Hawaii California

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Supposed to hit the So Cal shore near us in the next 10 minutes or so. There is a tsumani advisory of 1 - 3 ft. swells. It's low tide right now so we aren't anticipating anything dramatic.

over9five

Staff member
Supposed to hit the So Cal shore near us in the next 10 minutes or so. There is a tsumani advisory of 1 - 3 ft. swells. It's low tide right now so we aren't anticipating anything dramatic.

Plenty of surfers out there waiting I bet.

rod

Retired 22 years

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that just another day at the beach along the west coast? Why even bother with all the hoopla?

moreluck

golden ticket member
if it was 1-3' it's not the same as a wave. It's 3 ft. of water that keeps coming on shore and doesn't stop. It turned out to be a non-event, but it's much different from a wave.

TheDick

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that just another day at the beach along the west coast? Why even bother with all the hoopla?

I tend to agree with you rod but today i think its the momentum associated with the "tide" since its gonna hit SF BayArea when its low tide well that helps with damage to whatever aint anchored well.
Japan will be in my prayers.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Northern CA wasn't as lucky as we were.

Tsunami damages NorCal harbors, one man missing - SF Gate

More than 5,000 miles from where it killed hundreds of people in Japan, a tsunami swept ashore today in Northern California, destroying harbors from Santa Cruz to the Oregon border and killing one man who was washed out to sea.

The West Coast damage could have been worse because the tsunami hit during low tide, but that is small consolation to sailors and business owners now facing millions of dollars in damage to docks and boats.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Northern CA wasn't as lucky as we were.

Tsunami damages NorCal harbors, one man missing - SF Gate

More than 5,000 miles from where it killed hundreds of people in Japan, a tsunami swept ashore today in Northern California, destroying harbors from Santa Cruz to the Oregon border and killing one man who was washed out to sea.

The West Coast damage could have been worse because the tsunami hit during low tide, but that is small consolation to sailors and business owners now facing millions of dollars in damage to docks and boats.

It's a sad thing when people are killed by a sudden event. How does someone get killed by something when he had several hours notice. Tsunami=Water. Stay away from water. It's like getting hit by a train walking on the tracks. He had to have heard it was coming.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He was taking photos............
Am I the only one worried about the Nuclear reactors?

I see someone else couldn't sleep this morning...

I am hopeful that the Japanese will be able to contain the damaged reactors--if not, the disaster on land will pale in comparison to the potential damage from the leaked radiation.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's a sad thing when people are killed by a sudden event. How does someone get killed by something when he had several hours notice. Tsunami=Water. Stay away from water. It's like getting hit by a train walking on the tracks. He had to have heard it was coming.

CA. is notorious for "looky-loos" and also dummies. I see it everyday and they let them reproduce and vote......except for the guy that got killed. There's enough stuff that can kill you that you don't need to always be putting yourself in harm's way.....kind of my motto.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was stationed in Texas there was a tornado warning for the local area. After putting my two young children in a center hallway under a mattress, I ran outside with a camera and was able to get pictures of not one but two tornados coming down and then going back up in to the clouds. They were within 5 miles of base housing so there was no immediate danger.

Natural disasters bring out sightseers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I was stationed in Texas there was a tornado warning for the local area. After putting my two young children in a center hallway under a mattress, I ran outside with a camera and was able to get pictures of not one but two tornados coming down and then going back up in to the clouds. They were within 5 miles of base housing so there was no immediate danger.

Natural disasters bring out sightseers.

I agree but if I hear a deadly wave is coming I'm not going to the beach.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree but if I hear a deadly wave is coming I'm not going to the beach.

From what Cheryl posted earlier the warnings were for 1-3' waves, which is not that dramatic. We get biggers waves than that from the Atlantic during hurricanes.

As Over said, they line up on the beach with surfboards under their arms.

moreluck

golden ticket member
People with common sense hear "tsunami warning" and they go to high ground away from the water. There's just no explaining the other people.......

moreluck

golden ticket member
From what Cheryl posted earlier the warnings were for 1-3' waves, which is not that dramatic. We get biggers waves than that from the Atlantic during hurricanes.

As Over said, they line up on the beach with surfboards under their arms.

Not 1-3 ft waves.....1-3 ft surge....,,,,big difference