Hazmat test? on or off clock....

rocket man

I usually show up for my shift about 20 minutes early so I can shoot the breeze and have a smoke before start time. Our safety sup cam out to the break area with a hazmat test and said, here...do this. I told him I wasn't on the clock and I am not taking any safety test off the clock. He said just fill out your name and sign..I will do the test for you. Opinions?
integrity comes to mind

Integrity

Binge Poster
Don't sign it because you will eventually have to do it legit anyway. Your doing the sup a favor. The Sup clearly forgot that you needed to be certified on some obscure exam and trying to be efficient m asked you do it when he spotted you. Its is an integrity issue. However another viewpoint is simply the sup has employees whom refuse to answer safety questions in a correct manner, so he has been accustomed to doing it the wrong way. In my hub the hourlies, despise UPS safety management so much that they answer the questions in a manner that makes fun of UPS. They know the contract requires them to answer but nothing about what is actually is being said. Some employees only care about safety as it relate to how much time they can extent themselves on the clock- they point every safety problem in this instance...This often leads faking paperwork too
btrlov,

Inability to properly manage employees or hold them accountable is not an excuse for falsifying documents.

I understand the lack of morale and morals in a lot of UPS employees in regards to safety.

This is a management problem and management must fix it. Not fake it.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
btrlov,

Inability to properly manage employees or hold them accountable is not an excuse for falsifying documents.

I understand the lack of morale and morals in a lot of UPS employees in regards to safety.

This is a management problem and management must fix it. Not fake it.

Sincerely,
I

Why is this "a management problem and management must fix it"?
What is in for management to fix?
How do you fix other people?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Why is this "a management problem and management must fix it"?
What is in for management to fix?
How do you fix other people?
Hoaxster,

Employees should be expected to do their jobs.

It is a management responsibility to see that this happens.

Personal honor, self respect is in it for management who hold people accountable, "with Integrity" of course.

Progressive discipline up to and including termination, when there is absolutely no other choice.

Done with Integrity of course.

Sincerely,
I

I usually show up for my shift about 20 minutes early so I can shoot the breeze and have a smoke before start time. Our safety sup cam out to the break area with a hazmat test and said, here...do this. I told him I wasn't on the clock and I am not taking any safety test off the clock. He said just fill out your name and sign..I will do the test for you. Opinions?
On

JonFrum

How sure are you about this? Source of info?

If you're right someone owes me some money.
ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. . . . The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS
Section 21. Hazardous Materials Handling Program
The Employer and the Union in compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) have developed a comprehensive program to deal with hazardous material spills, the UPS Damaged Package Response procedure. As a result of the Agreement, the Employer developed a training program for individuals who are responsible for responding to spills of hazardous materials.

The Employer agrees to:
1. Provide twelve (12) hours of training, and the proper equipment, to those employees involved in the clean-up of hazardous material spills. All designated responders, when positions become open, will be selected in seniority order. The Employer will allow first responders to resign their position with written notice given at least sixty (60) days prior to their annual certification. The resignation will become effective upon completion of training of a replacement. The Employer may disqualify such employees from holding the position of designated responder for a period of one (1) year.

2. Provide one (1) hour of awareness training to every employee who handles packages potentially containing hazardous materials.

3. Conduct training for new employees during orientations and for current employees during normal working hours, with all employees compensated at the appropriate rate of pay.

4. Provide the necessary medical examination for designated first responders at no cost to the employee.

5. Provide annual refresher training to all employees.

6. Comply with all applicable state and federal OSHA regulations regarding hazardous materials.

7. Identify, process and store all hazardous type waste, resulting from spilled or leaking packages, in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Processing of hazardous material spills will be initiated and completed as soon as practicable, but in all events prior to the hazmat responder being assigned to other nonhazmat duties or completing his/her shift. The Employer designated processing area will be properly ventilated.

8. Conduct emergency evacuation drills on an annual basis.

9. The Employer will hold meetings, with the designated responders, on a scheduled basis, and when necessary will hold special meetings, to discuss and resolve problems or concerns related to hazardous material handling, clean-up and storage of hazardous materials. The Employer agrees to resolve any problems or concerns as expeditiously as possible.
[etc.]

- - - -
The original source is the Corporate-wide Settlement Agreement (CSA) that UPS signed with the Department of Labor to stop OSHA's citations and fines.

Kis124

JonFrum...I am not a responder...It was a yearly test for package handlers. I'm just getting tired of all the short cuts. If they were really concerned about us knowing how to handle leaking packages, I wouldn't have had to stay at my bay with a box of clorox that burst open, wouldn't have gotten light headed between that and the heat, and maybe not fallen and almost break my arm...seems the only time they review this stuff is when we are going to be audited

If they were really concerned about us knowing how to handle leaking packages, I wouldn't have had to stay at my bay with a box of clorox that burst open, wouldn't have gotten light headed between that and the heat, and maybe not fallen and almost break my arm...seems the only time they review this stuff is when we are going to be audited

Had to? There is no such thing as HAD to in that case. That was on you. Under NO circumstances do you stay in area if there is a leaking package. Until it is comfirmed to be non-hazardous by a proper responder you leave. Even normal daily use chemicals can affect people differently. If thats you, you leave. Catch my drift on this? I don't care if the CEO of UPS is there, you leave the area until proven safe to return.

W

want to retire

Better have your ducks in a row...........if all of this is true................ask to see the training roster............then 1-800 and complain loudly until this guy if fired......

nicky

First off someone on here has given out the best advice anyone will ever give when it comes to dealing with UPS. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING, I wont even write my name on anything. Every paper goes to a steward as blank as when it was handed to me, and is RTS'd. I recently had a run in and after refusing to sign the on road said "you sign your paychecks dont you" to which I said nope they are direct deposited. It covers you, this company tries to create agreements outside of the contract, which is of course in direct violation. They create new policies, new directives, and what we have come to call the flaor of the month. Almost all of which are usually in violation of the contract. Back on topic the OP just put himself in a position to get fired. He signed off on something that he did not do. Thats falsifying documentation and that is a cardinal sin. Will it come to that probably not.

Kis124

First off someone on here has given out the best advice anyone will ever give when it comes to dealing with UPS. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING, I wont even write my name on anything. Every paper goes to a steward as blank as when it was handed to me, and is RTS'd. I recently had a run in and after refusing to sign the on road said "you sign your paychecks dont you" to which I said nope they are direct deposited. It covers you, this company tries to create agreements outside of the contract, which is of course in direct violation. They create new policies, new directives, and what we have come to call the flaor of the month. Almost all of which are usually in violation of the contract. Back on topic the OP just put himself in a position to get fired. He signed off on something that he did not do. Thats falsifying documentation and that is a cardinal sin. Will it come to that probably not.

I did fill out the part I had to hand write tho. (not a he btw). I am getting paid an hour for the test, and it had been brought to the pre-load managers attention that we are not given the proper tests. The part time safety sup has been walking on thin ice for years now, I have been there for almost 5 years. only once have I been told to come in early for any kind of re-training/testing

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
For the love of Mary, how many times do I have to say this? You sign your paycheck and the DVIR. Nothing else! Take notes, people.

not entirely true. You must sign any DOT requirements. Your DOT card, haz-mat training is also on that list. However do not ever sign something you did not complete yourself.