Hello Everyone...

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Okay so yesterday I 'worked' for 3 hours. It was basically a safety class where we learned about HazMat stuff and shipping papers...

Today I think we might get to do a little bit of unloading.

Reminds me of the song "we've only just begun"........
Just wait....keep us posted.
Do you know if you're an unloader? or a loader? :future:

SoyFish

I believe that I am going to be a loader.

Day 2 Update - We filled out more of the safety booklet and did some loading AND some unloading. I liked the loading part better than unloading, so it's good that I'm going to be a loader I guess. Hasen't gotten too bad yet.

The things we unloaded were like trailers that had little pods inside that were temperature controlled or something. There was like a cooler in there that said medical...so does UPS ship organs or something?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
The things we unloaded were like trailers that had little pods inside that were temperature controlled or something. There was like a cooler in there that said medical...so does UPS ship organs or something?

UPS allow some HAZMATS, it may have been...Bull Seman (YUP!:surprised:), vaccines, pharmaceuticals. These are the type of things that would be packed in dry ice.

SoyFish

Day 3 Update...
Watched a 40 minute video on loading, and Unloaded the air containers.

The other guy who got hired quit after 2 days...

It's not really that bad yet, hopefully I get to do some loading today. Everything is extremely repetitive, thats the only flaw lol.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Day 3 Update...
The other guy who got hired quit after 2 days...

It's not really that bad yet, hopefully I get to do some loading today. Everything is extremely repetitive, thats the only flaw lol.

It will be fairly repetative as there are items such as your HABITS, 8 Steps to Lifting and Lowering, 5 Steps to Slips and Falls, Conveyer Securing, What to do if you come across a leaking package...etc. that you are required to meorize and know.

Have they supplied you with the "little" pocketsize Cornerstone book for you to keep? If so a lot of the information is in there.

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
Cornerstone book? What is that? I'm telling you these little centers get the sharp stick in the eye all the time for stuff like that.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Do they have you filling out a white book? Cornerstone training is for all new employees.... What your job is, how to load, etc..? It is mostly fill in the blank.. it tracks your first (I want to say) 30 days...

Are you on UPSers.com?

SoyFish

Day 4...I got there and they were like we have a special assignment for you, since there weren't enough Sups to get me loading or whatever.

So my job was to catch all the Regents Exams off the belt and transfer them to another belt. The guy next to me scanned the packages. Wasn't really that boring, kinda fun, but halfway through they made me unload those stupid air contatiners...I hate those things.

After I unloaded those they told me to go back and gather the exams again and switch them to the other belt. Then I got to go home :)

Hopefully Day 5 will be some loading. Good thing it's Friday...

SoyFish

Day 5 was loading...I'm so glad the weekend is here.

The worst part about it is making sure the codes are right. THey had me jump into like 3 different trucks and I'm like what codes are supposed to go here. But at the end of the shift I was in one truck that only had one code go in it and I'm like if I get something like this its not that bad.

Stacking the stuff is tricky, but I got the hang of it as the night went on. I'm so slow at loading everything though, but it was the first day doing it so oh well.

SoyFish

Hows it going soyfish?

It's going good, thanks for asking. I'm getting used to the pace, and scanning the right packages. I'm pretty good at catching myself before I scan a package that doesn't go in the truck. It's Safety First, and after being safe I can focus on being efficient. Today is Wednesday so who knows what I'm loading today lol.

M

Mudak

I'm considering applying for this job.
Do they let you guys listen to iPhones when loading/unloading?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I'm considering applying for this job.
Do they let you guys listen to iPhones when loading/unloading?

OMG! I just read that three times...and couldn't believe my eyes all three...

Your considering applying to UPS and the first question you ask is...about your iPhone??

Do yourself a favor...don't bother.