Headaches

over9five

Staff member
Phone call today:

"Mr. 9five? This is Karen from Blah Blah MRI Dept. Your brain and arteries all look great, but we've found a cyst. This is what is causing your headaches!"

"Really? And what do we do about this cyst?"

"Nothing! We expect it will go away by itself" ('reabsorb', I think she said)

"So this cyst has been causing my headaches these past years?"

"Uhhh.....years??.... Well, no...." She starts reading my records out loud. "Oh, you've had them for a while..... Uhhh.... I see you have a followup appointment tomorrow with a doctor! Goodbye!"

OMG....

S

serenity now

I was thinking maybe one of his buddies runs the MRI Dept, and needed some extra insurance money!

close * wife of the buddy wants a new Mercedes * old one about to turn 25K

moreluck

golden ticket member
Be a "question machine". See if you can take the Mrs. with you........it just sometimes requires 4 ears to hear everything including the "doctor talk" they babble. Slow it down. Make them spell it and write it down. Make them get their info. across slowly and clearly.

It's not that we are stupid, it's just that they speak another language all day long in their jobs. Sometimes more than just one language!!
Good luck with your doctor talk!

over9five

Staff member
So my doctor then decided another of his friends needed some of the insurance money, so off I go to the neurologist.
"Yes, you have migraines, Mr 9Five". Well, duh....

He wants me to:

Get regular sleep (I'm a UPS Feeder driver, good luck with that)
Have regular meals, don't skip (Once again, UPS Feeder driver. Never skipped a meal!)
Exercise
Lots of water

AND take natural supplements:

Magnesium oxide
Butterbur

BUT, if I get a migraine he also prescribed Imitrex.

We'll see....

So my doctor then decided another of his friends needed some of the insurance money, so off I go to the neurologist.

He wants me to:

Have regular meals, don't skip (Once again, UPS Feeder driver. Never skipped a meal!)
Exercise
Lots of water

Magnesium oxide
Butterbur

We'll see....

I think you're menstruating.

Let's test it out. This is tried and true proven:

"Hey, Ovah, want to have sex?

What? Headache and period?"

Yep, thats what it is.

over9five

Staff member
I think you're menstruating.

Let's test it out. This is tried and true proven:

"Hey, Ovah, want to have sex?

What? Headache and period?"

Yep, thats what it is.

Thanks. You could have saved me a lot of time if you had told me that in the beginning!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

He wants me to:

Exercise
Lots of water

Magnesium oxide
Butterbur

We'll see....
Last time I talked to a doctor about it he was pushing vitamin B2 and COQ10 as preventive supplements, didn't say peep about Magnesium Oxide or Butterbur. I'm not even sure what Butterbur is.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Last time I talked to a doctor about it he was pushing vitamin B2 and COQ10 as preventive supplements, didn't say peep about Magnesium Oxide or Butterbur. I'm not even sure what Butterbur is.
Sounds like a cross of butter & bourbon.........cake????

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont know how I missed this. After a cesarean which I assume you didnt have, they told me lie flat for 12 hrs. Or you will get the headache from hell. I had a spinal block and they said sometimes a tich of air can get in the spine and cause this. I came home with my baby and had a headache from then til forever. Small sounds like pulling the curtain back in my hospital room, which sounded like a freight train running alongside me, to any light, was excruciating. There is no escape.
As soon as I would power puke it would go away. But it tooks hours, sometimes a week to get to that point.
The doc finally gave me a pill, which the name excapes me now, to take the minute I could feel it coming on. After you have a few, you know they are coming. Before that it was monthly trips to the ER. Where I knew them on a first name basis, they would just give me a shot of demarol, and once thorazine, not good. But to prevent them, what I learned was.....a nerve in my shoulder would always get pinched, a chiro fixed that, they subsided a little.
There is a pill for premenstrual syndrome, called premysn, it works wonders. I used to give it to the guys at work, and promised them they wouldnt grow breasts, it worked for them.
The reason vomiting helps is it opens up your blood vessels, and then blood flows properly, and it goes away, I do not know why. I also used Exedrin PM, and I could get a restful sleep, that is key.
Also avoid sharp cheeses, and alcohol. My two favorite things. I havent had one in yrs, praise God. My son is 35 and it started with him, and lasted til about 10 yrs ago.

over9five

Staff member
This doctor told me he used to push B2 (Riboflavin) as well, but not one person ever told him it helped. I guess he's had better responses with Magnesium Oxide and Butterbur.

over9five

Staff member
Dont know how I missed this. After a cesarean which I assume you didnt have, they told me lie flat for 12 hrs. Or you will get the headache from hell. I had a spinal block and they said sometimes a tich of air can get in the spine and cause this. I came home with my baby and had a headache from then til forever. Small sounds like pulling the curtain back in my hospital room, which sounded like a freight train running alongside me, to any light, was excruciating. There is no escape.
As soon as I would power puke it would go away. But it tooks hours, sometimes a week to get to that point.
The doc finally gave me a pill, which the name excapes me now, to take the minute I could feel it coming on. After you have a few, you know they are coming. Before that it was monthly trips to the ER. Where I knew them on a first name basis, they would just give me a shot of demarol, and once thorazine, not good. But to prevent them, what I learned was.....a nerve in my shoulder would always get pinched, a chiro fixed that, they subsided a little.
There is a pill for premenstrual syndrome, called premysn, it works wonders. I used to give it to the guys at work, and promised them they wouldnt grow breasts, it worked for them.
The reason vomiting helps is it opens up your blood vessels, and then blood flows properly, and it goes away, I do not know why. I also used Exedrin PM, and I could get a restful sleep, that is key.
Also avoid sharp cheeses, and alcohol. My two favorite things. I havent had one in yrs, praise God. My son is 35 and it started with him, and lasted til about 10 yrs ago.

Well, THAT aint gonna happen!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This doctor told me he used to push B2 (Riboflavin) as well, but not one person ever told him it helped. I guess he's had better responses with Magnesium Oxide and Butterbur.
Maybe because he never saw them again? Hell I don't know, I honestly can't tell you if they've helped me either but I'm not a normal case because I get them so infrequently anyway. I did some googling around after he told me that and what I found seemed to support what he said but not in a way that was really as definitive as I would like (clinical trials and such). Back in HS a doc taught me biofeedback and that actually does work but you need to be in a place where you can relax and focus which pretty much rules out being at work. Bottom line Axert is the only thing I've found that works every time, regardless of the situation.

bbsam

Staff member
Bill Cosby recommends Midol and I have tried for years to get one of my best friends to try it with his crippling headaches.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Bill Cosby recommends Midol and I have tried for years to get one of my best friends to try it with his crippling headaches.
Midol, works pretty well, I just always found for some reason, Premysn works way better. Its all in how it works on your vessels, which I think actually is what causes the headaches, the triggers just make them worse.
I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, I just use to get them alot.