Have you ever lost your route?

Overpaid Union Thug

He's right. A 35 year employee can't bumb a 2 year cover driver off of his bid route for the week.
Not in our supplement. Bids don't supersede seniority. Seniority rules. When all things are equal the bid driver keeps the bid but when a senior driver is laid off or their route is cut they can bump the junior driver off their bid route. Being a big driver doesn't protect them from that. As it shouldn't.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not in our supplement. Bids don't supersede seniority. Seniority rules. When all things are equal the bid driver keeps the bid but when a senior driver is laid off or their route is cut they can bump the junior driver off their bid route. Being a big driver doesn't protect them from that. As it shouldn't.
Yes you can bump a driver with a bid route.

You cannot bump a cover driver that has bid a route for the week.

Here's the difference in some supplements I believe. We have X drivers you win a bid to become one. You give up your right to a 4th move give away but you cannot be bumped off the coverage you bid. A guy can be out 2 years for injury and no one can bump you off that route for any reason.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yes you can bump a driver with a bid route.

You cannot bump a cover driver that has bid a route for the week.

Here's the difference in some supplements I believe. We have X drivers you win a bid to become one. You give up your right to a 4th move give away but you cannot be bumped off the coverage you bid. A guy can be out 2 years for injury and no one can bump you off that route for any reason.

Here is ours laid off procedure.....

"(B) In the event of layoff of any full-time employee, the affected employee gas the right to exercise his/her seniority in the following manner:

1. Must displace the junior employee within their regular classification.

2. Any other junior full-time employee in another classification or part-time work."

Currently a bid driver that has their route cut would have to bump the lowest senior driver and that would likely be the worst route in the center for that day. I've never seen that happen in my center though because on the rare occasion a bid route has been cut the driver just takes the day off. And it's never been more than one bid route. And when that route was cut we had a slew of people just take the day off and all of us unassigned drivers filled in their routes. I believe its done this way because it's a pain in the ass for management to force actual layoffs in a center that only has a reload and preload. It would he a logistical nightmare manning wise when people demand their 8 hours.

The new language that forces the company to bid all routes could change things though. There will always be bid drivers that have their route cut because (for some reason) there are more than a few routes that are only in the lineup a few days a week being bid. And (for some reason) some drivers that aren't exactly near the bottom of the seniority list bid those routes. Several days a week we will a have a mix of mid senior/low senior bid drivers with their routes cut. Plus, a handful of unassigned drivers. A couple of which are pretty high on the seniority list.

I'm guessing that the current way of doing things (management goes down the seniority list asking for people to take the day off) will continue but those that ended up with a bid route that was unassigned before (which will be me) will just stay on their routes. The nightmare scenario and confusion will be when everyone wants their 8 hours. I have never see that happen.

Indecisi0n

Here is the problem....many of the routes that are being bid this time aren't in the lineup but two or three days per week. A couple less than that. So, every week we will end up with a slew of "bid drivers" with cut routes several (or more) days per week. Not to mention the unassigned drivers. Our center has never had a problem with finding people to go home on days we are overstaffed but let's look at the worst case scenario.....what happens if none wants to go home and we end up with a slew of drivers standing in front of the manning board because their routes were cut?

This topic was brought up yesterday and the OP's BA confirmed (what I was thinking) that being a bid driver doesn't supersede seniority. The Southern says we can bump the junior employee (or bump inside) so it seems like the slew of laid off bid drivers I mentioned would be able to bump less senior bid drivers off their routes on those days and the rest would either have to do something else to get their 8 hours or take the day off.
If everyone stayed they wouldn't cut the routes in the first place. It's funny when I am over and demand my 8. They tell me they don't have any work for me which I sit then sit in a chair and say "that's fine you can just pay me 8 hours to sit here". I normally end up picking up trash in the parking lot. LOL

Overpaid Union Thug

If everyone stayed they wouldn't cut the routes in the first place. It's funny when I am over and demand my 8. They tell me they don't have any work for me which I sit then sit in a chair and say "that's fine you can just pay me 8 hours to sit here". I normally end up picking up trash in the parking lot. LOL

They will still cut the routes to meet their stops per car nonsense. They'd rather pay people to pick up trash, run air, or whatever, than endure a scolding conference call and hateful email for going over stops per car.

bashmore52

Cut my route once. They asked if I wanted to go home. Said no, I'll do any route. 2 hrs over, never cut my route again.

This happened last week to me. Put me in a route I didn't know. Still cutting my route next week.

Still baffles me that they cut the heaviest route in our center in Mondays. I guess it must be easier to re dispatch 180 stops than 110.

My route has been getting cut since last May. Not once have I been offered the day off. LOL.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not all supplements are guaranteed 8 hours a day though. Here it's something like the top 90% that work Monday are guaranteed 40 hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here we have full-time unassigned drivers that fill in for whoever is off and to cover split routes and unassigned/training routes. And also Part-time TCDs (Temp Cover Drivers). The part-timers don't work much lately. The split routes and unassigned routes are being bid right now. I actually took one. I dread Mondays because that is when my route is sometimes cut.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Here is the problem....many of the routes that are being bid this time aren't in the lineup but two or three days per week. A couple less than that. So, every week we will end up with a slew of "bid drivers" with cut routes several (or more) days per week. Not to mention the unassigned drivers. Our center has never had a problem with finding people to go home on days we are overstaffed but let's look at the worst case scenario.....what happens if none wants to go home and we end up with a slew of drivers standing in front of the manning board because their routes were cut?

