He Explains Capitalism in America..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I knew you'd go the route of technology, because yes, you are that predictable.

Well, for one, technology is the most obvious example, and two, technology has been the reason for most increases in our standards of living since the caveman days.

You should research tech sectors around the world, particularly in IT and data delivery fields and compare them to the U.S. and see just how far behind we really are.

What does the tech sector in Upper Volta or anywhere else have to do with our continually increasing standard of living?

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Well, for one, technology is the most obvious example, and two, technology has been the reason for most increases in our standards of living since the caveman days.

What does the tech sector in Upper Volta or anywhere else have to do with our continually increasing standard of living?

wHAJt8s.gif

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
"Right to work for less money state" I love it. I said few years back, if things don't change, the USA will resemble India and Mexico economically. America is becoming a third world country and, like climate change, nobody cares to do anything. 12 more years and I won't care either.
history shows that when there is only rich and poor and no middle class, a revolution is near.

the difference now is that big business has found a way to pacify the masses thru the media and mindless TV shows and blasting us with the message that we are the luckiest people in the world.
most people are happy if you give them a beer, a cigarette , and a stupid reality TV show. an ideal plan for slavery.

im not sure americans will ever wake up. its like the proverbial frog in the pot of water on the stove.

59 Dano

The right and most dems will always dismiss people like him because he speaks truths that would have the masses rightfully refusing to work and also have the masses revolting against the billionaire class --- if american workers actually asked more questions rather than just blindly "adapting" to horrible changes in the workplace

People like him are dismissed because they have a fringe appeal and have the most limited grasp on the fundamentals of economics. Anyone with 5 minutes and a calculator can figure out that the overhaul of CEO compensation wouldn't make a difference in the pay of regular employees. The bulk of ideas from people like that guy are meant to punish those he doesn't like without providing anything positive.

El Morado Diablo

Anyone with 5 minutes and a calculator can figure out that the overhaul of CEO compensation wouldn't make a difference in the pay of regular employees.

Why do people who share your view always push back with lines like this?

The reason regular employees complain about CEO pay has more to do with how the pie is sliced and who is doing the slicing. No CEO's worth the compensation many of them are getting these days. America would be stronger economically if a corporation's success was shared by all it's employees from the CEO on down. If all of them did it they couldn't hide behind the excuse that their stock prices would be affected by investors who might be mad because their dividend rates might drop. They'd just have to get used to the idea of lower dividends being the norm.

DontThrowPackages

I Am Jacks.. You have to understand where Dano is coming from . His father is probably a notable executive inside the company who makes a million dollars a year. Using his life experience, Richard Wolff is full of it. Dano father probably procured dano's job of monitoring websites at a 6 figure salary. So on the topic of stagnant wages, Dano is out of touch. His opinion means nothing. Just another spoiled rich kid.

slowdriver

My boy Thom Hartmann!!! He yearns for major corporate welfare. He laments the decline in our manufacturing sector, even though it produces more now than it ever has. He thinks that trade deficits are bad. I'd like to visit the planet he lives on.
He's borderline communist, too extreme for me, but his point about wealth and jobs being exported via free trade is absolutely true.

I wish some candidate could institute tariffs on imports, reduce government, end the fed, reduce illegal immigration, and break up huge banks.

Donald does say some of those things, so do others in different ways, unfortunately nothing will change because, tariffs will end the reserve status of the usd, limiting government will kill gdp, and therfore jobs, can't really end the federal reserve, because it's propping up this bubble economy, through artificially low rates. Immigration is keeping our population from declining which would be hugely deflationary. I don't really see a way out.. check mate..

Maybe I'm going off the deep end, but sadly it seems to me war is the only way out of this massive wordwide debt bubble.

59 Dano

Why do people who share your view always push back with lines like this?

Because it's true.

The reason regular employees complain about CEO pay has more to do with how the pie is sliced and who is doing the slicing.

If Express employees had UPS pay and benefits, no one would care about how the pie was sliced.

No CEO's worth the compensation many of them are getting these days. America would be stronger economically if a corporation's success was shared by all it's employees from the CEO on down. If all of them did it they couldn't hide behind the excuse that their stock prices would be affected by investors who might be mad because their dividend rates might drop. They'd just have to get used to the idea of lower dividends being the norm.

Uh, the greatest beneft from owning stock is the rising value of the stock, not the dividend payouts of 25 cents to 65 cents a share for some common large stocks. And that's if they bother paying dividends.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I Am Jacks.. You have to understand where Dano is coming from . His father is probably a notable executive inside the company who makes a million dollars a year.

Retired factory worker, just like my mom. Try again.

Using his life experience, Richard Wolff is full of it.

That and an education. Wolff is a terrible economist. He made it through that whole spiel without even giving lip service to the decades of fiscal policy that wrought havoc on our economy that we've not seen since and blamed it on others.

Last edited:

59 Dano

He's borderline communist, too extreme for me, but his point about wealth and jobs being exported via free trade is absolutely true.

