPS made more than $4 billion in profits last year. Is this really the best they could deliver to the part-timers who make up the majority of their workforce?
:crying::sad:

Details on the proposed economic package for part-timers are beginning to emerge, and they are not pretty.

The tentative agreement would freeze the starting pay rate for part-timers at $8.50 until August 2013. It would provide for an increase to $10.50 after 90 days on the job.

In a major concession, the proposed early deal reportedly denies health coverage to part-timers for the first year of employment, and family coverage for the first 18 months.

The starting rate for part-timers at UPS will soon fall below the legal minimum wage in many states. In California, for example, the minimum wage will be $8.00 by the end of this year. By the time this contract takes effect (Aug. 1, 2008), it may be $8.50.

What will the minimum wage be in 2013 in California or in your state? Almost certainly more than $8.50, and perhaps over $10.50.

Should the largest and strongest Teamster contract—at the richest Teamster employer—provide for starting wages that are less than the minimum wage? Less than what Wal-Mart pays?

Under the proposed deal, it will take longer for part-time Teamsters to go full-time because the tentative deal will NOT create 10,000 new full-time jobs like the 1997 and 2002 contracts did. Instead it creates fewer jobs.

In a positive step, the tentative agreement increases the penalty for supervisors working from time-and-a-half to double time. That’s an improvement, where the union enforces this language.

UPS made more than $4 billion in profits last year. Is this really the best they could deliver to the part-timers who make up the majority of their workforce?

Do you figure that if you post this in every thread it will give it more credibility?

Braveheart

AMEN, no one wants to take the blame they always want to blame others. Its never them its always others, give me a brake. thanks for such a logicgal post
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that when we all started as part timers we stuck it out and all of us were there 4 to 8 years. Now they all quit in their first couple years and some in the first couple months. They have no backbone, no leaders, nothing to lose or gain in their eyes because they just started or are just about to quit. The part timers looked at the raises going up to $1 plus 5 years ago and that was it. If we want to keep getting a new loader every 6 months and part timers who will not help us enforce the contract like supervisors working then keep being selfish. But if we put things into the contract to retain the part timers and give them things to aspire to and things to fight for like more full time jobs, combo and so forth, then I think we will be a stronger union and we will all win and prosper. Do we all forget that most of us were part timers at one time.

Braveheart

I agree with you. They traded away the part timers sick days in the last contract for partial pro rata vacation time for employees who did not make the 156 reports. While the pro rata is good it only helped about 5% of the work force yet the 3 year wait to get sick days NEGATIVELY EFFECTED 100% of all new part timers. I want you all to think about working for a company for 3 or more years with ZERO sick days. Hell all new part timers already had to work for a year or more to get their sick days and 1 week of vacation.

Braveheart

Do you figure that if you post this in every thread it will give it more credibility?
All new part timers already have to work like 3 to 4 months to get benefits which is what most companies do. To wait 12 months and then 18 months for your spouse and children to get benefits is pathetic and immoral. Is this the union that talks about how every American should have health care. Just not new part timers huh?!? This is just making us even more of an unattractive company to work for! We can not get people to come work part time at UPS anymore. We had like 20 people come to tour the preload in hopes of working part time. Some left during the tour saying $8.50 for manual labor at that pace, NO THANKS! A grand total of 2 out of 20 accepted the job and 1 quit at break. When are we going to remember that part timers are equal to us. They pay taxes, have children, mortgages, health issues, and most work another job in addition to UPS. UNITED WE WIN DIVIDED WE FALL!

filthpig

It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out, not the full timers. They are the ones that negotiated the contract, not the workers. Maybe in the conference you fall under, the wait is two and a half years, but where I am from in CS, the wait is four years.
The progression time in Central States is 30 mos.

Uh... yeah, ok. The point was that just because you post it in 5 different threads doesn't necessarily make it true. Start spreading this crap all over the place when we've seen something official. If it turns out to be true, then fine. I agree there is something to complain about. If it turns out to be false what are the odds that he'll repost the better offer in all the places he dumped this? I'm going with pretty slim...

