Have my own route still forced to cover

Method$

Our new center manager has stated several times during PCMs that we can be "asked" to cover routes other than our own as the situation dictates. He has forced several lower seniority bid drivers to jump but has yet to try this with any of the older guys.
They "asked" me many times... I got sick of it after a few months this summer so I began to say "no" when they "asked". They do have the right to "ask" not "force" (in my region anyways).

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I finally got my own route after 8.5 years of cover, but i come in and find that I'm covering a route due to lack of training by the supervisors. DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE ME COVER A ROUTE IF I HAVE MY OWN ROUTE? THANKS

Sent using BrownCafe App

Had this very thing happen to me this past summer. I have been cover since I started 12 years ago. Never had a true bid route of my own though there was a route that I ran when not assigned to a cover position.
This past summer I bid the route that I had wanted for the last 5 years when it finally was put up for bid. There was a new guy that only knew this route so when they worked him I got forced from my route that I had just bid.
It finally grated on my enough that I went to supervisor and had a come to Jesus talk with him.
I told him that he cannot force me from my bid route just because he has a guy that can only do one route. I said you can ASK me if I would like to run a different route but don't do any ASSUMING that I will be willing to come off my bid route.
We have a better understanding now. He will ask if I can help on other routes on certain days and has actively trained this other driver on another route.
Just remind them of the contract and they will have to to the line.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Some people just don't like change. It puts them out of their comfort zone. That would be this guy. From the day I started driving, I had the same area for the 9 years I drove package. It kept shrinking over the years as the volumn increased in it. It ended up being about half it's original size. I liked running the same route because 1. it was the area I grew up in. 2. it got easier every day. In feeders I had my choice of over 130 jobs every bid. I stayed on the same run for 10 years. I guess I am just weird. That's what the wife says anyway.

jled067

Why would anyone want to do the same route day after day after day after day after day after day?
Cover stresses me out too much, its just the not knowing where you go everyday that bothers me. And it seems like all they do is have cover the :censored2: routes and let the casuals get the tit routes. I am bored as a regular route driver but its nice to know every in and out on your own route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

Why would anyone want to do the same route day after day after day after day after day after day?
Some routes have a steady steam of bonus. An hour or more a day can add up. I wish mine had that kind of allowance but it makes up for that in how nice the customers make it.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Only RGs and newer cover guys say that. Having a regular route is just comfortable and easier to make plans around. On my route I know most days I will be done between 6 and 6:30 so it's much easier to make plans and have a life outside of UPS. Being a cover driver then you never know when you are getting done or where you are going. And building customer rapport is a big plus too.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Because my bid route is 99.5% residential with no pickups. I work at my own pace, have friends all over the route, I know which dogs are friendly and which ones to leave alone, and which houses have swimming pools in the back yards (wink, wink).
The stress factor is almost non-existent and I like it like that.

MethodsMan

Cover driving doesn't bother me. Its when I know half the routes in the center and have 30 guys underneath me and they still insist that I go out cold all the time on some fuggin route out in Timbuktu. When you got guys with a little less seniority that know 3 or 4 routes. Bumpity Bump.

BrownArmy

Only RGs and newer cover guys say that. Having a regular route is just comfortable and easier to make plans around. On my route I know most days I will be done between 6 and 6:30 so it's much easier to make plans and have a life outside of UPS. Being a cover driver then you never know when you are getting done or where you are going. And building customer rapport is a big plus too.

Disagree.

I have better 'customer rapport' on most routes that I cover than the bid guy.

If I get put on a route I don't like, I just wait a few days.

Nice for you to be done at 18:30...most bid routes in my center roll in at 19:45 - 20:30.

COVER 4EVA!