Healthcare cost raised for the retired

oldngray

nowhere special
Stress can be a huge part in it. At my last DOT it was a little higher than the doctor liked. He said take a few deep breaths and relax. A few minutes later it dropped down quite a bit.

There used to be little pressure about the physical. Much more stressful now with so many ways they can try to disqualify you.

Faceplanted

Serious question...

Why would the union not put on the table for us the option to opt out of the pension and just have ups roll a smaller amount into a 401k, or give us bigger raises and have ups match up to a certain percentage? Are they making money off our pensions?

As long as I stick to my current plans I will be ready to get out of ups at 45, I think it's totally unfair to hold our contributions with us having to work longer. All the money put in for me that ups paid over what will be 25 + years will not at all be seen by my, and that shouldn't be my fault for being pro active and planning a super early retirement. I should not receive health care as that's irrational, but my pension contributions is a diff story.

Last edited:
Serious question...

Why would the union not put on the table for us the option to opt out of the pension and just have ups roll a smaller amount into a 401k, or give us bigger raises and have ups match up to a certain percentage? Are they making money off our pensions?

As long as I stick to my current plans I will be ready to get out of ups at 45, I think it's totally unfair to hold our contributions with us having to work longer. All the money put in for me that ups paid over what will be 25 + years will not at all be seen by my, and that shouldn't be my fault for being pro active and planning a super early retirement. I should not receive health care as that's irration, but my pension contributions is a diff story.
Don't know if they are making any money off of it. But a lot of their friends got nice paying board and trustee jobs out if it.

rod

Retired 22 years
As long as I stick to my current plans I will be ready to get out of ups at 45, I think it's totally unfair to hold our contributions with us having to work longer. All the money put in for me that ups paid over what will be 25 + years will not at all be seen by my, and that shouldn't be my fault for being pro active and planning a super early retirement. I should not receive health care as that's irrational, but my pension contributions is a diff story.

I think that would be some kind of UPS record if you are actually thinking of retiring at 45.

Faceplanted

I think that would be some kind of UPS record if you are actually thinking of retiring at 45.
On track to have multiple properties paid off by than, have a decent savings, wife works a good job, and have the option at anytime to leave here for a place with socialized health to care to live.

No kids is a huge help. I know damn well I'll be lucky to even get a few hundred bucks from ups, which is what bothers me after being vested 25 or so if im out at 45. Iv lost many friends and family before they hit 60, that shows me enjoy every day u have here, no way am I content waiting till I have 30 ft years which is what I need in my supp for full time pension

rod

Retired 22 years
On track to have multiple properties paid off by than, have a decent savings, wife works a good job, and have the option at anytime to leave here for a place with socialized health to care to live.

No kids is a huge help. I know damn well I'll be lucky to even get a few hundred bucks from ups, which is what bothers me after being vested 25 or so if im out at 45

how many years do you have left?

Faceplanted

Only have about 5ft, 8pt.

The key to retiring young imho is real estate, you can raise rent to your tenant every year as inflation goes up. You can get by on that income, compared to an early ups pension retirement which have 0 cost of living increases through our your whole retirement. That 170 dollar cable bill at 55 will probably be 350-400 by your 75 while your pension payment is the same.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Serious question...

I believe the reason they don't let you opt out is the same reason 16yo are paying SS even though they probably will never get it. You're not paying for your pension. Your paying for the other people that have already retired.

Faceplanted

I feel bad for a lot of you old timers, ups was a difference place, I understand your being upset about not getting what you were promised

All us newer guys, I don't feel bad for any of my peers for not being prepared for the future. We are seeing right now what is going on with our older brothers. Ups is getting more and more greddy even though every quarter is record profits. Prepare your self and make tons of exit strategies.

If I run a Ponzi scheme I go to jail. Ups, social security, and tons of other funds are nothing more than Ponzi schemes yet our great leaders actually bail them out!!! Gotta love it!!!