Headaches

over9five

Staff member
I tend to be that way too, but the severity of my migraines didn't leave me any choice. Like I said I've never gotten them frequently but when I do it's the whole show and prior to triptans coming on the market I was basically non-functional for 2-3 days, curled up in a dark room puking my guts out.
Never had the puking, but I've done the dark room thing. The pulsing was the worst, like your head was being smashed between giant cymbals in time with your heartbeat.

gingerkat

Headaches really suck! I'm glad you're going to see your M.D. soon. I hope it's one of those simple stress or tension headache's vs a symptom of something serious. Have you tried a little caffeine or a pinch of salt? If your wife has any around, take a Midol, that has caffeine, tylenol & ibuprofen together. Elevate your head & put a cool compress (but only for 5 minutes or so) on your eyes, that should help relax your blood vessels.

S

serenity now

Headaches really suck! I'm glad you're going to see your M.D. soon. I hope it's one of those simple stress or tension headache's vs a symptom of something serious. Have you tried a little caffeine or a pinch of salt? If your wife has any around, take a Midol, that has caffeine, tylenol & ibuprofen together. Elevate your head & put a cool compress (but only for 5 minutes or so) on your eyes, that should help relax your blood vessels.

bad advice, don't take a Midol / that could mess up your entire system / then you would have to go to a ladies doctor and beg for the antidote / don't do it :nonono:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What do you use for a very bad headache? I get these nasty ones that can last a week. Acetaminophen sucks, ibuprofen. Is a little better.

Sorry, phone randomly throws a period in the middle of a sentence!

Doctor appointment Tuesday, need better drugs (or brain surgery).

wife gets killer migraines. She uses excedrine migraine or tension. Do u workout regularly? If so it's likely something your eating or a chemical that brings them on.

Brownslave688

I can't help you. I think I could count the number of head aches I've had in my life on one hand (not counting my "hangover days" years ago) . My wife on the otherhand eats Ibuprofan like they are peanuts.

Exactly the same here. I just can't understand her migraines because the closest thing I've had is a ten second brain freeze.

Brownslave688

Never had the puking, but I've done the dark room thing. The pulsing was the worst, like your head was being smashed between giant cymbals in time with your heartbeat.

Ok here is my wife's regimen. Excedrine migraine then an ice pack on her head dark room and me massaging either the base of her neck or her temples. Every one is a little different and different things work for different people. Just need to find what works for u. I'll add that she once got them so bad the dr gave her immetrix shots to get her the meds as fast as possible. I convinced her get off all the meds exercise regularly and eat better. She gets them way less now.

gingerkat

wife gets killer migraines. She uses excedrine migraine or tension. Do u workout regularly? If so it's likely something your eating or a chemical that brings them on.

Agreed, food/diet has a lot to do with migraines. I've been getting migraines for years and started with meds, then went to a nutritionist, then to acupuncturist & herbalist, then just oxygen with no luck. Just last year I was put on Topamax which is technically classified as an anti-epileptic, but is known for the prevention of migraines. It won't stop a migraine once in progress, but if taken regularly, can help slow them and make them less intense. I very rarely get migraines now and have almost no side effects from this medication. It's been a real life saver for me!

I'm sure your wife knows to take it easy on the ibuprofen, right? After years and years of taking them, it tore my stomach up and actually put a hole in the lining. Now I have to take two different meds to help with the stomach pain and I can't eat spicy food, which I love.

Over9 - I hope you're feeling better...let us know what your doc thinks.

Brownslave688

My doctor wants an MRI/MRA. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.... :-(
MRI will tell the story.........

Maybe. Maybe not. My wife had a ct scan thought maybe she had a tumor. While we were dating she was only 18-19. Pretty scary for some kids. All came back negative not really much they could do from there.

We like to joke that they are because she's so smart her brain is too large for her skull. Migraines are no joking matter though.

gingerkat

My doctor wants an MRI/MRA. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.... :-(
I have had a few MRA's done, but it was to rule out any weakness in the blood vessels in my head since a close family member died from a brain aneurysm. But headaches are one of those symptoms that could be from so many things that it's hard to pinpoint any one thing. Good luck to you sir!

over9five

Staff member
I'm guessing he wants to rule some things out (like a tumor). I've never heard that an MRI can can be used to directly diagnose migraines.
I was thinking maybe one of his buddies runs the MRI Dept, and needed some extra insurance money!

P

pickup

It's that damn IVIS. For years, I've been telling everyone it has been sending messages and giving me headaches and no one believed me. Now everyone is getting messages on it and these repeat messages about safety and accidents in the district are giving everyone headaches.

The solution: wear a tinfoil hat.