HDMI

DS

Fenderbender
Has anyone taken advantage of the hdmi input that goes from the TV to the cable box instead ot the 3 colored cables ? I was reading that it improves hd quality and sound for TV...sports and hd programs .It costs about $15 for the cable. Its not condoned by our cable supplier.

rod

Retired 22 years
Has anyone taken advantage of the hdmi input that goes from the TV to the cable box instead ot the 3 colored cables ? I was reading that it improves hd quality and sound for TV...sports and hd programs .It costs about $15 for the cable. Its not condoned by our cable supplier.

I believe that is how my tv is hooked up. I have the son-in-law do all that stuff. His motto is "only the best when it comes to electronics". I lost track of tech stuff somewhere between 8 track tapes and beta video players.:peaceful: Anyway it works good.

drewed

Shankman
I think the flat screen setup we have is hdmi not the rca cables (the 3 colored ones) I must say football looks orgasmic in HD idk if its anybetter with hdmi over rca id imagine so since its going digital to digital not digital to analog back to digital

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, you definitely want to go with HDMI. HDMI is to video what Monster was to audio. If the cable company didn't want you to use it they wouldn't provide a slot on their box. I have a Blu-Ray DVD player and I use HDMI between my HDTV, HD Cable and Blu-Ray.

$15 sounds cheap. You don't want to skimp here.

The three colored cables are called component video which provide a better picture than the standard video/left/right audio cables. The problem is that you`ll still need to run audio cables also. HDMI does it all in one cable. You don`t have to spend bigs dollars on "Monster" cables. this link has info on how all cables are much closer in performance the stores lead you to believe.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ds i have hdmi cables running from my satellite, playstation3, and dvd, the picture is unbelievable, i have a 52 inch Sony bravia mounted on my wall. I needed 12 ft cables and each one ran me $95 a piece, but money well spent.

drewed

Shankman
Ds i have hdmi cables running from my satellite, playstation3, and dvd, the picture is unbelievable, i have a 52 inch Sony bravia mounted on my wall. I needed 12 ft cables and each one ran me $95 a piece, but money well spent.
Wow thats a lot of cabling, why did you need 12 ft?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Monster cables are a monster ripoff, be it video, audio, or whatever.They are so overpriced it's crazy. They are handsdown the biggest scam going in the audio industry. Monster cables vs coat hangers: click

A couple good places to pickup video/audio cables for a decent price are
CablesForLess and monoprice.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

Why ps3 AND dvd, my understanding is ps3 is the best blu ray available, plus huge hard drive to record movies.

drewed

Shankman
Dvd players do go bad and id rather have my 50 dollar (or whatver) dvd player over my 600 dollar ps3 and reserve that for blue ray..

you probably dont need the 90 dollar cords but dont by the cheapy ones either the cheap ones can corrode ruining your picture and possibly messing up your equipment

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dvd players do go bad and id rather have my 50 dollar (or whatver) dvd player over my 600 dollar ps3 and reserve that for blue ray..

you probably dont need the 90 dollar cords but dont by the cheapy ones either the cheap ones can corrode ruining your picture and possibly messing up your equipment
Did you just make that up or have you actually read it somewhere?

I would like to see more info on that also. Plus,Drew,we do get those UPS discounts which come in handy in out fitting a house with blu-ray players. I got my Panasonics directly from them 40% cheaper than what they were on Amazon.

drewed

Shankman
Did you just make that up or have you actually read it somewhere?

Thats why the wires are gold plated, just like most circuits are moisture can condense on the connector and if its not of a pure enough non-reactive metal it can corrode

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My tv is mounted at about 7 ft high on the wall (top of tv) and i have to run the wires from the entertainment system that holds the devices.

I actually spent the money to have my system professionally installed. They ran all of the wires in the wall, behind the baseboard and under the carpet. I have HD Cable, Blu-Ray, 42" plasma and an i-Pod dock. Well worth the investment (unless I have to move).