Health Insurance for Retirees - So Confused!

CJS

I have found some info on the blog but still confused! I'm thinking about retiring (Central States) next year and do not know what to do about insurance. Can someone give me the pros and cons of the UPS insurance versus the new insurance? Is there somewhere to find the information on the new insurance that is offered in Oct of each year?

raceanoncr

How old are you gonna be? You in the UPS insurance now?

I was/am in CS also. I signed up for UPS insurance when first offered. I know, some were skeptical and didn't. I found it to be, when I retired, just as good as when employed. Sure there were some co-pays now, but only $10, for instance if you wanted name RXs instead of generic.

I was, however, very disappointed when I turned 65. Then forced to take Medicare plus Supp. I wanted to keep paying the $200 a month for the UPS but they say, nope, you gotta take the Medicare. My wife, though, who is not 65, is still able to stay on, paying the $200 for hers.

My advice? And ONLY my advice...if you are under 65 and going to retire, get in the UPS. It's fairly cheap and covers the same as when working.

CJS

I will be 58 when I retire. I am in the UPS insururance now. What made you decide to new insurance instead of staying with the traditional? I wonder what will happen the retirees if UPS does change their Health plan in the next few years.