He Explains Capitalism in America..

MondayLates

I couldn't help but think of George Costanza when I watched this. He makes it very easy to understand, though. See for yourself:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Plug your wage into the top one and change the years. According to this inflation calculator, my current wage is only about 13 cents more than my starting wage from 10 years ago.

l22

He speaks the truth and the right calls him a Marxist to belittle his message but his message is real....

The right and most dems will always dismiss people like him because he speaks truths that would have the masses rightfully refusing to work and also have the masses revolting against the billionaire class --- if american workers actually asked more questions rather than just blindly "adapting" to horrible changes in the workplace

Den

Threats and intimidation is common with UPS. When this post was first written UPS had a great reputation

Things have changed. In the past few years Ups has come under criminal investigation. The have lied to government officials; they have falsified official records: they have endangered the public and violated anti terrorism laws; UPS has defrauded both the private sector and the government.

UPS has paid more than $200 million dollars for their skullduggery and recently criminally investigated and fined 40 million dollars for illegally distributing illegal drugs for drug dealers.

Drivers that have come forward have been beaten and harassed

In a capitalistic system the rich and powerful do well but eventually the tide turns. UPS has been above the law long enough.

Express Courier

I couldn't help but think of George Costanza when I watched this. He makes it very easy to understand, though. See for yourself:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Plug your wage into the top one and change the years. According to this inflation calculator, my current wage is only about 13 cents more than my starting wage from 10 years ago.

Not sure if i'm doing it right but my wage is worth like $4 more from 10 years ago? Which is pretty much what I've got in raises.Ohhh lol so I have gained nothing lmao.

MondayLates

Not sure if i'm doing it right but my wage is worth like $4 more from 10 years ago? Which is pretty much what I've got in raises.Ohhh lol so I have gained nothing lmao.

Yep, you are doing it exactly right! Mine came out to just over $4 more than my original hiring wage (and my current wage was only 13 cents more than this calculated number). So basically the wage you were earning when you got hired has the same purchasing power as what you earn now. In effect, you are earning the same in spite of the "raises"

Goldilocks

I got about 15.6 dollars and it only took me 30 years. lol When I started in 85 I was making about 10.50 an hour and 30 years later was making about 26 dollars an hour. lol

DontThrowPackages

"Right to work for less money state" I love it. I said few years back, if things don't change, the USA will resemble India and Mexico economically. America is becoming a third world country and, like climate change, nobody cares to do anything. 12 more years and I won't care either.

Goldilocks

Living in Texas and living under that Right to work law can be difficult for workers. They can fire you for anything. A few years ago we had some employees fight back and won their law suit.

Along with being a Right to work state we have even more problems with cheap labor, Illegals walking across the boarder and doing very well for themselves with jobs such as Construction, Lawn Services, Painters, Housekeeping, Restaurants. They drive nicer cars than most who work at Fedex. People in the North have no clue on how bad it really is in these boarder states. Don't get me wrong, I believe in Legal immigration.

Sometimes I just wish Texas would Secede. lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Living in Texas and living under that Right to work law can be difficult for workers. They can fire you for anything. A few years ago we had some employees fight back and won their law suit.

Along with being a Right to work state we have even more problems with cheap labor, Illegals walking across the boarder and doing very well for themselves with jobs such as Construction, Lawn Services, Painters, Housekeeping, Restaurants. They drive nicer cars than most who work at Fedex. People in the North have no clue on how bad it really is in these boarder states. Don't get me wrong, I believe in Legal immigration.

Sometimes I just wish Texas would Secede. lol

I spent 4 years in Lubbock. I can recall seeing day laborers hanging out in front of Home Depot. Lubbock was far enough from the border where we didn't have to deal with many of the issues that they have to deal with in El Paso or other border cities.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He speaks the truth and the right calls him a Marxist to belittle his message but his message is real....

Well, he identifies himself as a Marxist...

It's clear he's a clown (as all Marxists are) before he gets through the first minute.

He argues, somewhat correctly, that rising wages contribute to a higher standard of living. He goes on to state that wages have been essentially stagnant for the last 40 years by whatever yardstick he's using to measure wages. And true to form of anyone who has a soft spot in his heart for Marxist inspired economic theories, he completely ignores the exponential increase in this society's standard of living that has taken place over the last 40 years and wanders off to complain about profits.

This guy is pretty bad.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
...he completely ignores the exponential increase in this society's standard of living that has taken place over the last 40 years...

PHpi4ue.gif

Wilson

I wish people took the time to read Karl Marx. Everything he wrote about regarding capitalism has been true not just in some kind of thought experiment but in material results. Capitalism justification for an economic class system is its tenant that is provides the greatest good for the most people. But, capitalism perversions come because its is inherently exploitative and channels wealth upwards into fewer and fewer hands and then collapse.

Heres a 11 minute animated video put out after the latest financial crises by the (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce) RSA that pin pricks the issues of capitalism.

RSA Animate - Crises of Capitalism

Last edited:

59 Dano

Just to piggyback the original video worth a watch..

My boy Thom Hartmann!!! He yearns for major corporate welfare. He laments the decline in our manufacturing sector, even though it produces more now than it ever has. He thinks that trade deficits are bad. I'd like to visit the planet he lives on.

59 Dano

My iPhone retailed for around $600. It's over 1000 times more powerful than a Cray-1 Supercomputer, which was the baddest of the bad 40 years ago at a cost over $5 million.

But then there's always a contingent of people who prefer banging on things with rocks rather than using tools...

59 Dano

I wish people took the time to read Karl Marx. Everything he wrote about regarding capitalism has been true not just in some kind of thought experiment but in material results.

Hmmm.

But, capitalism perversions come because its is inherently exploitative and channels wealth upwards into fewer and fewer hands and then collapse.

Or not.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
My iPhone retailed for around $600. It's over 1000 times more powerful than a Cray-1 Supercomputer, which was the baddest of the bad 40 years ago at a cost over $5 million.

But then there's always a contingent of people who prefer banging on things with rocks rather than using tools...

I knew you'd go the route of technology, because yes, you are that predictable.

You should research tech sectors around the world, particularly in IT and data delivery fields and compare them to the U.S. and see just how far behind we really are.

qb3v7.jpg