Yet America gets wealthier and wealthier, and our manufacturing output continues to grow.

I wish some candidate could institute tariffs on imports, reduce government, end the fed, reduce illegal immigration, and break up huge banks.

That would not be good. It weakens the dollar and encourages other markets to retaliate.

You kind of lost me with the rest.

TUT

I got about 15.6 dollars and it only took me 30 years. lol When I started in 85 I was making about 10.50 an hour and 30 years later was making about 26 dollars an hour. lol

I won't put my dollars in here, but this is one of the working tips I taught my children, which I give freely to you now. To really make more money (always assumed non-union jobs discussing this with them) you need to jump jobs. Your first job is the one you gain exp and prove your a good worker to get hired at your next better job(s). Your first job you put in more years, from there you take your talents and jump jobs until you have a wage you can find peace with in your life. This is street smart advice, no hokus pokus, this is our reality.

I'm thinking most of the examples being shown here are products of staying with one job for a real long time. By age 30 if no one told us ahead of time, you should have figured this out. One of the giveaways is someone new is hired and they make the same or more than you do immediately. That should trigger in yourself... "I need to do this technique to". The devil here is personal complacency. There are exceptions to the rule, better employers and perhaps yours was once one of those, but it isn't a forever given, things can change at any time. So I can see staying during the good times, but when they turn bad, then you need to perk up and take action. Being a driver (example of most posters here) you have opportunities each day, you meet many people each day, this is a huge advantage vs say a cubical worker, you can foster those relationships into something much better for you economically and physically. I know of people who worked for you in your positions that did just that. You have time, work it. Your employer is fine with that as well, I haven't worked for anyone that really stood in my way to do something better, now they couldn't give me something better, but when something better came, I told them, they congratulated me and that was that.

We want to live in a fantasy world of employment, wage increases above inflation constantly, in theoretically it could exist, but it doesn't. So do you take action or complain? I think this, you need to take action and once you do you can complain about it to, you are walking the walk. But doing nothing and complaining is bad juju for you personally, you are just talking the talk.

By the way good video.

59 Dano

Perhaps you should head over to the UPS side of this site and see if they aren't complaining about how the pie is sliced.

Perhaps you should pay attention to how much a token 6% raise managed to subdue the complaints. How much complaining would you do about Express CEO pay if your pay was doubled, you got a better benefits package, and a comfortable defined benefit pension? I wouldn't care at all, not that I do now.

dezguy

Perhaps you should pay attention to how much a token 6% raise managed to subdue the complaints. How much complaining would you do about Express CEO pay if your pay was doubled, you got a better benefits package, and a comfortable defined benefit pension? I wouldn't care at all, not that I do now.
Has it though? From what I see, only certain employees are getting a 6%, many only getting 3% AND I still see complaints.

And FYI, I will always complain about CEO pay, seeing as a good number of them are paid sickening amounts of money. I am also always looking to better my situation. They could double my pay and I would still ask for more then next year.

You stop asking, they stop giving.

Maui

Yet America gets wealthier and wealthier, and our manufacturing output continues to grow.

That would not be good. It weakens the dollar and encourages other markets to retaliate.

You kind of lost me with the rest.

Yes, manufacturing output has increased. Technology has made that possible and also resulted in fewer manufacturing jobs in the last 35 years (around 7 million less). Productivity has doubled, but real hourly wages since 1964 in this sector (including mines and utilities) have only grown 7.7%

The US is also no longer the world's largest manufacturer based on output. That title belongs to China. India will likely surpass the US by 2025 or 2030 based on the rate of growth in both countries

I'm not sure how you judge standard of living, but real median income is actually 8.85% lower through 2014 than it was in 1999.

Your replies are flippant and ignore what, I believe, are real structural problems regarding wages. The average American worker is not sharing in the growing prosperity. Yes, most people would be happy if their salary doubled and their benefits improved. I can't think of anyone I know personally, from welfare recipients to billionaires, that would not welcome increased income. Of course, the idea would be that more money would also buy more goods or create more financial security.

If pay were doubled for Express workers, then the money would have to come from somewhere. It would not be possible to maintain wages, executive compensation and profits at current levels. So I think it is correct to say there is a big issue with how the pie is sliced. CEO pay has increased 997% since 1978 while average workers saw an increase of 10.9%. This equates to a 354-1 ratio, which is by far the worst in the developed world. Germany is 147-1 and the UK is 84-1.

I believe workers are right to feel slighted regarding pay. Their efforts have not been rewarded nearly as much as executives.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How much complaining would you do about Express CEO pay if your pay was doubled, you got a better benefits package, and a comfortable defined benefit pension? I wouldn't care at all, not that I do now.
You're full of crap too. Just how likely is that possibility to anyone within Express that does the grunt work? Your pro-company comments are arrogant and misguided and sound exactly like something corporate has told you to say.

Last edited: