He Explains Capitalism in America..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps you should pay attention to how much a token 6% raise managed to subdue the complaints. How much complaining would you do about Express CEO pay if your pay was doubled, you got a better benefits package, and a comfortable defined benefit pension? I wouldn't care at all, not that I do now.

Your full of crap too. Just how likely is that possibility to anyone within Express that does the grunt work? Your pro-company comments are arrogant and misguided and sound exactly like something corporate has told you to say.

Dano is right. I make a decent wage, enjoy excellent benefits and know that I will have a secure retirement. I couldn't care less how much Scott Davis (or whoever our CEO is this week) makes.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Dano is right. I make a decent wage, enjoy excellent benefits and know that I will have a secure retirement. I couldn't care less how much Scott Davis (or whoever our CEO is this week) makes.
Scott Davis isn't raking in nearly as much as Fred S is. So if you think that it's OK for a CEO to employee pay ratio of 354 - 1, then you're part of the problem too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Great. We make far less than you do (sometimes half) and have no retirement security at all. Meanwhile, Fred, his upper echelon pals, and the pilots are all making major bank.

So, yes, I do care what our CEO makes, as should everyone else. Carly Fiorina, the current Far Right darling, absolutely destroyed the company she "led", while tripling her salary. Why should leaders be rewarded for poor performance. At Lucent, she duplicated her failures at HP.

Maui

Where are you getting that stat? I'd have to question that one fairly hard. It's bad, but not that bad.

BLS. This is just for manufacturing. Real hourly wage in 2014$ is going from memory is $20.89 vs $19 something. I believe the increase was $1.74

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People like him are dismissed because they have a fringe appeal and have the most limited grasp on the fundamentals of economics. Anyone with 5 minutes and a calculator can figure out that the overhaul of CEO compensation wouldn't make a difference in the pay of regular employees. The bulk of ideas from people like that guy are meant to punish those he doesn't like without providing anything positive.

Really? Today's capitalism is a pyramid, where the very top of the pyramid controls a hugely disproportionate share of this country's wealth. The "fundamentals" here are that we have a tiny aristocracy and a huge underclass, with a declining middle class.

What creates this, you ask? Outsourcing is big, but worker wages have remained stagnant for decades now, while executive pay has skyrocketed. FedEx Express is a perfect example, where wages are years behind cost-of-living, the company is badly managed, but the execs are making money hand over fist.

And it's not just FedEx. When companies are incentivized to move their operations to RTW states by tax or infrastructure gifts, along with near zero ability for workers to unionize, what do you get? $14-$17 per hour jobs with minimal benefits, but huge profits for the corporations. South Carolina and Texas immediately come to mind as states that roll out the red carpet (and big dollars) to attract corporations there, where workers are paid peanuts. Toyota recently relocated it's corporate HQ to Texas, and the South and Mid-South are full of foreign assembly plants that were incentivized to locate there. The jobs are decent, but nowhere near the pay where workers can save for a decent retirement or have any sort of disposable income that encourages a "better" life.

The biggest incentives in US history were recently paid to Boeing, so it would supposedly retain manufacturing jobs here in the US. After getting all of the benefits, Boeing promptly shipped off jobs to China and elsewhere.

vantexan

Is it executive pay or executive compensation? Salary is pay but that's not where most of the money is made. Executives in every industry today are in bed with Wall Street. The real money is in stock options, and they make the big money by holding down costs to increase profits. That translates into higher stock prices, and our executives cash in. So when you see how much our executives are making remember it's not their paychecks that are so high, and they're plenty high enough, it's that they are taking it out of our hides to cash in. But in FedEx's case they've demanded so much from us for so long with so little reward that their chickens are coming home to roost. Most people who work in demanding environments expect excellent compensation in return. Looks like reality finally set in that they can't continue to lie and screw us over and get away with it. Dano can talk all he wants about higher quality of life, it declined for FedEx couriers in the last 15+ years. We work for greedy, dishonest people who only give more grudgingly, and wouldn't if they didn't have to.