Healthcare cost raised for the retired

Spongebob1

I here you all, and I really feel bad for some of our teamsters that are in "orphan plans" I know a guy that's in his seventies and he says his pension is getting cut 65%,.... I see "worry" all over his face, it's up to all of us to help and fight for them, they did for us years ago,... I just feel Hof don't give a crap and he threw them all under the bus! "Just my opinion,"

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Put yourself in our shoes for a minute. You put in your 25-30 years. You put your papers in to retire after discussing with UPS what your benefit package is going to be..Believing when THEY ( Human Resources) explains to you that your cost per month is going to be $50.00 per month till age 65 (prior to my retirement I was told to switch to a new medical plan so you will have dental and eye coverage as long as you are on the NEW plan at least 4 years prior to your retirement) and MY COST would be $50.00 per month.
Then all of a sudden bait and switch comes into play. Do you honestly think that is fair to anyone? maybe someday you will get a sour taste in your mouth like us retirees did. If anything......they should of just grandfathered us in, but no that would make to much sense.
i agree with you Milkman. We get lied to all of our lives. from every corner. outside of work and inside. even if it's in writing there are ways around everything. there is no such thing as black and white. i can remember when a handshake was good enough.

i always believe the worse anymore and make sure i have some back up plan. we maxed out the 401k and IRA's every year. paid off the house and all other debt very early. we tried to have all our ducks in a row before retiring and even budgeted extra for unforeseen medical and other costs.

so why are we always waiting for the other shoe to drop. you know there are people out there always trying to separate you from your security ( money ).

The Milkman

i agree with you Milkman. We get lied to all of our lives. from every corner. outside of work and inside. even if it's in writing there are ways around everything. there is no such thing as black and white. i can remember when a handshake was good enough.

i always believe the worse anymore and make sure i have some back up plan. we maxed out the 401k and IRA's every year. paid off the house and all other debt very early. we tried to have all our ducks in a row before retiring and even budgeted extra for unforeseen medical and other costs.

so why are we always waiting for the other shoe to drop. you know there are people out there always trying to separate you from your security ( money ).

Yes many lies spewed from and down from anyone in management, It's always been a shell game and or smoke and mirrors. Numbers, Numbers,Numbers. I remember feeling somewhat appreciated for the job I did before UPS went public. Now sadly we have become just Numbers. Even with the added costs thrust upon me I am still able to stay afloat, because I did leave Jersey and all the high costs of living there and now I am in Arizona. So I am still comfortable, in fact another center driver that I worked with retired and lives now about 5 miles from me now, closer than we lived in Jersey. Just like many in the same boat as I am in now, the planning of retirement and the decisions we made prior to hanging it up, the many "If's" we thought about concerning our retirements were based on what WE were told by UPS, what we would expect to receive once we retired in the form of our benefits package and the monthly cost, along with prescriptions factored in the mix. This reminds me of what our native Americans went through years ago when The government promised them this and that only to go back on their word to them, They gave up their land, were moved around, shuffled and abused by Big Brother. The word 'Forked Tongue" spoken to them is how UPS talked to us, knowing well that the lower ones on the totem pole at UPS had to Lie to us, or as you know............Their heads would be on the so called chopping block, by either being transferred out of state, put on midnight sorts with no chance of advancement down the road, and or fired by the Chief's in charge while planning and putting on their war paint to battle those who oppose them...

Inthegame

Is this a benefit he enjoys "locally", or are these other posters misinformed as to their benefit level.
Brownie has stated his union run plan continues at medicare age. I have limited knowledge of what plans "other posters" have as this is an anonymous forum. But it appears some posters are underinformed as to what they think they "know".
I do know I've read every SPD and union contract language pertaining to my H&W and have never seen any rates guaranteed past the term of the current agreement and normally see plans giving discretion to the trustees during the term.
Maybe a few posters should have taken the time to read and learn before they retired and before they call others idiots.
But remember "Who da cap fit, let dem wear it..."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Brownie has stated his union run plan continues at medicare age. I have limited knowledge of what plans "other posters" have as this is an anonymous forum. But it appears some posters are underinformed as to what they think they "know".
I do know I've read every SPD and union contract language pertaining to my H&W and have never seen any rates guaranteed past the term of the current agreement and normally see plans giving discretion to the trustees during the term.
Maybe a few posters should have taken the time to read and learn before they retired and before they call others idiots.
Sounds like "that word" rises to the forefront again,...autonomy?

Yet we have a "national agreement"?

The Milkman

I am not concerned about insurance post 65, our local did not offer that. I am talking about from the day I retired until I get the boot at 65. If YOU were told YOU would be paying a CERTAIN amount each month until YOU reach 65, I would assume YOU would understand that simple explanation given YOU before you turned YOUR retirement papers in.I understood it to mean until age 65 I would pay the AMOUNT told me by UPS. Any way YOU look at it, In plain English WE all got the SHAFT concerning that issue.

