heavy volume!!!!!

S

splozi

I'm noticing that in both package and on sorts. I don't know where it's coming from but the work is there. I'm also seeing the high volume run with minimal employees which is creating quite a bit of a stir.

My center was hiring new people like crazy the other week.

I've seen some hiring but only about 2-3 actually stay after a week. This job is no cake walk by no means. Turnover rate is always horrible, especially when the temperature starts to rise when they hire.

anonymous4

Kids today don't want to work--they want to start at the top and make top $$$ but don't want to work for it.

If you had your way there would be no top, or the top would be significantly less than your top.

Volume was high this past Monday, it was run understaffed. That is the norm though. The same people responsible for staffing are the ones throwing tantrums when the place is a mess all night. I guess it is better to have a heart attack @ 55 over being talked to by the man above you for not under staffing properly. Seems like it's an art form now. On and on we go.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
UPS always eats their own (management) They get numbers from corporate that have little basis in reality. They spend WAY too much money on safety. The amount spent to the amount saved is waaaaay off. They don't have a culture of safety. The employees don't really care. Some do. Most don't. I do. But it's hard for me to get on board with shoes that cover my ankle when my part timer is wearing the same shoes as me...yet I get railed at for it. Far too many inconsistencies. Case in point...there's a new (to us) training packet for previous injuries/accidents. It's a six week timetable with a weekly meeting with the wellness person. I don't have a problem with that...but I have a problem with the title...I don't have the exact title but the word profitability is in it. If you're stressing safety, profitability completely undermines the safety attitude. It is true that injuries dig into profits...but you're putting the profit ahead of the safety. It undermines the message.

U

uber

I was serving our country while you were taking naps in kindergarten. I was a casual for 11 months, worked nights stocking shelves in a grocery store and delivered auto parts on the days I wasn't driving.

You're older than me, congrats. I went to school and worked 2 jobs and I'm still waiting for my chance at a piece of the pie. You started employment at a time of economic growth. I'm stuck looking for my FT chance in a recession.

Grouping a generation as lazy and not wanting to wait is silly when you were essentially given a silver spoon with the company. But, continue with the mis-characterizations.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I feel your pain, zags. I remember when I graduated, a woman couldn't get hired at UPS;even though 10 out of the 32 drivers at the building are from General Brown(my alma mater).
You had to fight to get a job at Fay's.

Don't worry. You'll get there. ;)

menotyou

bella amicizia
Silver spoon? Hardly.
In the essence that you didn't have to work the normal allotment of years on the inside before getting the driving job, you did get it much easier. You pension has has FT contributions, you have been paid top rate for how many years? You work in the bubble of goodness. Really? Yeah, you have been given a silver spoon. Nice, Zags!

U

uber

Silver spoon? Hardly.

I'd say getting hired off the street isn't paying your dues with the company. I don't have a problem with off the street hires. Kudos to you. What I do have a problem is when off the street hires stick up their nose to us that have been long time PT'ers and characterize us as expecting instant rewards within the company.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Silver spoon? Hardly.

Compared to many, myself included, silver spoon definitely.
Like you I did a slint in the military, followed by 8 yrs of part time at UPS and other jobs including delivering car parts.
Never stocked groceries, but normally had at least three W2's at tax time.
One year I had six.
In 1986, starting at $8/hr was pretty good money.
Add in benefits and it was damn good.
Now $8.50 an hour, no benefits for a year (18 months for dependants), not so good.
Not sure how anybody could match the fortitude it took for me to go full time.
Your ride was considerably easier than most at UPS.
Get off your high horse Nancy.
And get that silver spoon and your foot out of your mouth.