Hello from the United Kingdom

These OSPs have brown uniforms but have some message printed on their shirts 'providing service on behalf of UPS' of something like that.
Most drive white vans which I presume are their own.

Quite a few owner-drivers have apparently left the Eastleigh site over the past six months, and they seem to have loads of office staff compared to our centre. Indeed a few have been training with us over the past few weeks, but none so far with me. With that in mind, I don't rule out being asked to spend some time assisting post June 21st.

jchimienti

that driver owning sounds like fedex's "independant contractors." and that must suck paying for gas in UK. what is it up to a gallon now? I know i get mine at 3.70 a gallon

DS

Fenderbender
Avoid the driver owned vehicle idea.Its a lot harder to pay the mortgage when your vehicle is your problem.The fedex ground and dhl drivers here have to pay for everything,they get about $3 a pkg...but they have no benefits ,think twice before you agree to this.

CBUK

They cant force the salary drivers to go owner driver. Its just something that looks like it will be introduced alongside what we have now. I would never go for it.

Diesel currently costs £1.25 for a litre. It looks like another price rise is on the horizon as well!

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
They cant force the salary drivers to go owner driver. Its just something that looks like it will be introduced alongside what we have now. I would never go for it.

Diesel currently costs £1.25 for a litre. It looks like another price rise is on the horizon as well!
how much is fish and chip oil a litre

jetset

pitch and toss
Jetset Demo,

Don't forget the threat to the union.
Don't toe the line and we as a company could/can/will
go 100 percent OSP.
The OSP concept is a good one but if the drivers were as good as ups drivers why work same job less money fewer benefits.
There are drivers then there are UPS drivers.

Jetset

CBUK

Thats a worry of mine. If the Union are not happy and take the matter to a head then UPS is in a position to either take more OSP contracts out and this makes the salaried UPS driver a target for all.

I take comfort in the knowledge that I am an exceptional driver and could rise above any untrained outsider. People may not like UPS methods but they are practical and they do work.

I am not a member of the Union and dont ever intend to be. My main concern is what course of action the union members might take.