Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket while running your route?

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to get pulled over at least twice a week by the State Patrol. He was always looking for new golf clubs or fishing gear and didn't want his wife to find out about it. It was fun watching the expressions on peoples faces as they passed by a UPS truck being pulled over. I could count on hearing "did you get a ticket this morning" a dozen times that day as the rumor spread through out my delivery area. Another State Patrol officer got a kick out of getting on his loud speaker and yelling "get that brown truck out of the middle of the road" if he passed by me while I was double parked in town. I would see him laughing his butt off as he drove by. Pedestrians around me didn't know what to think as I just laughed it off and continued delivering. Both of those officers are retired now and I still stay in touch via email. Knowing everyone (encluding law enforcemet) was one of the advantages of being on the same route for 25 years. Another time I was talking to the Chief of Police of the little town I deliverd to . I was parked in a no parking zone at the school and this guy walks up to us and says "how come he gets to park there and I can't". Without batting an eye the CoP said "UPS has a special permit".

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
3 mph over the speed limit? In my area that constitutes as a warning without any ticket.

Here in Florida nim, cops dont really bother unless your going well over 10 mph on highway or if they have a quota to fill. In rezy its going to have to kept at posted speed levels. People and cops will rat you out faster then you can check your mirrors.

Hills are a different story, because we dont have any and / or much.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I got my drivers license 27 years ago, at the age of 17.

In that entire time, I have had one moving violation. I was 18 and had just bought my first car, a 1977 Plymouth Volare "Roadrunner" coupe with the big 360 cubic inch Mopar V-8. I had a girl in the car with me and I wanted to show off, so I burned some rubber and floored it out on a back road. The cop got me on radar doing 64 in a 55MPH zone, which is pretty tame as speeding tickets go. I think the ticket was about $40 at the time...but since I was still living at home and the car was on my dads insurance, he grounded me from driving for a whole month, and the girl I was so hot for wound up going with another guy while I was stuck at home with no wheels.

I learned my lesson, and in the 26 years that have passed since then I have had zero tickets or traffic accidents, either in my personal car or in a UPS vehicle.

UPSGUY72

In that entire time, I have had one moving violation. I was 18 and had just bought my first car, a 1977 Plymouth Volare "Roadrunner" coupe with the big 360 cubic inch Mopar V-8. I had a girl in the car with me and I wanted to show off, so I burned some rubber and floored it out on a back road. The cop got me on radar doing 64 in a 55MPH zone, which is pretty tame as speeding tickets go. I think the ticket was about $40 at the time...but since I was still living at home and the car was on my dads insurance, he grounded me from driving for a whole month, and the girl I was so hot for wound up going with another guy while I was stuck at home with no wheels.

I learned my lesson, and in the 26 years that have passed since then I have had zero tickets or traffic accidents, either in my personal car or in a UPS vehicle.

What about the girl ?

curiousbrain

Moral of the story: break the law and you won't get laid.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Your record mirrors mine.....license at 16....one moving violation at 16 and the judge told me to write an essay. I went 30 MPH in a school zone (the only school still in session in June)
48 years later and no other tickets.

tarbar66

I used to get pulled over at least twice a week by the State Patrol. He was always looking for new golf clubs or fishing gear and didn't want his wife to find out about it. It was fun watching the expressions on peoples faces as they passed by a UPS truck being pulled over. I could count on hearing "did you get a ticket this morning" a dozen times that day as the rumor spread through out my delivery area. Another State Patrol officer got a kick out of getting on his loud speaker and yelling "get that brown truck out of the middle of the road" if he passed by me while I was double parked in town. I would see him laughing his butt off as he drove by. Pedestrians around me didn't know what to think as I just laughed it off and continued delivering. Both of those officers are retired now and I still stay in touch via email. Knowing everyone (encluding law enforcemet) was one of the advantages of being on the same route for 25 years. Another time I was talking to the Chief of Police of the little town I deliverd to . I was parked in a no parking zone at the school and this guy walks up to us and says "how come he gets to park there and I can't". Without batting an eye the CoP said "UPS has a special permit".

Your experience with the authorities sound like mine. I had a few troopers who would do the same thing, always looking for their parcels. Back then there was no tracking info available.

A couple of times when covering a different route I got pulled over but they would give me a free pass cause they knew I could loose my job. Both times the car I was driving did not have an accurate speedometer.

whiskey

never had a speeding ticket dressed in brown. Most of my time at UPS spent in a p1000. Hard to break the speed limit in one of those.
I have, however, been pulled over several times in my own personal vehicle. Name dropping has saved me every time. I guess I'm just lucky. I have heard stories where dropping a name backfired.

bugsy

How was he going to lose a cop car, when he is in a big brown truck? Something does not seem right

It was in an area with lots of side roads and trees and very hilly terrain. If you make a couple quick turns, there's no way the cop will be able to know which road you took.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If so, how fast were you going...and what happened when your sup found out?

I accidentally hit 53 in a 25 going down a hill. Granted it's a small twisty road with lots of hills, but no one ever uses their brakes while on this road, and I've never seen cops around before. Also he was pointed in the opposite direction on the other side of the road when he caught me on radar, so I made an attempt to quickly turn onto side roads and lose him before he could turn around and catch up to me. But unfortunately, you all know the handling and acceleration of those sexy brown trucks and I was tracked down.

What should I do?

It was in an area with lots of side roads and trees and very hilly terrain. If you make a couple quick turns, there's no way the cop will be able to know which road you took.

You sound like a really smart and skilled driver! I have a guaranteed way to eliminate the risk of EVER getting another ticket while driving a UPS truck. It's only for the really smart drivers. It works EVERY TIME! GUARANTEED!

Here's what you do -

First, don't tell anyone about the ticket or the plan, especially your supervisor or manager. Jealous people and those pesky management people will just try to talk you out of it. Don't listen! It has to be a secret or it won't work.

Take that stupid ticket, tear it up and get rid of it somewhere where it can never be found.

If you get a letter or any correspondence from the police, court or any authorities, don't even open the envelope. Just get rid of them the same way you did the ticket. (Make sure you don't get your fingerprints on the glue inside of the envelope)

Most importantly, don't admit what happened to anyone and definitely don't list the infraction on that stupid form they try to make you sign every year to check your driving record. I think it's called a Motor Vehicle Driver Certification. Its for the DOT they say, but don't trust them! It's a trick to get your personal information.

After you have completed these easy steps, just sit back and wait. You will be guaranteed to never get another ticket while driving a UPS truck!

PS - don't tell anyone! We don't want the less intelligent drivers to ruin it.

John19841

All I will add is that, around here at least, there are numerous areas where the speed limits do not match the flow of traffic. What I'm saying is that there are areas where the speed limit is only 25 or 30, but if you're not going 40, you'll nearly get run off the road. It's just not safe to drive the posted limit. With that said... going 35-45 in a 25 or 30 is understandable, and no matter what any of the "saints" here say, they've all done it...probably more times then they're aware. Going 53 in a 25 however....you're well aware you're speeding.

EmerCond421

25862_1394961678121_1354583666_31060166_1098721_n.jpg
25862_1394961678121_1354583666_31060166_1098721_n.jpg