Hello I am new

Thano

Hello I am a new permanent hired in Preloader and I was wondering after peak season will i have to switch to unloader and if so will my pay go down?

dillweed

Hello and welcome! You say you're a permanent but I believe if you were hired in Oct or after you're considered seasonal. Seasonals have no guarantee of being kept on. So it all depends on your hire date. You can always ask your union rep for details.

Also, when you're part of the preload you can be moved to whatever position they need. If you're doing a good job in your area chances are they will keep you there. Best of luck and feel free to join in our UPS discussions anytime.

Thano

Thanks for the info. heres another question if i get layoff for a couple months how does the union fees work then?

fethrs

Hi Thano welcome to the Brown Cafe. You need to find out if you are permanent or temporary. You may or may not get laid off after peak is over, it depends on the area you work in and the staffing at your facility. If you don't have many misloads as a pre-loader and work well you may not have to go back to unload.

As far as union dues and layoffs I am not sure, find out who your shop steward is and ask him/her. They can usually help you with union questions and maybe give you a copy of the union book.

Good luck.

Thano

Thanks Fethrs they keep telling me i'm permanent and I know I am getting money taken out of my paycheck ever week for the initiation fee, but i wouldn't mind going to unload if it meant that i could still work.

fethrs

Thanks Fethrs they keep telling me i'm permanent and I know I am getting money taken out of my paycheck ever week for the initiation fee, but i wouldn't mind going to unload if it meant that i could still work.

If that means you don't get laid off then go for it, better than not working at all and it will tell your management team you are willing to work to keep your job.