Hello From North Carolina

Hello, I am from North Carolina and have an application in at ups for a package handler position in Raleigh. I have worked on a farm my whole life and thought that was what I would be doing the rest of my life, but to make a long story short along came the horrible economy and as bad as it is to say the family farm had to be put to the side. I am currently engaged and Im ready to start my life and want to work my way up in ups to become a delivery driver I know what hard work is without a dout and I love being active and orginized. Am I making a good choice? Any tips? I need someone that has experiance to give me some honest advice. Thanks in advance, Will Thomas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Will, first let me say that you live in a beautiful state. My daughter and son-in-law lived in Whitsett (just outside of Burlington) for a few years. A bit religious for my taste but a beautiful state nonetheless.

Back to your question--you will only be guaranteed 3.5 hours each day (17.5/week) so you may need to get a second job. It is not easy work and the starting pay sucks. You will not get your benefits for a year and 18 months for your family. The benefits make the sucky pay worth it--a lot of PTers work here just for the benefits.

As to how long it will take you to become a PC driver---there is no hard and fast answer. You will quickly learn that everything that UPS goes by seniority and you will drive when it is your turn. "Your turn" will be based on a lot of factors, including volume, retirements, separations and terminations.

Good luck to you both here and in your life with your soon-to-be bride.

Thanks UpstateNYUPSer, yea I live about 10 mins from burlington and 15 or 20 from whitsett, and I am a part-time mechanic in the afternoons and can still work on the farm as much as i want until I get the position that I want. I have my facility tour tues. at 5AM. If I get the job I will be working preload. Even though the benifits take a year to get it would be a huge plus for me as myself and my family have always had to pay our own insurance witch is very expensive. It seems as though UPS is a very good company to work for and job security is pretty good. Also it said on the application that the hours were 3.30 until 8.45 if thats so that would mean I will be able to pick up a few extra hours working that shift?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You may get a few extra hours during Christmas (which we call Peak) but, as with anything else, extra work is assigned by seniority.

As I remember Raleigh was about 45 minutes to an hour from Whitsett--that's a long way to drive for a part time job. I would highly recommend you get a second job.

Have you tried Greensboro? Yes, I know it is a rough city, but wouldn't it be closer?

Well I wasnt really refering to overtime I was just thinking that sunrise/preload shift lasted a little longer than the other shifts? And yes you are right the Raleigh hub is 40 mins from my home.I just recentlly purchased a diesel jetta the gets around 50mpg! And I am out in the country so I will have to drive to get a good city job. As far as greensboro its about the same distance from me that raleigh is and as you said, its a little rougher. Also I live right off of 64 witch is a straight shot to raleigh. Also around how long would you say it would take to get a few extra hours in on the weekend if thats even possible? Thanks again for your help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only weekend work that would normally be available would be air driving and again that would be by seniority. You may be able to double shift during the week (preload/metro) but that is also by seniority.

We are putting the cart before the horse---you need to get hired first.