health insurance

retired2000

the other day when i picked up my mail there was a letter from ups. the letter says here in the northeast we are going to have to start paying for our health ins. does anyone have any idea on how much this will cost us each month? the letter did not say this. all ups wanted from us was our credit card number or our check number.

kenco80233

In some districts,such as The Rocky Mountain District,we were in the UPS Health Plan.I am retired and remained in the UPS Insurance Plan.

helenofcalifornia

In Western States, if retired, we have had to pick up a part of the health insurance until we turn 65. $150 monthly for those that are 50-55, $100 monthly for 56-60, and $50 monthly for those seniors 61-65.

Is this what you are talking about? If you have more information, please post.

The UPS retirement game is changing the rules and I think we all should be aware of them. Even you youngsters who are many, many years away from retiring should be aware of how this will impact you.

helenofcalifornia

P.S. The statement of the impending health care costs for those who had already retired arrived in a very innocuous envelope. One that in the past I would have thrown away. For some reason I opened this one and am glad I did. A lot of the guys looking forward to retirement in the near future are unaware of these changes because they throw away a lot of the stuff they think is junk mail. So open all you mail, there might be something important in it. (I mean really, how many letters do you get from the Union with another chiropractor soliciting for business???)

retired2000

helen of calf. what you gave me about the monthly figures is what i am looking for. so far ups has not sent us anything like that. all we are hearing is from word of mouth and to call the number that is in the letter is like pulling teeth. no one there knows what is going on. the numbers that we are getting are $135 a month per person. they also want two months up front by aug 1.

helenofcalifornia

If I had to pay $150 a month at age 50 to get the insurance I presently have with UPS - NO PROBLEM!!! I know in the past you didn't have to pay anything, but the economy is tanking so fast now....

Hope you get the info you need quickly.

retired2000

paying the money is not the problem. it is the way ups is handling it. we got 1 letter end of june saying they want our credit card number or a direct deposit slip filled out. nothing was said about how much we had to pay. just yesterday we get another letter telling us it needs to be paid by aug 1 and they want two months up front. even the retirees that left ups last month know nothing about this.

sendagain

I think you'd better talk to your union and see if these appeals are legitimate. It also should be brought up to the management where you work. UPS tried to raise the cost of the health care premium for the retirees out here on the west coast at the beginning of this year, and the union made them hold the premium to $50 a month. It was one of the best things the union has done for me in my entire career.

O

oldupsman

Retired,
I spent my entire driving career in Metro Philly. We had UPS health care since the strike in 1976. Retired last year and am currently paying 50.00 a month. There was talk of an increase last contract but the union didn't give in and it remained at 50.00. To my knowledge it is a contract issue and can't be raised again until the next contract. I wouldn't send them a thing and get in touch with the local.

helenofcalifornia

Hey Retired, I would appreciate any updates you have on your health insurance. I agree with Sendagain that a call to the Union is warranted. How much are they asking you to pay monthly? Have you found out yet? Keep us posted, a very important issue.

retired2000

hi helen,
i have called the union hall and they do not know anymore then i do. we have s meeting this wed morning that i need to attend. will lwt you know what i find out.

Hangingon

Last I heard the medical for retirees in our local is almost 500 a month per person if you retire before 55. So almost 1k a month if you're married and want to continue the same coverage.

helenofcalifornia

OK, I guess I need to call the Union. Or Western States. I thought we had to pay $50-150 a month for benefits (depending on age of retirement) and then Medicare would be our health provider. Am I wrong on this? It's amazing at how different our health benefits are per state. Any Norcal retired UPSers who know for sure out there?

ups79

OK, I guess I need to call the Union. Or Western States. I thought we had to pay $50-150 a month for benefits (depending on age of retirement) and then Medicare would be our health provider. Am I wrong on this? It's amazing at how different our health benefits are per state. Any Norcal retired UPSers who know for sure out there?

Local 710, in Chicago, through the company and amounts to $50.00(total) for both retiree and spouse. Once the retiree reaches 65 you lose your coverage, however your spouse if younger than you has insurance for 3 more years after you turn 65, provide he or she does not reach age 65 during those three years. If, for example she is 2 years younger than you she can continue UPS insurance for those 2 years. After which she becomes medicare age and thus loses UPS coverage.