Heat in package car

10veleze

In Florida a female UPS driver complained to the news about no A/C in the package cars. She said that she is been admitted to the ER 3 times because of heat exhaustion.

Well I'm a cover driver and sometimes the heat sucks, but if you drink plenty water before, during and after work the heat is not going to be a problem, that is my case. Any driver from Texas, Arizona? I would like to see how you manage the heat, because I know the temp over there is between 100-107 degrees daily.

Here is the full story.
UPS driver fed up with trucks that don't have A/C - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News

J

jibbs

In Florida a female UPS driver complained to the news about no A/C in the package cars. She said that she is been admitted to the ER 3 times because of heat exhaustion.

Well I'm a cover driver and sometimes the heat sucks, but if you drink plenty water before, during and after work the heat is not going to be a problem, that is my case. Any driver from Texas, Arizona? I would like to see how you manage the heat, because I know the temp over there is between 100-107 degrees daily.

Here is the full story.
UPS driver fed up with trucks that don't have A/C - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News

Heat exhaustion's no joke. I had a little ER rendezvous last summer while I was working in an auto shop. You think 105 is bad? Try working underneath the hood of cars that are running all day in that 105 degree heat. 105 outside easily translates to 125+ working bottomside and even under the hood (and that's a truly conservative figure.)

Those package cars are SWELTERING come the end of preload when the temp's lately only reaching maybe 75. I'm not sure how effective the windows are in cooling the truck down but I could easily see someone getting a little heat sick driving for UPS all day, especially if they don't take preventative measures to keep themselves cool and hydrated.

curiousbrain

Heat exhaustion's no joke. I had a little ER rendezvous last summer while I was working in an auto shop. You think 105 is bad? Try working underneath the hood of cars that are running all day in that 105 degree heat. 105 outside easily translates to 125+ working bottomside and even under the hood (and that's a truly conservative figure.)

Those package cars are SWELTERING come the end of preload when the temp's lately only reaching maybe 75. I'm not sure how effective the windows are in cooling the truck down but I could easily see someone getting a little heat sick driving for UPS all day, especially if they don't take preventative measures to keep themselves cool and hydrated.

The SPC metric accounts for heat stroke, so you be quiet.

stink219

For big stops in 100 degrees I make sure to open front and back. I had a doctor hand me a few next days at the back, he felt the heat and said that its extremely unhealthy to work in that. But upstate is correct, the amount of time we spend in the back is minimal to have a/c. Even if we did, how effective do you think it will be?

oldngray

nowhere special
If you get overheated, just take a break and drink some water to cool down. Or so UPS will say in PCM's. And I agree a/c is pointless but UPS refusing to install little vent fans is a serious issue. At one time if you wrote it up as safety they would be forced to install a fan but now they refuse to do even that much.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No one talks about humidity where sweating does absolutely no good to help regulate body temp. When the heat and humidity go up, so does my paid day.

I'd also like to mention to check your and make sure your heater is turned off. In my old truck it was so loud, I couldn't tell it was on. Also check your fresh air inflow is turned to cool, not heat, as even passive airflow will be heated otherwise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For big stops in 100 degrees I make sure to open front and back. I had a doctor hand me a few next days at the back, he felt the heat and said that its extremely unhealthy to work in that. But upstate is correct, the amount of time we spend in the back is minimal to have a/c. Even if we did, how effective do you think it will be?

I agree a/c isn't practical but it shouldn't take a genius to develop a well ventilated package area.

When the heat index is 105+ I shouldn't feel the air smack me in the face when I open the bulk head.

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree a/c isn't practical but it shouldn't take a genius to develop a well ventilated package area.

When the heat index is 105+ I shouldn't feel the air smack me in the face when I open the bulk head.

Vents to let the hot air out of cargo area is frequently mentioned but always ignored. One of those little things that shows the people designing package cars had no real world experience.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No one talks about humidity where sweating does absolutely no good to help regulate body temp. When the heat and humidity go up, so does my paid day.

Being from the southern Midwest I never understood "dry heat". Well last year we got some. 104-107 for a few weeks with almost no humidity.

Ill take that any day over 95 with 90% humidity. I believe hank said it best " that hot old summer sun. Will make you beg for your next breath"

HomeDelivery

i knelt down on the metal floor in one of those stepvans & got a singe similar to touching a hot exhaust pipe :/

over here at purple, some contractors purchased the ole DHL vans that have a vent from the front of the vehicle to the cargo area ~ helped a little.

no wonder you see FX Ground & HD guys driving around with their bulkhead door open

i got the pleasure of driving the newer Ford E450 utilimaster stepvans ~ they have AC! but that company neglected to vent the cargo area ~ at least its an aluminum floor/shelves so they're a bit more forgiving

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Our Fedex bretheren here in AZ have a/c and it seems to work for them just fine. When I was in Package I had a digital thermometer that measured the temp in the cab and in the package compartment. During most of summer it would hit 140 degrees by 10 a.m. and sit there all day. OSHA complaints have been filed in AZ and are working their way through the system in that especially slow way.

If you're having trouble with the heat, follow OSHA safe work guidelines:

Attachments

• TABLE III.pdf
    174.7 KB · Views: 214

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sort in the shade with both doors open if possible and keep everything sorted to your 1k or 2k shelf so all you have to do is reach in, grab package and close door. Easy peasy, no heat exhaustion.

And drink plenty of water all day long. If you get to the point where your thirsty then you aren't drinking enough water.