Heat issues with tattoos.

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by East coast navy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. East coast navy

East coast navy Veteran

Local 177 has problems with tattoos and two guys past out yesterday that have them. They were covered pants and long sleeves.
  2. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Local 177 has this problem with tattoos or UPS does?
  3. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Call OSHA. What is the appearance standards say?
  4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The guy who used to run the route next to mine had obscene tattoos (he had them before he got hired). They offended customers so he had to keep them covered even in 100 degree weather. It was his own fault for getting those tattoos and then expect to work in a job where you meet the public.
  5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I would say the guys that have the tattoos have the problem.
  6. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

I thought only tough guys had tattoos?
  7. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

They have breathable sleeves you can buy to cover forearms or calves.
  8. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

There was a time we only had long pants, we made it though Summer months with no problem........
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

And a lot less SPOH.
  10. ikoi62

ikoi62 Member

Local 177 does not have a problem with tattoos...the company does. when i was hired 28 years ago i was told to keep them covered and i have to this day.if they got them after they got hired they should have known better then to get them where they could be seen.
  11. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Has anyone read the appearance standards besides me?

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Mechanics are required to be clean shaven apart from a moustache no lower than the corners of the mouth. We work at night, are generally not seen by customers, and covered in dirt. Go figure.
  13. Why not wear short sleeves with a skin color patch(s) to cover it/them? Or is that not allowed?

Hyde Ink, LLC
  14. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Our guys don't cover theirs but then again I haven't seen anyone with anything offensive. Folks are free to tat up but be prepared to cover up if they tell you. Weigh what's most important.
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Patches that cover the tats are allowed. As long as they are covered if offensive.
  16. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Our Local says if UPS knew you had the tattoos before they hired you it's their problem, not the Drivers, but obscene might be pushing it.
  17. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

He probably wore a long sleeve shirt or didn't flash his tats. And if he worked inside it wouldn't be an issue until he went driving and appearance mattered.
  18. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

Guess my Two Girls One Cup tattoo idea is officially on hold. :(
  19. bigblu 2 you

bigblu 2 you Active Member

guy gets some offensive tatts.guy gets a job at ups. guy has to cover up offensive tatts. guy has heat stroke from covering up tatts.dont get tatts that have to be covered up.
  20. Justaname

Justaname Member

I have a lot of tattoos, but you can't see one in shorts or t shirt.