Braveheart

The progression time in Central States is 30 mos.
I hear the new progression will now be 3 years long. When I started driving it was 2 years and had been that way for a while. Two contracts by Hoffa and 2 increases in the wait for top pay. When we all started it took 5 to 8 years to go from part time to full time. I think that was a long enough progression to me. Then I got promoted and was told 2 more years. Now it will be 3 years. I sure hope they changed the rates to higher figures than the 14.70, 15.75, 16.80, and 18.90 that they have now before topping out. And I sure hope they are more like 16.00, 18.00, 20.00, and 22.00 to offset the extra 6 months tacked on. Remember it used to be start, 30 day raise, 1 year raise, then 18 month raise WHICH WE TRADED AWAY, then top rate at 24 months. Now it will be 36 months. For guys off the street not so bad, but for guys who worked for 3-5 years or more inside it sure does not seem fair.

Last edited:

badpas

I hear the new progression will now be 3 years long. When I started driving it was 2 years and had been that way for a while. Two contracts by Hoffa and 2 increases in the wait for top pay. When we all started it took 5 to 8 years to go from part time to full time. I think that was a long enough progression to me. Then I got promoted and was told 2 more years. Now it will be 3 years. I sure hope they changed the rates to higher figures than the 14.70, 15.75, 16.80, and 18.90 that they have now before topping out. And I sure hope they are more like 16.00, 18.00, 20.00, and 22.00 to offset the extra 6 months tacked on. Remember it used to be start, 30 day raise, 1 year raise, then 18 month raise WHICH WE TRADED AWAY, then top rate at 24 months. Now it will be 36 months. For guys off the street not so bad, but for guys who worked for 3-5 years or more inside it sure does not seem fair.

Its sounds like everyone is stirred up over all the hoop la and for good reason. I hope we are all in agreance with all the info coming in it doesn't sound good. Lets stand together and let our representation know how we feel. If that means they go back to the drawing board then they do just that. This is our contract, if we don't stand and do something we'll be stuck with a contract that not only we don't like but I'll guarentee the people at upsf won't appreciate either.

C

canecorso

Im in Central States, progression was 30 months for me. I've never heard of a 4 year wait to top pay. If I had to wait that long, I would've just bid a 22.3 job. Come to think of it, that probably would've been the smarter move anyway.

At least your maiking more than a 22.3 with almost 10 years senority, I am a year one job, 8-01-1998 for full time I make $21.62 per hour while package, feeder, all other "ful time" make close to 30.00 hr. 22.3's get it coming and going, this new contract more going than anything!!! 10 more years for me max out my 401k Im ****ing gone.....too much stress
I need a xanex,lol:crying:

18wheelbrownie

your right , 3 yrs is too long to wait and when the guy next to you is is busting his butt also but gets more than you and can put up with the nonsense because he is top dollar and you have 3 yrs. to get there! how long will you work before you get tired of it and quit ?

your right , 3 yrs is too long to wait and when the guy next to you is is busting his butt also but gets more than you and can put up with the nonsense because he is top dollar and you have 3 yrs. to get there! how long will you work before you get tired of it and quit ?

Oh please... We've all been through the progression. Quit because the guy next to you is temporarily making more than you? You certainly didn't wait 8 - 10 years as a part timer for a full time position just to turn around and quit once you get it. Even at the starting wage of $16.10, you're looking at just under $40k a year. You're going to have to come up with a stronger argument than that, this one is extremely weak.

18wheelbrownie

Oh please... We've all been through the progression. Quit because the guy next to you is temporarily making more than you? You certainly didn't wait 8 - 10 years as a part timer for a full time position just to turn around and quit once you get it. Even at the starting wage of $16.10, you're looking at just under $40k a year. You're going to have to come up with a stronger argument than that, this one is extremely weak.

your right i waited 1 yr back in 86 to get full wage and 30 working days to make it as fulltime dr.!:thumbup1:
also pkgs were 70 lbs. but lifting heavy pkgs and worrying about next weeks bills and not having enough for grocerys shouldnot bother any new dr. for 3 yrs?:ohmy:

If you can't buy groceries on 40k a year, then you are in serious need of financial guidance. If that is a pay cut or you're afraid of lifting heavy packages, this may not be the job for you.