Hello everyone, I have a few questions

gator1873

I am in college in New Orleans, I am thinking about applying at UPS as a package handler in order to help pay for school, my questions are #1 Is New Orleans or Harvey a better locations to work in? #2 How does the Tuition Assistance program work? #3 I am 41 years old, is this job going to kill me? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Gator

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I am in college in New Orleans, I am thinking about applying at UPS as a package handler in order to help pay for school, my questions are #1 Is New Orleans or Harvey a better locations to work in? #2 How does the Tuition Assistance program work? #3 I am 41 years old, is this job going to kill me? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Gator
You would make more money and enjoy yourself more bagging groceries or working at a fast food or department store. Sorry. Sad but true.

gator1873

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I assume that why the turnover is a little high. Does anyone have anything positive to say? I see a lot of negative comments on the internet, I assume its do to the intense labor that's involved.

PT Car Washer

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I assume that why the turnover is a little high. Does anyone have anything positive to say? I see a lot of negative comments on the internet, I assume its do to the intense labor that's involved.
Or the cheap wages and lack of hours available unless you have a lot of seniority. Of course a lot of seniority could mean 6 months. Yeah a lot of turn over.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
With all due respect, the position of package handler is a young man's job. Having said that, are there people out there doing this job that are as old as 41? Yes. That entry level job can eat you up and spit you out. High turnover? Definately. With the lower wages and slow progression of pay, there are a lot of jobs available outside of this company that you can do better with. On the plus side, this job offers benefits such as insurance and paid vacations, and the UPS will not discriminate against you because of your age. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does the college tuition program work?

You pay for classes up front, submit your grades and are reimbursed up to $1,500 per semester. You need to make sure that your hub participates in the program as not all of them do. There is no requirement that you work x number of years in return-----you can quit as soon as you graduate with no repercussions.

Don't listen to the naysayers.

Dude846

Backpacks with Jets
41? Sweet Baby Seals. I'm 30 and think i'm too old for Box Handling.

If you're not in shape. You'll either get in shape or die trying to keep up with the pace.

Keep Icy Hot around and keep your joints good. You might want to look up some type of supplements to help you along. Learn to massage yourself, too. Recovery between shifts help keep my spirits high.

I take a lot of Protein, and i can definitely say over the course of a month I've put on muscle mass. Hydration is really important too. I sweat 5 minutes into my shift and all 2 hours throughout.

A lot of turnover in this job. It's not hard to see why either. It's physically and mentally exhausting. But after you've built walls of boxes you can say to yourself you've put in a good days work despite a desk job :P

PT Car Washer

41? Sweet Baby Seals. I'm 30 and think i'm too old for Box Handling.

If you're not in shape. You'll either get in shape or die trying to keep up with the pace.

Keep Icy Hot around and keep your joints good. You might want to look up some type of supplements to help you along. Learn to massage yourself, too. Recovery between shifts help keep my spirits high.

I take a lot of Protein, and i can definitely say over the course of a month I've put on muscle mass. Hydration is really important too. I sweat 5 minutes into my shift and all 2 hours throughout.

A lot of turnover in this job. It's not hard to see why either. It's physically and mentally exhausting. But after you've built walls of boxes you can say to yourself you've put in a good days work despite a desk job :P
I agree the job is physically exhausting. And for $35/day, or $175/week minus taxes and Union dues. The best part is free health benefits after a year and paid Holidays and two weeks paid vacation after the first year. Three weeks after two years. The pay still sucks until you make it FT and even than the job does not get any easier, only harder.