Hazmat question?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I loaded about 5 hazmats today, all the same stop and material. I only pulled one copy of the hazmat slip and placed it in the pouch. I was told before ( by a soup years ago ) that if it was the same material I can put one slip in the pouch. Until today, a guy walks into my car, never seen him before. He said I needed to pull a copy of each one, for each hazmat ( even if they are all the same ).

This is the first time I ever heard of this, is it new? Or is always been that way? The shop steward I was talking to, didnt even know. Nor did the soup on my side know that.

I feel as if this is just another handmedown from the top, or am I wrong?

If I do get writen up I will file, because I had no idea, nor does the safety test say anything about pulling each hazmats slip, clearly doesnt specify on the matter. As in if it were or were not the same type of material. It really doesnt go into much detail about it.

Bah, this company has too much time on their hands. :angry:

brownedout

The number of packages and the number of slips from the DOT 5 part form must be equal. 5 packages, 5 forms, no matter if the contents are same. This is a DOT mandate.

brownedout

Loader has not been my bid job in 19 years, and I have not even loaded a truck, for a whole night, in close to 8 years. This is just the way I understood the proper loading of hazmats was to happen, and reason.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As I said, I was only given the reason as the op. I'm confused about this, I probably will be writen up for it. I didnt mean it, nor did I know. Nor have I been told this by anyone until now. After the fact I pulled four more and placed them.

Hey, if they want it they get it, from now on.

PACNW

Loader has not been my bid job in 19 years, and I have not even loaded a truck, for a whole night, in close to 8 years. This is just the way I understood the proper loading of hazmats was to happen, and reason.

I have always understood it to be this way as well.

brownedout

As I said, I was only given the reason as the op. I'm confused about this, I probably will be writen up for it. I didnt mean it, nor did I know. Nor have I been told this by anyone until now. After the fact I pulled four more and placed them.

Hey, if they want it they get it, from now on.
I don't see how you can/will possibly get written up (warning letter?). Since the truck hadn't left the building, you didn't commit any offense. The good thing that happened here is now you know, and corrected it.

DorkHead

The number of tags must equal the pkgs. If a driver was in a accident and the FD finds one tag in the cab, but more than 1 haz pkg in the cargo area, the driver is in big trouble. The FD must know what Haz is on this PC.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Think of this example: A shipment of 5 (five) individually packaged cans of paint, a Class 3 flammable liquid, each can has 30 lbs of paint in it.

If you only put 1 (one) shipping paper in the pouch in the cab, the driver (or any emergency responders) would think there is only 30 lbs of Class 3 on board.

If you put 5 (five) shipping papers (one from each package) in the pouch, the driver (or emergency responders) would know there is 5 x 30 lbs = 150 lbs of Class 3 on board.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Furthermore, if the driver gets pulled over at a DOT checkpoint and the vehicle is inspected the number of hazmat tags and packages had better be the same or the company will be cited.

It has to be 1 ticket for each and every hazmat package in the vehicle. Also you are not to load any package that is missing all the tickets. Set it aside and the sup or psc needs to put a new tag just below the old one. No exceptions. It doesn`t matter how soon the car is going to roll. It has to have a ticket or it stays behind. As everyone above has said, the DOT as well as local authorities do not look kindly on this.