LagunaBrown

I am not concerned about insurance post 65, our local did not offer that. I am talking about from the day I retired until I get the boot at 65. If YOU were told YOU would be paying a CERTAIN amount each month until YOU reach 65, I would assume YOU would understand that simple explanation given YOU before you turned YOUR retirement papers in.I understood it to mean until age 65 I would pay the AMOUNT told me by UPS. Any way YOU look at it, In plain English WE all got the SHAFT concerning that issue.
The $50 company plan was around so long guys just thought it was forever or "grandfathered in". I remember hearing my shop steward say (in 2000) that it would not last forever and nobody believed him. Really, common sense tells you prices rise, consider what was the cost of a house or gas was back then? I do understand you being upset at going from $50 to paying $300 dollars a month for full family coverage but compared to other UPSers your probably not gonna find a better price around. Parlay that with peer 80 and post 65 supplemental Insurance and that is not a bad retiree package for us here in the west. (Milk I think we might have talked about this before)

The Milkman

The $50 company plan was around so long guys just thought it was forever or "grandfathered in". I remember hearing my shop steward say (in 2000) that it would not last forever and nobody believed him. Really, common sense tells you prices rise, consider what was the cost of a house or gas was back then? I do understand you being upset at going from $50 to paying $300 dollars a month for full family coverage but compared to other UPSers your probably not gonna find a better price around. Parlay that with peer 80 and post 65 supplemental Insurance and that is not a bad retiree package for us here in the west. (Milk I think we might have talked about this before)

I was told everything from HR people. Our local had no peer 80 or supplemental insurance after 65 which I know many locals do have. I am only paying $150.00 for myself. Others in my old Local that retired a couple of years ago are getting hit harder than me. At least I got 7 years of the $50.00 payment I was told I would have to pay. Those recently that hung it up thinking like I did about their monthly cost for medical are the ones I feel for at this time. I understand different Locals have a variety of plans, and I know our Local was one of the best. Too bad every Local did not have the type of benefits we had. The benefits we worked for are being chipped away contract after contract. I get the boot next May, Those following me and yourself are the ones I feel for. I know as yourself the beating we take on the road and the mental stress that goes along with wearing browns. We all earned those hard fought benefits which now as we are older need them to fix our somewhat broken bodies, I never thought back in my 30's about how I would feel now. Age creeps up on all of us. Our quality of life depends on possible future medical care that we can fall back on if and when you retire well before 65 like I did. I am sure UPS could afford to keep up the medical benefits for retirees that we expected at the time of our retirement, Some of us die before 65, and others make it to 65,and a new round of retirees will get their negotiated benefits voted on before they hang it up. retirees for the most part get 10 years of benefits, so when we die off the newbies will have to deal with their costs at that time. And the cycle repeats itself over and over.

Last edited:

Spongebob1

The benefits we worked for are being chipped away contract after contract.

Exactly,... It looks like I'm gonna be working longer if this old body of mine holds up,.. Not what I thought would happen six yrs ago,.... We got to support one another and try to educate the younger and newer people,... Try to encourage them to vote and take this Union seriously,.. I'm hearing people say "I didn't get a ballot" or it's just the "convention" I respond in saying did you contact your local, and I hear " I didn't have time" or I thought I had more time to vote, It's up setting to see more people just take these delegate elections as unimportant,.... :(

Exactly,... It looks like I'm gonna be working longer if this old body of mine holds up,.. Not what I thought would happen six yrs ago,.... We got to support one another and try to educate the younger and newer people,... Try to encourage them to vote and take this Union seriously,.. I'm hearing people say "I didn't get a ballot" or it's just the "convention" I respond in saying did you contact your local, and I hear " I didn't have time" or I thought I had more time to vote, It's up setting to see more people just take these delegate elections as unimportant,.... :(
Blame all the lazy teamsters who didn't vote.
It's BS

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Brownie is an Idiot. I hear ya loud and clear. I was told like you that it would be $50.00 a month till age 65, as Gomer Pyle would say SURPRISE,SURPRISE,SURPRISE. Brownie will get his in due time. This is not a laughing matter, but to some who have even an ounce of intelligence left in their feeble brains would have to agree that what the current members did by accepting a subpar contract, has left all us and FUTURE retirees hung out to dry
Let me shed a tear for you having to pay $150 a month for health insurance after only having to pay $50 for seven years.
Brownie is not an idiot! He is in my local and upon retiring, we will be paying $450 plus a month to retain our healthcare coverage. $300 a month for us would be a wet dream!

oldngray

nowhere special
Cooking steaks right now.
Mac people.jpg

oldupsman

Let me shed a tear for you having to pay $150 a month for health insurance after only having to pay $50 for seven years.
Brownie is not an idiot! He is in my local and upon retiring, we will be paying $450 plus a month to retain our healthcare coverage. $300 a month for us would be a wet dream!

And how long will Brownie's health care remain at $450 a month? Does he know? What has he been promised? Is he prepared for
it go up to $700 a month? $1000 a month? And once he is retired does he realize he will no say whatsoever in how much it increases?
How does one plan for retirement if one has no idea when certain costs may be. I'll bet when Brownies health care goes from $450 a month to
$1000 a month and he has nothing to say about it he'll be just as unhappy as I am.