"have you ever heard of sense of urgency? " - PT supe

NI3

Each and every one of them that I had to deal with uses the phrase "sense of urgency"...

Do PT supes have any function other than to hassle you to go faster which in turn makes him look good on paper?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Let them know that this job is a marathon and not a sprint. The pace is what the pace is! Your focus should be on safety rather than production.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Each and every one of them that I had to deal with uses the phrase "sense of urgency"...

Do PT supes have any function other than to hassle you to go faster which in turn makes him look good on paper?

They have other "functions" but you got the main thing identified.

It's a race every night to get it all processed and meet the pull times.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Each and every one of them that I had to deal with uses the phrase "sense of urgency"... Do PT supes have any function other than to hassle you to go faster which in turn makes him look good on paper?
Once you pull out a contract book and ask them to show you where the load rate/sort rate/delivery numbers/etc. are, they tend to leave you alone. We're only responsible for a fair day's work for a fair day's pay - we have folks in their early 20's that can haul ass and folks in their late 40's/early 50's that can't quite work like they did 10 years ago. If they really grind on you, smack them down with paper work.

packageguy

Once you pull out a contract book and ask them to show you where the load rate/sort rate/delivery numbers/etc. are, they tend to leave you alone. We're only responsible for a fair day's work for a fair day's pay - we have folks in their early 20's that can haul ass and folks in their late 40's/early 50's that can't quite work like they did 10 years ago. If they really grind on you, smack them down with paper work.

I agree with you perfectly said. Those part time supervisors hear the word grievence the ****** a pill.

curiousbrain

I agree with you perfectly said. Those part time supervisors hear the word grievence the ****** a pill.

If you are to mince words: "The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest."

That is pretty vague - for both hourly and management.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, ask them about "sense of urgency" when your check is wrong. Suddenly, they don't remember what it means...

NI3

If drivers wonder why the load is sloppy...
these are the directions:
"oh they just need to be like 4' from where they're supposed to be".
"just get it loaded, its ok if if its not neat"

My expectations per the book, but not necessarily by demonstration or verbal order...

Walk, never run.
Establish a
Stay off rollers, chutes and conveyors
Look before stepping. Watch out for those smalls, crayons, etc. each and every time
Make adjustments for changing conditions.

Get close, work within power zone, don't reach out.
Small looking things can be heavy.
Position feet
Lift with knees, always
PPH expectations... watts dat?
Test for weight/shifting contents, every time
Grab opposite corners
Don't jerk, lift/lower slowly
Use existing equipment to help with lifting/lowering

Packages are to be lifted, then lowered onto the surface and not to tossed ever...

To do as demonstrated means
Packages are to be chucked if they're light....
Optimal carry emphasizes production over safety...

PT's: mission:
to push for highest PPH so long as they go in the right truck. Them driver requests and such be darned.

meanwhile their bosses request are more reasonable...
safety... and service to driver.

NI3

They have other "functions" but you got the main thing identified.

It's a race every night to get it all processed and meet the pull times.

Maybe if they didn't pack trucks so full that cramming every nook and cranny wasn't required.