Health Insurance Plan Question

Would you use an insurance plan benefit even it you didn't really need to?

• Yes---I work hard and am entitled to use my benefits whether I need them or not.

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No----if I don't really need it I won't abuse the privilege.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had my annual eye exam this morning. Our vision benefits pay for an annual eye exam and either a pair of frames from a certain rack ("welfare rack") or a $120 allowance toward the frames of our choice and lenses. My prescription didn't change and I already have two pair of glasses that I like so I had two choices: save the union some money and keep just what I have or order a third pair that I don't really need just because I can. At first I was going to do the former but ended up ordering a pair of prescription sunglasses with no money out of my pocket.

over9five

Staff member
You did the right thing. A couple of months ago we went. I got prescription safety glasses to keep in the garage. Can't have too many pairs of glasses. One in every room and every vehicle might be enough....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It took me a few minutes as I wrestled with this issue in my mind. Truth be told is that if it had been my money I had been spending I would have said "no". I work hard and I deserve a treat every now and then.

over9five

Staff member
PLUS...... As you know, every possible option is included with the Davis Plan at no charge to us.
I also got two pairs of ..... crap, now I forget what they're called.... stronger magnification at the bottom, none at the top.
Anyhow, I HATE them.... Will never get that option again. People tell me "You'll get used to them and love them!" I can't even wear them!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
PLUS...... As you know, every possible option is included with the Davis Plan at no charge to us.
I also got two pairs of ..... crap, now I forget what they're called.... stronger magnification at the bottom, none at the top.
Anyhow, I HATE them.... Will never get that option again. People tell me "You'll get used to them and love them!" I can't even wear them!
Progressives?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ligher/darker are called transitions.

I tried transitions once----they don't transition fast enough for our job.

It takes time but you do get used to progressives.

over9five

Staff member
The ligher/darker are called transitions.

I tried transitions once----they don't transition fast enough for our job.

That's it, transitions.
And yes, they take forever to go from dark to light.

It takes time but you do get used to progressives.

It's true I haven't given them much of a chance yet. I'm happy with my short reading glasses that I can look OVER when I want to see far.

Are you asking for prevention of problems?

The money spent on regular check ups and the potential to catch problems early is far cheaper than trying to cure a serious problem discovered late.

over9five

Staff member
Back to the question at hand------if you don't really need to use a health insurance benefit, should you use it or should you just say no?
Hard to answer because it depends what your definition of "needs" is.
I feel I need glasses all over the place so I can always have a pair handy.
Another nice option is to get the new pairs you are entitled to, and donate the old pair to the needy. You see those eyeglasses drop boxes all over.

I answered your poll "Yes".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No....I am talking about ordering a pair of prescription sunglasses simply because my plan allows for a free pair of glasses, not because I really wanted a pair of prescription sunglasses.

If I had to use my own money they would still be sitting on the rack.

No....I am talking about ordering a pair of prescription sunglasses simply because my plan allows for a free pair of glasses, not because I really wanted a pair of prescription sunglasses.

If I had to use my own money they would still be sitting on the rack.

Then should the poll ask "vision plan benefit" instead?

"Insurance" is a pretty broad brush.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You mentioned have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two and update the lenses in both (one covered/one self-pay w/discount) as needed. My Rx didn't change so I still had the free frame and lens benefit available, even though I didn't really need to use it.