Healthcare cost raised for the retired

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
At least one if finally seeing it. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg ain't all its cooked up to be.
You hear what you want to hear and say only what you're told.
Speaking for myself, I would have accepted a dime an hour annual raise in return for my healthcare remaining as it was, shorter progression, better 9.5 language, improved protection from technology and the Surepost initiative to name a few.
That didn't happen and won't happen under the present administration because they have us mesmerized with hourly rate raises, while we continue to lose in almost every other facet of the agreement.
The IBT continues to sell off these contractual protections for raises, because when we get a raise, so does the IBT.
With our dues predicated on 2.5 times our hourly rate, this is undeniable.

I don't buy into the "sky is falling" mentality, rather the "rug is is being pulled out from under us" by the very organization that is supposed to protect it.

Last edited:

10 point

You hear what you want to hear and say only what your told.
Speaking for myself, I would have accepted a dime an hour annual raise in return for my healthcare remaining as it was, shorter progression, better 9.5 language, improved protection from technology and the Surepost initiative to name a few.
That didn't happen and won't happen under the present administration because they have us mesmerized with hourly rate raises, while we continue to lose in almost every other facet of the agreement.
The IBT continues to sell off these contractual protections for raises, because when we get a raise, so does the IBT.

I don't buy into the "sky is falling" mentality, rather the "rug is is being pulled out from under us" by the very organization that is supposed to protect it.
The company knows what the score is prior to negotiations with the variables being mostly the demeaner and resolve of the IBT leadership.
In other words, if you know you're going to get your butt kicked prior to a fight you rarely push the issue....if you're smart.

My response and posts are about those that think that it's an easy fix to strike in today's economy. I saw the reaction to the IPA announcement. It was not good

I believe that having strong IBT leadership thwarts the idea that the company can succeed in offering less than their best.

Vote for your future. If you believe that this current administration is our best representation then vote for them. If not, vote for change.

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
OMG, I never thought about that.

Makes perfect sense to fight for pay raises only and let the other benefits dwindle.

The union only makes money off of hourly pay.

They don't make money off of benefits.

That's why they fight for the pay increases, but many get weaker healthcare and pension increase diversions.

Because those benefits don't put money into H's coffers.

Spongebob1

OMG, I never thought about that.

Makes perfect sense to fight for pay raises only and let the other benefits dwindle.

The union only makes money off of hourly pay.

They don't make money off of benefits.

That's why they fight for the pay increases, but many get weaker healthcare and pension increase diversions.

Because those benefits don't put money into H's coffers.

image.jpeg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

most people will always take a bird in the hand.......

wait til they retire. better save save save.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Maybe others don't realize....

But, to remain a viable organization it takes money.

It has to come from somewhere.

Organizing campaigns cost money.

Most of which, will never be offset or recouped through (their) dues.

Fact of life.

Before anyone complains about the salaries of elected officials....

I don't see any of the members, standing in line, to take pay cuts.

-Bug-

10 point

I hate to be the stick in the mud here but almost all of our family's out of pocket charges went down. Way down.

I saved $800.00 on two MRIs with the new insurance plan. ( Paid $0.00 out of pocket vs $400 each in the company plan.)

My dental out of pocket was less. But
I had to change dentists and eye docs.

Rx's are just a few dollars ($2-5.00 each) which is more than before but it's not much.

Others may have different needs and their costs may be higher but I've personally been surprised with the positive changes.

The way that the C6 plan was offered to us and then enhanced was pretty much snake oil retailing. It would have been much better to spend the time in more comprehensive informational meetings from the get go versus the way this was done.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I hate to be the stick in the mud here but almost all of our family's out of pocket charges went down. Way down.

I saved $800.00 on two MRIs with the new insurance plan. ( Paid $0.00 out of pocket vs $400 each in the company plan.)

Rx's are just a few dollars ($2-5.00 each) which is more than before but it's not much.

Others may have different needs and their costs may be higher but I've personally been surprised with the positive changes.

What a shock.

A Teamster member.... performed their "due diligence" and used their benefits.

It would have been much better to spend the time in more comprehensive informational meetings from the get go versus the way this was done.

The opportunity was there.

How many, showed up.... to be involved ??

-Bug-

Spongebob1

The way that the C6 plan was offered to us and then enhanced was pretty much snake oil retailing. It would have been much better to spend the time in more comprehensive informational meetings from the get go versus the way this was done.

I had a Superior Plan,..... And I get it, ups wanted out of the Insurance,... A friend of mine retired his cost went up three hundred percent,... Another reason I'm so pissed, we have lousy negotiators that negotiated on our behalf, in my opinion who ever was on the negotiating team needs to be let go!!! ........js

10 point

What a shock.

A Teamster member.... performed their "due diligence" and used their benefits.

The opportunity was there.

How many, showed up.... to be involved ??

-Bug-
We had one meeting. I was there.
The guy (from Chicago) didn't tell the whole story about some issues and got tripped up at times. Not really a trust building event.

Also, that very day, Obama announced that he would not exempt our plan. More bad news.

The meeting, if I remember correctly, was AFTER our Rider was shot down the first time displaying more poor planning and communication from the leadership and that wasn't the member's fault.
I had a Superior Plan,..... And I get it, ups wanted out of the Insurance,... A friend of mine retired his cost went up three hundred percent,... Another reason I'm so :censored2:, we have lousy negotiators that negotiated on our behalf, in my opinion who ever was on the negotiating team needs to be let go!!! ........js
The guy leading our meeting told us that one day the "gray hairs" may be on their own after retirement.
At that point one of our soon to be retired members just got up and walked out.

