HATE new route, any options?

bham brown

Yep. Low miles means I'm close to the bldg. Close to the bldg usually means a whole lot more work. I've been there and done that. Don't wanna go back

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Now that's Einstein there sir. Guys close to the center really get their asses handed to them. Don't get me wrong, we all get our asses beat everyday, but the closer you are the more :censored2: whoopins your getting, usually anyway.

bham brown

Trucks seem to get bigger the closer you are to the bldg as well. I don't think I could drive a 12 or 1300 . Those things go out with more boxes in one day than I del in a week.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Me too dude, I feel ya. Id rather have a route where I have more resie stops and miles versus less miles and braking my back with bulk for delivery and pickups. I DONT LOVE THAT BULK lol.

I think we all want more seat and less feet. I say hire the strapping young college kids to do all the bulk for us old(er) SOBs

balland chain

its way harder than it thought it was going to be. more NDAs, lots of heavy pkgs, 4X the amount of pickup stops. much larger area than i had before. very "businessy" feel to it. my other route was much more casual and laid back. tons of driving 45/50 miles + compared to 13-15 before. i dont see how Id be able to set up a routine on this route, it seems like you have to create a new plan everyday or even several times a day.

Man In Brown, i dont know the answer because this is the first time i changed routes

Hello, I may be able to offer some help.. It will require you to be strong and stick to your guns.. DO NOT go out there and bust your butt ever !!!! A guy I use to work with had a run that bumped up to mine..The run I did was always heavy…But this cry baby, who" package car looked half full, you could always walk right thru, the floor was not bulked out, etc…. Well, he would start every day, crying, " I need help, I can't get all these air off in time, as far as ground, he would say, it is too much, I won't make service, etc… It made me sick, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease… Do your job, but if you can not make service on ground or air, tell your sup.. Then you have to do just that.. Not make service.. Do not be dishonest, do not run, do not speed, do every thing by the book, EVERY THING, ! We all know, that if we do our job BY THE BOOK, it takes longer... When you inform a sup you can not make service take a shop steward with you so they can verify it..

I changed runs because I got tired of doing that cry baby's job… So my good old sup, started piling up on my new run.. So, I told him if I had too many air, and since my run was all business, and I needed an empty package car by 3 pm to start pickups, if my load was too much, I would tell him in front of a steward.. Well, after a few days of missed packages, and late air , he made changes…I was honest, I worked by the book THEY WROTE ! Sure, after that, they would follow me and do all they could to catch me doing something wrong.. This was back in 1999, and I am still at UPS, even though that will change next month due to an injury..

Hang in there, people do not like change… It will get better, but if the work load is too much, and you are cutting corners, or skipping lunch STOP IT… work by the book, take your breaks and lunch , don't speed, do no favors ever….NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED !!!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
What attracted you to this new route anyway? You had to know what it was like before your bid. You said you thoroughly investigated it. Sounded like your previous route was something to keep. I know boredom can be cumbersome but there is something to be said about staying in your comfort zone.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Every thing is relevant to where you are,,,we have a few guys in Boston that only do 8 miles a day in 12 hour dispatch !! 70 to 80stops and only delivers to 2 buildings,,,at Christmas we drop a 28 ft pup inside Copley place mall in Boston and a guy and his helper spend 10 hrs just in that mall !!

Hi all, I am not new to brown cafe but i forgot my login info and had to set up a new account.

Ive just started my new route after being on my previous for about 15 years. I did all the research i could and was sure i was making a good move, well, the grass is NOT greener. the office mngr in my ctr said something about having 30 days to change back if my route has not been bid. i believe it was filled by a new (>1yr) driver. do i have any options? what does it say in the contract about this? am I really stuck for 2 yrs?? please... any help is greatly appreciated.

So.......before you put your name on a binding bid you never asked the old route driver, your supervisor, the routes pre-loader,the magic 8 ball, or even looked at the route on delivery records and a map to get an idea of what you were getting into?

If you're only stuck for 2 years consider it a learning lesson. Some places you'd have that route for life like herpes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every thing is relevant to where you are,,,we have a few guys in Boston that only do 8 miles a day in 12 hour dispatch !! 70 to 80stops and only delivers to 2 buildings,,,at Christmas we drop a 28 ft pup inside Copley place mall in Boston and a guy and his helper spend 10 hrs just in that mall !!

My son and I were at Fenway and I was watching that poor driver try to make his way through that area. Another time we were driving around the Beltway (DC) and we saw pkg car after pkg car just sitting in traffic. No thanks!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My son and I were at Fenway and I was watching that poor driver try to make his way through that area. Another time we were driving around the Beltway (DC) and we saw pkg car after pkg car just sitting in traffic. No thanks!

As long as they are paid by the hour, why would they care?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If you are stuck in traffic headed to the area you have a headache. If you are stuck in traffic headed back to the area you have overtime. Cha ching! !

mrbrownstone

I noticed a lot of people mentioned that the routes closest to the building have the most work. I am on a training route that's about 15-20 mins from my center and only drive 50+ miles and have a p1000.

I pick up 24 businesses and deliver to most of the same ones and picked up 565 packages yesterday.

Why is it that the closer routes are the ones with more work though? Is it because they figure you will burn less fuel being closer or something? I am still pretty new but I have enough bulk that it is really hard to be completely done my businesses and resis by 2:45 for pickups.

Today I had about 32 resis left to deliver after my last pickup at 5. Granted I know I will get faster but damn it is tough. My route has a total of roughly 120 stops.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would guess because of the less travel time. Not sure if this is true for everyone but my building is in an industrial area. If all the volume does not fit it is easy to come back to the building and load up again.

JL 0513

Why is it that the closer routes are the ones with more work though?......

Isn't mainly because the further routes have more seat time to and from? Say that is 40 minutes round trip. That could be 35 minutes of stops for the guy right near the center.

That's why it's often more pleasant to be further away. Assuming the routes themselves are in nice areas.