Headaches

tourists24

I quit getting migraines after my gallbladder was removed. Never would have associated the two. Like Tourists24 I thought plain old fashioned aspirin relieved some of the pain - so did sticking my face in steam for about 20 minutes (Homedics facial sauna).
gall bladder? really? did anyone explain why that may have been? lol.... Id do anything to fix my migraines.lol

Ms.PacMan

gall bladder? really? did anyone explain why that may have been? lol.... Id do anything to fix my migraines.lol
No, I only had one follow-up visit after surgery and it was probably a month or two before it dawned on me that I hadn't had a migraine since the surgery.

tourists24

Has your doctor suggested anything besides that headache powder?
oh my yes Jones.... Ive been trying to find an answer for several years now to no avail... We've tried everything from steroid packs to cortizone shots in the head to muscle relaxers. Im currently taking Duexis which is basically an 800mg dose of ibuprofen along with something else that makes it prescription. It does ok but still doesnt solve the problem.

Powders are the best thing I have come across. Odd that doctor was more concerned about the caffeine doses in the powders than how upset they can make your stomach.

S

serenity now

oh my yes Jones.... Ive been trying to find an answer for several years now to no avail... We've tried everything from steroid packs to cortizone shots in the head to muscle relaxers. Im currently taking Duexis which is basically an 800mg dose of ibuprofen along with something else that makes it prescription. It does ok but still doesnt solve the problem.

Powders are the best thing I have come across. Odd that doctor was more concerned about the caffeine doses in the powders than how upset they can make your stomach.

have you tried Zomig at any time ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

That sucks. You didn't mention triptans but I assume those didn't work either, they don't work for everybody but for me it was like magic. If I start getting symptoms I take one pill and boom, it's gone.

tourists24

That sucks. You didn't mention triptans but I assume those didn't work either, they don't work for everybody but for me it was like magic. If I start getting symptoms I take one pill and boom, it's gone.
honestly, Im not sure if Ive tried it before or not. I have tried several different meds and none have been a good fix. What are the side effects? Does it make you drowsy? Almost everything Ive tried has made me drowsy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
honestly, Im not sure if Ive tried it before or not. I have tried several different meds and none have been a good fix. What are the side effects? Does it make you drowsy? Almost everything Ive tried has made me drowsy.
There are basically no noticeable side effects. It can elevate your bp slightly so if you suffer from extreme hypertension that might be an issue. Axert and Immitrex are both triptans, and Serenity mentioned Zomig which is also a triptan. Maxalt, Amerge, and Relpax are some other brand names.

S

serenity now

drowsiness is one of the listed side effects

over9five

Staff member

It's not odd at all. I've only tried OTC stuff, but I was using Excedrin Migraine for a while. It is a combination of Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, and Caffeine. It came to be that I HAD to take it every day or I would get a headache. My doctor at the time said it was the caffeine that made you kinda addicted to it.
And that was many years ago, and I (stupidly) never went any further in trying to get relief for the headaches.

over9five

Staff member

That's what I need. You hear stories about men that won't go to doctors, etc. I guess I'm one of those, but not anymore.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's what I need. You hear stories about men that won't go to doctors, etc. I guess I'm one of those, but not anymore.
I tend to be that way too, but the severity of my migraines didn't leave me any choice. Like I said I've never gotten them frequently but when I do it's the whole show and prior to triptans coming on the market I was basically non-functional for 2-3 days, curled up in a dark room puking my guts out.

tourists24

It's not odd at all. I've only tried OTC stuff, but I was using Excedrin Migraine for a while. It is a combination of Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, and Caffeine. It came to be that I HAD to take it every day or I would get a headache. My doctor at the time said it was the caffeine that made you kinda addicted to it.
And that was many years ago, and I (stupidly) never went any further in trying to get relief for the headaches.
I see the point.... I was always more concerned about what it was doing to my stomach. Never realized the caffeine was part of the equation til the doctor told me. But I havent given up hope yet for the right med. The Duexis seems to be a decent substitute for the powders til something better can be found