Heat in package car

J

jibbs

Maybe not,but a small fan somewhere in the cab wouldn't hurt. And I don't want to hear about how much it would cost. They can put all kinds of other BS in our trucks if it benefits THEM.

Speaking of fans, there's been a lot of random talk about preloaders bringing our own fans onto the belt I've recently been moved to. I think most people are just bitching to bitch, but I also think a Vornado would be a Godsend during the summer in my center.

I plan on talking to my new supervisor about it tomorrow morning but, before I do, is there any reason to think I may not be allowed to bring in a small, powerful and relatively silent portable fan into the preload with me? (I can make a new thread about this if need be, I just figured it'd be best to keep similar topics grouped together. My apologies if anybody feels I'm derailing the thread with this post.)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Speaking of fans, there's been a lot of random talk about preloaders bringing our own fans onto the belt I've recently been moved to. I think most people are just bitching to bitch, but I also think a Vornado would be a Godsend during the summer in my center.

I plan on talking to my new supervisor about it tomorrow morning but, before I do, is there any reason to think I may not be allowed to bring in a small, powerful and relatively silent portable fan into the preload with me? (I can make a new thread about this if need be, I just figured it'd be best to keep similar topics grouped together. My apologies if anybody feels I'm derailing the thread with this post.)

I have my doubts. Somebody in management will probably complain about using UPS electricity at the very least.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I found LT's hat in his vehicle. It's how he keeps cool.

Promotional-Solar-fan-cap-Solar-fan-hat-adult-solar-cap-Fan-cap-Free-shipping.jpg

J

jibbs

I have my doubts. Somebody in management will probably complain about using UPS electricity at the very least.

Yeah, I've thought of that.... but, I mean, there's gotta be two electrical outlets for every 6 trucks or so on my new belt for a reason, right? I honestly can't imagine what purpose they provide other than allowing loaders to plug in during the shift... That might be narrow-minded of me but it's really all I can think of. Everything that's officially UPS property and needs to hold a charge does it's charging in an office in my center-- I've actually never seen anything plugged in outside of the office other than a flat screen on the wall near security that seldom plays (what seems like) UPS corporate videos on safety and stretching, and the several computers scattered around the building. I saw the weather forecast on the TV once, but only once. More often than not the thing's just a blank screen to stare at next to a clock.

oldngray

nowhere special

We had big fans set up to blow towards preloaders and others around sorters. They made a big difference. It doesn't take much air movement to be noticeably cooler.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You didn't hear this from me, but if your preload has a boxline setup there are poles in between the boxlines that support the whole track. There are usually electrical outlets on those poles. 18 years ago when I was on preload we had a radio right under the boxline at the point where it started to rise to the sort aisle and we had an extension cord ran to one of those outlets. But like I said, you didn't hear it from me.

UPS Preloader

Most centers will tell you NO as the cords are tripping hazards.

balland chain

This company will do NOTHING to make our jobs more comfortable..Is it possible to make a package car that is ventilated, I am sure there is. But even if it were free this company will not do it, they make this job as hard, uncomfortable, and unpleasant as possible on purpose..

Indecisi0n

This company will do NOTHING to make our jobs more comfortable..Is it possible to make a package car that is ventilated, I am sure there is. But even if it were free this company will not do it, they make this job as hard, uncomfortable, and unpleasant as possible on purpose..
I honestly feel the same way.

rod

Retired 22 years

Why should they care----its nice and cool in the office after the trucks leave the barn. They have to keep all that computer crap cool you know.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I did over 200 stops a day in pants,and it was a mixed rte bus and house calls and it sucked, but we all got thru it !! I remember the COD cash being stuck in my pocket from the sweat that was gross !!! When we were first offered shorts I think we had to pay about $90 for two pairs and the socks ! I have seen a 135 degrees in that package car, wasn't pretty !!!!

WESLA

It is what it is
Our Fedex bretheren here in AZ have a/c and it seems to work for them just fine. When I was in Package I had a digital thermometer that measured the temp in the cab and in the package compartment. During most of summer it would hit 140 degrees by 10 a.m. and sit there all day. OSHA complaints have been filed in AZ and are working their way through the system in that especially slow way.

If you're having trouble with the heat, follow OSHA safe work guidelines:
I believe UPS gets the DART frequency from OSHA. So why can't they get drivers workloads from OSHA? Hmmm... I'd like to know how many employees go down for some kind of heat illness every summer. It's gotta be a large number.

tom19382

At our building, we are lucky enough to have a newer Dodge Caravan that I occasionally get to drive to deliver Airs or EAMs. Those fans come standard from the factory with A/C. When we first got it, I noticed an invoice in the glove compartment from some company they sent it to to have the radio, A/C, and passenger side airbag removed. There is still a button on the climate controls that says A/C, but it has been painted over with black paint and no longer functions. Like someone mentioned earlier, even if they could make our job more comfortable for free, they wouldn't do it....they even paid someone to make it worse in this case!