Spongebob1

We had one meeting. I was there.
The guy (from Chicago) didn't tell the whole story about some issues and got tripped up at times. Not really a trust building event.

Also, that very day, Obama announced that he would not exempt our plan. More bad news.

The meeting, if I remember correctly, was AFTER our Rider was shot down the first time displaying more poor planning and communication from the leadership and that wasn't the member's fault.

The guy leading our meeting told us that one day the "gray hairs" may be on their own after retirement.
At that point one of our soon to be retired members just got up and walked out.

I feel we have to stand up for our retirees,...they paved the way for us, they fought years for us, ask Leadbelly the amount of money he makes, but don't ask a part-timer,..... I'm not happy about losing my Superior Plan,... I'm not happy about the four yr progression,... I feel like our leadership and our negotiating team needs to be gone! .... My opinion,

Last edited:

10 point

I feel we have to stand up for our retirees,...they paved the way for us, the fought years for us, ask Leadbelly the amount of money he makes, but don't ask a part-timer,..... I'm not happy about losing my Superior Plan,... I'm not happy about the four yr progression,... I feel like our leadership and our negotiating team needs to be gone! .... My opinion,
How do you get part timers to vote if they won't even show up for work?

How many Bubbleheads are there in each building that fight for members and to better their locals?

The retirees that paved the way for us had backbone. Look around and tell me how many members have attitudes that say it's about us, not just aboit me?

Apathy is the only cancer that will in the end kill a union and neither TeamCare nor the Superior Company Plan can cure that disease.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

How many Bubbleheads are there in each building that fight for members and to better their locals?

The retirees that paved the way for us had backbone. Look around and tell me how many members have attitudes that say it's about us, not just about me?

Apathy is the only cancer that will in the end, kill a union. And neither TeamCare nor the Superior Company Plan can cure that disease.

Oops....

10 point is (finally) having a Teamster epiphany. :biggrin:

Let's move on from here, together.

(minus the TDU goofballs)

-Bug-

Spongebob1

The retirees that paved the way for us had backbone. Look around and tell me how many members have attitudes that say it's about us, not just aboit me?

Apathy is the only cancer that will in the end kill a union and neither TeamCare nor the Superior Company Plan can cure that disease.

I've said many times, it's the me,me,me generation, and I don't know how to change that, I've always worked hard never had a hand out, but you are right, how do you get the young ones and part-timers to vote, if they don't show up to work,....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe others don't realize....

But, to remain a viable organization it takes money.

It has to come from somewhere.

Organizing campaigns cost money.

Most of which, will never be offset or recouped through (their) dues.

Fact of life.

Before anyone complains about the salaries of elected officials....

I don't see any of the members, standing in line, to take pay cuts.

-Bug-
So what gains have the Teamsters incurred, since 2001 when the dues were increased, in regards to organizing?

Teamsters%20Membership%20Graph_zpsruxqtlfn.png

Wouldn't you think a 25% increase in dues would have provided an uptick in membership, if it was necessary for "organizing campaigns"?

10 point

Hundreds showed up at my local, and it was a blood bath for incumbents tasked to sell the "lemon".
We were called 'over paid crybabies" even as Jimmy Hof, Jr's ltr to King Obama acknowledged that our plans were not sustainable and as he was being reminded that our union campaigned door to door for him.

No matter what we did we were wrong in some folks eyes.

I remember walking out of the Healthcare meeting as the BA was telling us that he "wished that he had those benefits".

I told him he was in luck. UPS was getting ready to hire an off the street person and he could come, get some browns on and qualify to have the same enhanced pkg as we were getting...
but all I got back was a dirty look.

It's not always what you say but often how and if you present the issues that makes or breaks deals, gets your point across.

Communication (good) saves money and time. We need a lot more of it earlier next time around.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We were called 'over paid crybabies" even as Jimmy Hof, Jr's ltr to King Obama acknowledged that our plans were not sustainable and as he was being reminded that our union campaigned door to door for him.

No matter what we did we were wrong in some folks eyes.

I remember walking out of the Healthcare meeting as the BA was telling us that he "wished that he had those benefits".

I told him he was in luck. UPS was getting ready to hire an off the street person and he could come, get some browns on and qualify to have the same enhanced pkg as we were getting...
but all I got back was a dirty look.

It's not always what you say but often how and if you present the issues that makes or breaks deals and gets your point across.

Communication (good) saves money and time. We need a lot more of it earlier next time around.
Yep, being an "unwitting martyr" is an oxymoron.

Many members in my local are still figuring that out.

It was a classic example of slight of hand.

MojaveJim

I've been saying this for years. I agree with Bubblehead over progression, 9.5 language, technology and Surepost. I'll be retiring in a few months and the huge increase in healthcare premiums almost caused me to delay retirement. It would be in the unions best interest if more of us worked longer. Less paid out in healthcare and pensions. Maybe that's the long term plan. What's going to happen in the next contract? The union will offer another round of $.70-$1.00 raises. Our younger drivers and part timers will jump all over it. Everyone loves a good raise, but you got to give something to get something. Maybe our part timers should start paying in dues what our full time drivers are paying, if they want 1 full vote. That's something the IBT could get on board with, more dues money! The vast majority of them will never make a career at UPS and the union knows it.