Heavy packages

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Klein posted on another thread

Never handle over 70lbs by yourself !

That reminded me of a conversation I had a few years back.

UPS has the policy of never taking on an over 70 by yourself. Get help, right? Anything over 70 pounds needs two people.

What happens if the package is 150 pounds? That means the two people are actually handling 75 pounds each, which is against UPS policy, and against safety regulations.

So do we call in a third employee to aid in the movement of the package?

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That is how it used to be.

NOW we are to ask for help from the customer or use existing equipment (AKA HANDCART). Another example of how UPS treats us like robots because we get paid a higher rate than our supervisors.

klein

Für Meno :)
Oh come on, give me a break, when was the last time that someone went out and helped you deliver a Boflex?

Bowflex, thats easy compared to a quad in a box !
I rolled that sucker on all 8 corners to the front door across the lawn... DR. Won't fit on a cart, the box is as big as a washmachine.
Weight is 250 lbs or more.
And Costco furniture, those darn desks, and cabinets... also huge and heavy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The last time I had to deal with (let me rephrase that-the last time I dealt with) getting help on over 70's I was less than pleased with the results. This was a p/u, upstairs, no elevator, ladies only present (no help there), was told early in the day. 2 over 70's (high val's) and I called it in to have help on scene at the scheduled P/U time. First of all, the help wasn't there and when I called and BITCHED about it, I was told I had to wait for someone to come from across town. I sat and waited 20 mins (during p/u's) and when the driver got there (a guy) he went off (imagine that), you need help with this, na na na na na na ....................:censored2:. That was the last time. since then I have made due with help from the customers. I have no problem telling a customer to have the 'guys' get out and help. :surprised:

tourists24

NOW we are to ask for help from the customer or use existing equipment (AKA HANDCART). Another example of how UPS treats us like robots because we get paid a higher rate than our supervisors.
You do not have to ask for help from a customer under any circumstance. The contract is very clear in the master agreement

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
You do not have to ask for help from a customer under any circumstance. The contract is very clear in the master agreement

I agree. Some customers are worse help than no help. Had a driver get a back injury while a customer, who is not trained how to handle packages, attempted to help and then let go because it was out of their 'comfort zone'.
Get help from an hourly ups employee, or roll it yourself.
As for 150 pounds issue, its a good point. Also we sometimes get the occasional 160 - 170 lb pkg. We have no idea what exact weight is on delivery. Contractually we are not specifically forbidden though its ups policy. I imagine they would just reword policy if push came to shove. Isn't that what they always do?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

The point of the matter is that

A) You are delivering it to them and they want to make sure it gets brought inside or that it doesn't get dropped as I lug it off the car.

B) It is getting picked up and they want to make sure It's in the car and out of their hair.

Regardless what the contract states, the customer (for the most part) will give you a hand. All other situations, you drop it off the car and let them deal with it or drag it to the car and plop it in the back.

evilleace

I work inside so I can get help if it is to heavy over 120 I get help. 70-120 pulled off of belt and rolled inside the car.

Bowflex, thats easy compared to a quad in a box !
I rolled that sucker on all 8 corners to the front door across the lawn... DR. Won't fit on a cart, the box is as big as a washmachine.
Weight is 250 lbs or more.
And Costco furniture, those darn desks, and cabinets... also huge and heavy.

You must use miniture carts. Our carts can wheel washing machines.

satellitedriver

Never !!!!!!
will I ask for, or accept, help with a pkg, from a customer.
Most driver do, but, I will not place myself into the liability lawsuit that could occur.
Granted, UPS would have to pay all the legal fees, but, I want to have no part in any of it.
Long ago and far away, this issue was directly addressed in the negotiated contract, when the weight limit went from 70 to 150lbs.
My, My.
How time changes things.

Eclipz

Because of a good relationship with fellow drivers near my del. area I do get help from them when I'm having a heavy pick up but I don't think they would come if I need help for a delivery. I'm not even taking such heavy packages with me if I'm not certain of getting help from the receiver. I'll have it removed from my car before taking off. Let it be UPS's problem, not mine.

Diego

Saftey first unless it causes UPS a problem. They preach saftey and then want you to just do it. Bottom line is you need to keep yourself healthy. Most of the drivers never ask for help here, but when you do, you have to call and get permission and that is BS they always say ask customer use your dolley. That is union work call and make them send help. I worked an extended area for a while and we would just call each other and help out with heavy packages or grab a few stops if someone was heavy. That all stopped when they said call and ask first, so everybody just did their job and went back.

trenjct

Ha! I've got the worst back in the center, but it's always me that gets the over 70s. Load/Unload. Doesn't matter. In fact, the person in front of me can't lift anything over 40 basically. Wrong or not, I will on principle, never ask for help, nor do I want it. My job; my burden to bear. Good old Catholic school doctrine. I will gladly help others, though, if asked or expected of me. My body may ache, but my conscience has finally bonused!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Heffe

That is nice. But the customer has paid for inside the door delivery. Dumping it out of the truck into the street or the drive is not what they paid us for. Its also not very professional.

Get help. That is your job. Its not your problem that it takes a while for you to get that help.

Dill, That waiting you did.......thats the companies problem, not yours. I know that there are many times that the driver can figure out a way to get it done without help, but if help is needed, the company has the obligation to send it. Both because of the promise to the customer, and the contract.

I do find the post about packages heavier than 150 pounds interesting.

I had a couple that came in from overseas. Weighed 149 kg. Came in air. I liked to have never got them out of the truck and on the dock. Would have taken 5 guys to be legal, but the packages were not large enough for even two to get a good hold on them.

I guess weight limits do not apply to international shipments?

d

City Driver

i once had to take every single skid off of one side of the trailer with a pallet jack and a liftgate just to get to something in the nose that was 250 lbs, i was in the customers parking lot and was told it was on the rear of the trailer....that was fun