Have a good Labor Day

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by UniteandWin, Sep 3, 2016.

1. UniteandWin

UniteandWin Active Member

A National holiday for you. Don't forget to tell a Sup to thank an old Union Member for the day off

Sent using BrownCafe App

2. wide load

wide load Well-Known Member

You to brother! On Monday, we dine on supervisor meat and drink managers blood!

3. rod

rod retired and happy

Heading to the racetrack----Everyday is a holiday!

4. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Took Friday off. Went to Ct. For a day trip. Today, tried to get my old farm tractor going. Will try again tomorrow. Almost time for dragging out wood

5. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

Have fun at the track

6. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Some people forget that in the old days people worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week. The work environment was very unsafe. There were no child labor laws. There were no benefits such as insurance, vacations etc.

The nasty 'ol unions changed that.

THANKS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

They are running a sort in my building today, Labor Day.
    It was reported that the supervisors were telling these employees that their attendance is mandatory.
    Not sure whether the Local agreed to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
    They already agreed to allow the company to extend the vacation replacement period (aka seasonal) for a week.
    SMH

8. And what did the members get back on return? Any discipline or warning letters dropped?

9. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

image.jpeg

10. Bubblehead

I don't know, perhaps?
    Maybe some future consideration?

Either way, I don't subscribe to the notion of trading favors in regards to contractual issues.

Why should the righteous have to sacrifice for those who have chosen a different path?

It's a slippery slope, and once you get that "horse trader" label as an agent, the company has you in their pocket.

Think about it, every time the company finds themselves behind the 8 ball on a block of grievances, all they have to do is manufacture some discipline for "trade".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. I agree
    I don't like when they make deals either.

12. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

I have a friend who works in feeders who signed up to work today.
    Why? Well he had no plans and he's getting paid $ 100 an hour today.

13. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Where does the contract allow for that provision, in the "vacation replacement" language ?

-Bug-

14. Bubblehead

Where does the contract forbid the Local from entering into these type of "extra contractual agreements"?

I don't think it does, but the Labor Board may have something to say about it?

I see it as unconscionable, considering the company already has carte blanche in regards to off street, non-union drivers for 6 and a half months of the year.

We need to vigilantly protect the remaining 5 and half months.

15. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

It's National Language.

ARTICLE 2. SCOPE OF THE AGREEMENT

Section 2. Riders

"Present Supplements, Riders and Addenda shall remain in effect.

Any new Supplement, Rider or Addendum, or changes to Supplements, Riders or Addenda or in the contract affiliation of any Local Union covered by this Agreement must be submitted to the Joint National Negotiating Committee for review and approval. Failure to be approved by the Committee shall render said Supplement, Rider or Addendum null and void."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

The Central Region language allows for it.... for seasonal's.

The vacation replacement language does not.

Any vacation replacement employee not granted seniority after Labor Day....

should file a grievance. If denied, file Labor Board charges.

-Bug-

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Bam. Now that was free advice. Lol

17. Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Whatbrownwontdoforyou Well-Known Member

Did he send the PayPal payment or was that you doing charity work

18. Bubblehead

After reading it, it appears to be a solid argument, but will the panel see it that way?

I can hear it now, based on the facts presented....

19. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

The mailman is delivering today

20. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

That meme is highly inaccurate in only mentioning radical right wingers as the opposition to unions. Based on the current state of unions in this country I'd say its safe to say that the opposition to unions comes from the entire political spectrum.

By the way.....this rather moderate right winger supports unions wherever they are actually needed. Happy Labor Day!