havent made probation yet but have been offered to go supervisor twice already

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I am currently just an unloader. I can unload a long trailer in a little under an hour. I have made it well known I ultimately want to go driver. My supervisor and the hub manager have offered a part time sup position to me. They trained me on spa already as well. They said if I want to go driving, its the fastest and easiest way to go full-time driver. And at my hub people working under a year have gotten driving positions. I guess I am just seeking any (helpful) advice which direction I should go. Thanks yall

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am currently just an unloader. I can unload a long trailer in a little under an hour. I have made it well known I ultimately want to go driver. My supervisor and the hub manager have offered a part time sup position to me. They trained me on spa already as well. They said if I want to go driving, its the fastest and easiest way to go full-time driver. And at my hub people working under a year have gotten driving positions. I guess I am just seeking any (helpful) advice which direction I should go. Thanks yall
wow, driving in under a year?? You should talk to brownbaggin....he can give you a lot of insight on being a pt sup.

J

jibbs

From what I understand, driving for UPS is a unionized position. Part-time supervisors withdraw from the union if "promoted" to a supervisory role. As such, part-time supervisors would not be eligible for bidding on driving positions and the only realistic route they would have to becoming a UPS driver would be as an outside hire.

That's just my understanding, though, I could be back assward with those thoughts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your ultimate goal is to be a driver you do no want to go the PT sup route. As was stated above you would have to be the outside hire, which today is really rolling the dice. Stay where you are and your goal will become reality in due time.

quamba 638

From what I understand, driving for UPS is a unionized position. Part-time supervisors withdraw from the union if "promoted" to a supervisory role. As such, part-time supervisors would not be eligible for bidding on driving positions and the only realistic route they would have to becoming a UPS driver would be as an outside hire.

That's just my understanding, though, I could be back assward with those thoughts.

Im pretty sure you're correct on this. I thought it was a 6:1 hiring ratio of inside (union) vs outside (non union) for bids. So if you become a PT supervisor your chances of becoming a driver go out the window.
Hang in there.

Tough Guy

I was in the same situation (more or less). I talked to a few sups who were basically told the same thing, and 8 years later they're still stuck at pt sup. lol.

S

serenity now

to the OP: Read the title of your thread out loud and then ask yourself , " Why would they do that? "

The answer should be obvious.

SMDH,

never take a supervisor's role If a person wants to be a driver. Supervisors are non-union, so let's say a part time sup was to try out for package car, than by chance get disqualified from something, that person would be out of a job, because of non-union, That person CAN NOT COME BACK INSIDE THE HUB.........that's what ive been told.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

SMDH,

never take a supervisor's role If a person wants to be a driver. Supervisors are non-union, so let's say a part time sup was to try out for package car, than by chance get disqualified from something, that person would be out of a job, because of non-union, That person CAN NOT COME BACK INSIDE THE HUB.........that's what ive been told.

This is correct---if a PT sup gets selected as the outside hire and does not qualify they are basically out of a job.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that this isn't a trolling post and respond to it. The ONLY way you can go driver from part time sup is if you accept a full time sup position. In order to become a full time sup you're required to drive for a while. Once you've qualified for 30 working days as a sup you actually can then say never mind I want to stay driving which completely pisses them off but they can't stop you. Aside from that PT sup is a dead end unless you're willing to kiss a LOT of ass and wait a long time in a PT role waiting for a FT sup job.

UPSGUY72

less than 30 day working for UPS and they are offering you a PT SUP job ? You don't see a problem with that.

Also if it was the faster way to a FT drivers position don't you think everyone would be fighting for the job ???? PT SUP are considered outside hires for purpose of becoming a driver. With that being said the hiring ratio of inside (union employees) to outside (non union employees) is 6 to 1. That one spot usually goes to a casual driver and sometimes a PT SUP.

p228

SMDH,

They've eased that restriction within the past few years. In fact, I know of a sup that was dq'd from driving then promoted to FT sup a week later.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They've eased that restriction within the past few years. In fact, I know of a sup that was dq'd from driving then promoted to FT sup a week later.

LMAO, he proved he couldn't do our job day in/day out, so he then gets to oversee us and tell us that we need to do better and we're all worthless. Makes sense to me

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I spent 35 years in management.
If these people are telling you to go into P/T management to become a driver, do not trust them.
​If your goal is a driver position, stay hourly.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that this isn't a trolling post and respond to it. The ONLY way you can go driver from part time sup is if you accept a full time sup position. In order to become a full time sup you're required to drive for a while. Once you've qualified for 30 working days as a sup you actually can then say never mind I want to stay driving which completely pisses them off but they can't stop you. Aside from that PT sup is a dead end unless you're willing to kiss a LOT of ass and wait a long time in a PT role waiting for a FT sup job.

Probation is actually 70 working days at my hub. Either way I appreciate the insight and I think I'll stick to losing weight in the trailers and wait for that bid.