Heff Driver Poll

What do you do when you arrive at the clerk ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
On Monday, 2 huge boxes (tire + rim) are attempted at apartment, no one home NI1.
Tuesday, the other 2 join them so now 4 huge tires, no one home, 2 NI1 + 2 NI2.
Wednesday, no one home again so now 2 NI3 + 2 NI2. What do you do when you get in ?

Luckily, the 4 boxes were SDWC an hour before I got back to the building. It's that gray line between procedure and common sense that keeps the best drivers guessing everyday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The common sense thing would have been to pull all 4 tires.

The methods would have been to pull just 2 of the tires and reattempt the other 2.

I would have pulled all 4.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would have left all 4 with the clerk.
1) It's not the customer's fault they were separated in delivery
2) Why make the customer work to get his other 2 tires since he had to pick up at the building anyways.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Technically speaking, the other two were NI 2's, but I would make "an error" and scan them as NI 3's, to keep them all together.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I would have left all 4 with the clerk.
1) It's not the customer's fault they were separated in delivery
2) Why make the customer work to get his other 2 tires since he had to pick up at the building anyways.

What you say makes sense and I would probably do the same but remember the customer is the shipper not the consignee and the customer paid for 3 attempts.

One could also ask, why make him pick up 4 when policy dictates he should only have to pick up 2?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Technically speaking, the other two were NI 2's, but I would make "an error" and scan them as NI 3's, to keep them all together.

Last week I had a call tag for an area that had been cut from my route the previous day. I didn't look at the back of the tag and sheeted the call tag as NR1. When I went to fill in the back I saw that it had been attempted the previous day. Within an hour I got an ODS directing me to void and resheet as NR2, which was what I should have done in the first place.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What you say makes sense and I would probably do the same but remember the customer is the shipper not the consignee and the customer paid for 3 attempts.

One could also ask, why make him pick up 4 when policy dictates he should only have to pick up 2?
Kind of shows how the simplest procedure can be twisted by every driver's POV. There really is no wrong answer.
Last week I had a call tag for an area that had been cut from my route the previous day. I didn't look at the back of the tag and sheeted the call tag as NR1. When I went to fill in the back I saw that it had been attempted the previous day. Within an hour I got an ODS directing me to void and resheet as NR2, which was what I should have done in the first place.
WOW, talk about Big Brother watching you. The only time I had a request like that is when I sheeted a call tag NR1 between 12-1. NR means the customer was there but the box wasn't ready. UPS has this idea that NR should be treated as CLO between 12-1, which is not the case.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

This is the correct answer. UPS makes up to 3 attempts excluding weekends and Saturdays.

Anything else is wrong.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The common sense thing would have been to pull all 4 tires.

The methods would have been to pull just 2 of the tires and reattempt the other 2.

I would have pulled all 4.
What if customer only has room to pick up 2 tires in his/ her trunk and files a complaint that the other two tires were supposed to be attempted still??

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've had 4 tires go to a house. Only one had a signature required. I left 3 tires and brought one back as ni1.
Must of been from the same company !!!! One of the Monday tires was a sig req. The others were not.
Tell me those boxes weren't a PITA. Took up almost all the space under the shelf. :proud:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
830 PM, closing supervisor gone, you're on your own
Stop overthinking this, LOL hahaha :hugs:
In that case by the book. Bring in two attempt the other two the next day.

Then the next morn tell your driver sup the other two tires are being held and ask if he'd like you to hold those also.

hardcharger

I would've also left the ones that didn't require signature and left notice on the one that required signature. In the other case I also would've tagged them all NI3 and let the clerks deal with it after that.