This topic was brought up yesterday and the OP's BA confirmed (what I was thinking) that being a bid driver doesn't supersede seniority. The Southern says we can bump the junior employee (or bump inside) so it seems like the slew of laid off bid drivers I mentioned would be able to bump less senior bid drivers off their routes on those days and the rest would either have to do something else to get their 8 hours or take the day off.
I can confirm with Matt H , 728 BA that if your route is a training route and is cut, you become an unassigned driver. Being an unassigned driver, you can only bump other non bid drivers (up to your seniority ) to select the route you'd like to run. I asked this question directly to him to confirm what I thought was the case. He made an example if bid didn't matter then no one would have bid routes as seniority would prevail always for route selection.

I can also confirm if your route is cut, it doesn't give you the right to not work, only the right to select your route among non bid employees for that day. The question was posed as we have employees who only want to work 2 days a week and wanted to bid the highest cut route for the week to guarantee themselves to go home.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

I can confirm with Matt H , 728 BA that if your route is a training route and is cut, you become an unassigned driver. Being an unassigned driver, you can only bump other non bid drivers (up to your seniority ) to select the route you'd like to run. I asked this question directly to him to confirm what I thought was the case. He made an example if bid didn't matter then no one would have bid routes as seniority would prevail always for route selection.

I can also confirm if your route is cut, it doesn't give you the right to not work, only the right to select your route among non bid employees for that day. The question was posed as we have employees who only want to work 2 days a week and wanted to bid the highest cut route for the week to guarantee themselves to go home.

If there are no other non bid drivers to bump then our supplement's language (which I showed a few posts back) kicks in. Being a bid driver only protects the bid driver from being bumped in the event that there are other routes available for a more senior unassigned driver, or more senior bid driver who's route was cut, to run. If there isn't then that is where seniority rules and the bid drivers can be bumped by someone that has more seniority.

Concerning the drivers that bid the routes that get cut thinking they can go home......the word around the barn was that was the way our local (or maybe only our center?) was going to handle cut routes. They were supposedly going to have first option of going home regardless of seniority. Well, some of the drivers on the routes that are never cut didn't like the sound of that and are planing on filing on seniority violation if that happens. As they should because seniority rules. Either way it drives me nuts when someone who works as little as possible takes ANY bid when there are others that want to work everyday that could have taken the bid. What a waste. Kind of like when someone bids a 22.3 but only works half their shift.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If there are no other non bid drivers to bump then our supplement's language (which I showed a few posts back) kicks in. Being a bid driver only protects the bid driver from being bumped in the event that there are other routes available for a more senior unassigned driver, or more senior bid driver who's route was cut, to run. If there isn't then that is where seniority rules and the bid drivers can be bumped by someone that has more seniority.

Concerning the drivers that bid the routes that get cut thinking they can go home......the word around the barn was that was the way our local (or maybe only our center?) was going to handle cut routes. They were supposedly going to have first option of going home regardless of seniority. Well, some of the drivers on the routes that are never cut didn't like the sound of that and are planing on filing on seniority violation if that happens. As they should because seniority rules. Either way it drives me nuts when someone who works as little as possible takes ANY bid when there are others that want to work everyday that could have taken the bid. What a waste. Kind of like when someone bids a 22.3 but only works half their shift.
As for your first point, having no other non bid drivers to bump would be highly unlikely as the lowest seniority people are the non bid drivers ( at least in our center). When the dust settles the lowest non bid driver can't bump anyone, and is laid off. Now to get to the point would mean every driver is demanding to work and willing to run routes blind in most cases. In reality we both know this won't happen.

As for your second point, I'm in 100% agreement with you. Case in point, I'll be filing on behalf of the lower non bid drivers if any bid driver switches routes and lets any other bid driver run that route. We've had a problem in the past of high bid drivers holding unassigned routes for ( problem drivers) so management can leave them on it and circumvent the seniority system. I've been very vocal to all drivers if they do this I will file to have their route rebid and they'll be forced to swing. Any driver that is on a cut route, like all FT employees are required to report to work. Days off are given in seniority, even if your route is cut.

Overpaid Union Thug

As for your first point, having no other non bid drivers to bump would be highly unlikely as the lowest seniority people are the non bid drivers ( at least in our center). When the dust settles the lowest non bid driver can't bump anyone, and is laid off. Now to get to the point would mean every driver is demanding to work and willing to run routes blind in most cases. In reality we both know this won't happen.

Should be interesting. My route is cut allot on Mondays. There are a couple of drivers with more seniority than me that bid the routes that are only in a couple of days a week.

bashmore52

Overpaid Union thug. If you don't mind me asking, how much seniority do you have? What are your options and what do you do on the Mondays they cut your route?

Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union thug. If you don't mind me asking, how much seniority do you have? What are your options and what do you do on the Mondays they cut your route?

I'm in the middle third of the full-time seniority list. I haven't started my bid route yet. Assuming those of us that already know the routes we bid on can start as soon as bidding is completed I'm guessing I will start later this week or early the next week. As far as Mondays goes....all I know is that the contract says we can bump other full-timers in our classification when laid off (route cut) and that there is nothing said about that not applying to bumping less senior bid drivers if there are no other routes available to run. That should rarely happen though. If ever. Until then all of us that get our routes cut on Mondays will just fill in for bid drivers that take the day off or are on vacation. There is no language in our supplement that specifies that unassigned drivers and drivers on cut bid routes have to chose certain routes or bid them weekly. It's always been day by day here. So, on Mondays anyone that has their cut route will be placed back into the unassigned pool based on seniority just like we are now.