Healthcare if retiring before 55...

Vette51

If you retire a few months before 55 and have no healthcare for a couple months, can you still pickup retiree healthcare at 55 ?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If you retire a few months before 55 and have no healthcare for a couple months, can you still pickup retiree healthcare at 55 ?

If you are willing to shell out 750 a week for Cobra, be my guest. I think that once you turn age 55 with the eligible service time for retirement you will be covered. Why risk it though?

oldngray

nowhere special
Some plans cover you if you retire before 55 but depends on the local. Calling the union seldom helps since they have trouble understanding the difference between UPS and other Teamsters. And I agree Cobra is a last choice option because of the cost.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What local? In my local, if you have full service years in, the answer is yes.

Shiftless

When I retired it was a one shot deal!!! You either had the time or didn't get the insurance! No chance of sliding in later.

ski or die

Ski or Die
In my Local, when you attained 30 years of service, you could retire at any age and receive pension and insurance. I bailed at 49 because it was not a healthy situation and retiring early relieving much of the stress would add years to my life. But the booklet they gave upon retirement stated $50 per month for the insurance, which eventually was increased to $150. So much for the promise the booklet made. But still right decision health wise.

ManInBrown

In my Local, when you attained 30 years of service, you could retire at any age and receive pension and insurance. I bailed at 49 because it was not a healthy situation and retiring early relieving much of the stress would add years to my life. But the booklet they gave upon retirement stated $50 per month for the insurance, which eventually was increased to $150. So much for the promise the booklet made. But still right decision health wise.
Just curious retiring at age 49, did you get another job? PT job?

Shiftless

Just curious retiring at age 49, did you get another job? PT job?
I myself have been gone 16 years. My plan was never to work again! So far so good!

"Americans have an overall life expectancy of 78.7 years, according to the report. Women fare better than men, with higher life expectancies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Overall, women in the US can expect to live 81.2 years, while men can expect to live 76.2 years."

Its all personal choice!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When I retired my family was covered for two months before I had to start paying premiums. Would guess it would count on your local though.

We have to have peer 80 and have to be 52 years old to get health care in retirement where I'm at.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In the Southern Region if you retire before 55 you can indeed get it when you reach 55. I retired at 55 to avoid a lapse